• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Today I Fly! Pack Blunders and etc.

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances SJPP to SdC Oct/Nov 2015
Frances Burgos toSdC March/April 2016
W. Highland Way August 2016
Camino Somewhere September 2017
6 AM Pac NW time. Last night--and yesterday--was a little bit difficult.

The day before, my friend the seamstress had offered to sew my backpack patches on. She accidentally sewed my top compartments--both inside and outside---closed, putting my Camino Forum patch right on top! Stitches went all the way through. Good heavens. That is not the phrase that I thought, actually. I muttered two words that I could not even pass through the forum as "an occasional slip".

At that point, I realized that it would be more important to go to church on Sunday than mess with the pack, which was going to be a project. Afterward, the man and I went out to McMenamin's (Brew pub and good brew eats) and had Sunday brunch--Dungeon burgers and ruby ale, finished off with a shared brownie. Then off to get the seam ripper.

It took me about two hours to deal with the forum patch. At one point, I told my husband, "*^&* it," I just don't have time for sewing it back on, but he gently reminded me of all the help I've gotten here. I am not a seamstress. A pianist, yes. A family care provider, yes. I probably qualify as dangerous with a needle in my hand.

Then it became a long session of want versus need. Despite my packing list, I am still feeling bad that I could not fit in my black long-legged thick tights. I will probably leave my stone on the mountain missing the silly things. Seriously. I have black pants. I have merino wool long underwear, much more realistic. But no.... My logical brain is arguing down the black tights.

This all becomes a moot point, though, with a 32 L pack. The sleeping back (super light in tight stuff sack) goes in. The rain poncho, a necessity, goes in. The crocs go in. Very little room for a wardrobe. Seriously, I hate to get mercenary. I was NOT going to attach my bag at the bottom and have it annoy me for 500 miles.

See some of you out there! Buen Camino---

Deb

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

The day before, my friend the seamstress had offered to sew my backpack patches on. She accidentally sewed my top compartments--both inside and outside---closed, putting my Camino Forum patch right on top! Stitches went all the way through. Good heavens. That is not the phrase that I thought, actually. I muttered two words that I could not even pass through the forum as "an occasional slip".

At that point, I realized that it would be more important to go to church on Sunday than mess with the pack, which was going to be a project. Afterward, the man and I went out to McMenamin's (Brew pub and good brew eats) and had Sunday brunch--Dungeon burgers and ruby ale, finished off with a shared brownie. Then off to get the seam ripper.

It took me about two hours to deal with the forum patch. At one point, I told my husband, "*^&* it," I just don't have time for sewing it back on, but he gently reminded me of all the help I've gotten here. I am not a seamstress. A pianist, yes. A family care provider, yes. I probably qualify as dangerous with a needle in my hand.

Then it became a long session of want versus need. Despite my packing list, I am still feeling bad that I could not fit in my black long-legged thick tights. I will probably leave my stone on the mountain missing the silly things. Seriously. I have black pants. I have merino wool long underwear, much more realistic. But no.... My logical brain is arguing down the black tights.

This all becomes a moot point, though, with a 32 L pack. The sleeping back (super light in tight stuff sack) goes in. The rain poncho, a necessity, goes in. The crocs go in. Very little room for a wardrobe. Seriously, I hate to get mercenary. I was NOT going to attach my bag at the bottom and have it annoy me for 500 miles.

Deb
I love the tale of the sewn up compartments as it makes me feel less foolish having done the same thing myself prior to my last Camino.I wish you well on your Camino,may your God guide your footsteps and keep you safe.Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Stuff everything into your backpack nice and tight. Close it and tighten the pull strings all the way down. Open the pack-top straps all the way and place your sleeping bag on top! Out and on top of the pack. Firmly secured by the straps, in its water-proof draw bag and covered with the pack top. Far enough back so it won't hit your head, high above your...sitting down place. The top straps of my Vaude backpack are long enough that they hold both the sleeping bag and my dirty laundry bag outside the backpack!

The best planning... Packing is the reality check. Once you are boots on the ground it will just be a funny memory.
After two weeks you will question the need for an extra set of cloths
Have a wonderful time!

Ah, ha! That's what comes if leaving things to the last minute:mad: this is typically me, who never packs her pack until the night before leaving ( sometimes I've done it the same morning too - we have a late afternoon flight).
However, this year, I had Forum badges hanging around for the last 7 months, waiting to be sewn on. Fortunately, for some unknown reason, I ' got my act together' and actually sewed them on ( hubbies too) about 2 weeks before leaving. Thank goodness I did, because a few days later I slipped and broke my right wrist, so it would have been impossible to have done that task!
Anyway, Deb, Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Deb
:):):) Funny story especially about the patch. I can also relate to your packing conundrum. I'll lay out my gear the remove stuff I really don't need. When it come time to depart I stuff the Don't Need items into my carry on bag and take it anyway o_O. On the plus side, my pack is 40L and it all fits :cool:. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Deb
Enjoy your trip - I know you will. Buen camino - Cherry

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Buen Camino Deb. I wish you all the very best, and look forward to hearing of your tales and adventures in due course.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Deb

There had to be some last-minute glitch, you know! :):rolleyes: Now that's past - you're probably already on your way, but all good wishes for the flight(s) and getting over there, then... Buen camino! Time to let it all go, breathe, and walk. You made it! Thinking of you and looking forward to hearing how you are going.

Deb
I had to laugh, sorry. So many of us are far from the perfect packers ( those who are so kind to share their sensible packing lists). I put my own badges on but got that done quite a while before, as I knew it would be a 'task' for me. I'm more like the 'annakappa' packer myself.

It's going to be a fun Camino for you and looking forward to hearing more.

Annie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have a couple of KG of patches I'd love to sew on but I keep changing my mind (7 months in advance) on which pack to take!!!

Stuff everything into your backpack nice and tight. Close it and tighten the pull strings all the way down. Open the pack-top straps all the way and place your sleeping bag on top! Out and on top of the pack. Firmly secured by the straps, in its water-proof draw bag and covered with the pack top. Far enough back so it won't hit your head, high above your...sitting down place. The top straps of my Vaude backpack are long enough that they hold both the sleeping bag and my dirty laundry bag outside the backpack!

Having a 24 hour internet connection I came right here to see the news, and...
Oh, my.....
Well, you get points for the most creative last minute glitch ever!
By now it will have been sorted one way or another, and will likely already be on your way.
I sent you a PM but will wish you the very best journey here too...
a very heartfelt Buen Camino!!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Great story! Love it! About three weeks after my 13 year old son and I got home we were looking at some C pics and I said geez, your mom (me) looks like a bag lady in most of these pics...he said "ha, yeah!"... And I realized it was because I had left some things in Madrid and other elsewhere as I shed things, and really pared to the essentials. By then, nothing matched. And happily I didn't care much. Since we were not walking more than two weeks, I had wondered how much more I would have packed and came up with the same answer....not much differently from the pared down version.....Buen Camino Debrita - and have a lovely time!

Deb
and after all of that, all I can say is: Buen Camino and hope that the black tights did in fact make it into the bag......hugs.

I'm not going again until next year (all being well) but I two days ago I took my patches of one bag to go onto it's replacement. These patches have been on and of so many bags! They are about to find their 5th home!

I'm not going again until next year (all being well) but I two days ago I took my patches of one bag to go onto it's replacement. These patches have been on and of so many bags! They are about to find their 5th home!
How many patches are you sporting? Just curious as you mentioned you have reduced the size of your packs... The smaller the less surface area to find room. The shell alone takes a good amount

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I tried gluing my patches on and they all came off. I sit here sometimes wondering if I'll ever get back on the camino. I need to think positive so I'm going to get busy and sew my patches on.

You're already on the camino, Debrita, but if you should read this along the way -- here's another buen camino for you! I'm getting ready to sew my forum patch on this afternoon. I'll be doubly careful not to sew my pack together in the process. That's exactly the kind of thing I'm likely to do. :eek:

Have a wonderful camino!
Looking forward to hearing about your journey :)
Rita

Maybe the patches have sewn up the compartments to provide that you don't take unnecessary weight?

Everything happens for a reason :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I just sent my sleeping bag on to Ivar! I have been too warm at nights so voile! May be sleeping in all my clothes later!!

I just sent my sleeping bag on to Ivar! I have been too warm at nights so voile! May be sleeping in all my clothes later!!
You are being brave, but there is usually no lack of Blankets or are you staying in those fancy places with bedding:)

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back