• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tonight I start packing. But where to walk?

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2009-2022: CFx6, CP, VdlPx2, Mozarabe, more later.
Well, friends, it's time:

My backpack is on the floor. I am gathering my stuff, packing veery light: 7 kgs. However, I am going to Alicante on Monday morning for a 10 days of Easter celebration with my girlfriend. When I send her home, I will then attend 1 month at a Spanish language school in Alicante, living within a Spanish family provided for me by the school, and after that: Another Camino! Honing my new and improved Spanish language skills, I hope.

But: what Camino? I am tempted to simply take a train to Pamplona via Barcelona and do another CF. But I have the option, being in Alicante, to take the Camino Sureste whivh starts in Alicante. However, as I like to walk in solitude, I am also a social animal, and maybe the Sureste (Alicante and on to Santiago) will be too lonely for me. On that Camino I suspect I will be walking in complete solitude...?

Also, on the CF, you will meet a lot of people who are troubled, searching; maybe I can give a word or two for comfort. I don't know.

As you may understand, I have no time limits, and no direction limits. I just need to walk. But what Way?!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
AlexWalker, I had the similar thoughts--balancing wanting both solitude and the gladness that comes on the CF from company.
So I'll be walking 3 days into Burgos from Santo Domingo de Silos--a part-day on the Lana and then on the Camino de San Olav from Covarrubias to Burgos. Serious Norweigan connections, there, by the way...
I wish I had time to walk all the way to Santiago after joining the Frances, but I don't. If I did, here's what I'd be thinking:
1. Walk to Leon and then head over the mountains on the San Salvador to the Primativo, or
2. Walk on the Frances as far as Ponferrada and peel off on the Invierno
Well, yes...you'll already be in Alicante, but these options allow both solitude and company. And if your heart says do the Frances... 'Just do it.';)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If it were I, the possibility of starting to walk from "home" (though it's only been home for a month) would be the real attraction. You'll intersect with the Levante at many points, so you can weave back and forth, and maybe you'll be lucky like I was to meet up with two others. And as Viranani says, you can always take a bus or train to some other point where the flow of pilgrims is assured!

Have a great month of April in Alicante. I started on May 1 from Valencia and it was an absolutely great time of year to walk from that part of Spain. Lucky you. Buen camino, Laurie

Alex: You can start from Alicante on the Camino del Sureste which will join the Camino Levante just before Albacete. But the whole way is 761.66 km to Benavente.

http://pilgrim.peterrobins.co.uk/routes/details/sureste.html

Laurie: I will be walking the Vasco del Interior (Tunnel route) from Irun to Sto. Domingo del Calzada (the chicken church) on May 5th (Yes, planned two years ago but circumstances changed that Camino Levante over last two years).

The Tunnel route is 8 days so might be an option for you Alex although it starts in the north east end of Spain.

Well, friends, it's time:

My backpack is on the floor. I am gathering my stuff, packing veery light: 7 kgs. However, I am going to Alicante on Monday morning for a 10 days of Easter celebration with my girlfriend. When I send her home, I will then attend 1 month at a Spanish language school in Alicante, living within a Spanish family provided for me by the school, and after that: Another Camino! Honing my new and improved Spanish language skills, I hope.

But: what Camino? I am tempted to simply take a train to Pamplona via Barcelona and do another CF. But I have the option, being in Alicante, to take the Camino Sureste whivh starts in Alicante. However, as I like to walk in solitude, I am also a social animal, and maybe the Sureste (Alicante and on to Santiago) will be too lonely for me. On that Camino I suspect I will be walking in complete solitude...?

Also, on the CF, you will meet a lot of people who are troubled, searching; maybe I can give a word or two for comfort. I don't know.

As you may understand, I have no time limits, and no direction limits. I just need to walk. But what Way?!

Holla,
I'm taking Spanish also, never thought of taking class in Spain. Could you send me the name of the school ? I had the same wondering spirit on my last Camino. Started in St. Jean, to Pamplona, then went to San Sebastian to Oviedo, walked the San Salvador to Leon, met my wife in Leon walked to Santiago. So one thing you know for sure is " You Never Know " Thinking of Via La Plata next May ? Buen Camino! wherever you go, Cliff

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
CF. Just do it! You know you want to.

AlexWalker, I had the similar thoughts--balancing wanting both solitude and the gladness that comes on the CF from company.
So I'll be walking 3 days into Burgos from Santo Domingo de Silos--a part-day on the Lana and then on the Camino de San Olav from Covarrubias to Burgos. Serious Norweigan connections, there, by the way...
Covarubbios is on my list this year! Have wanted to for a long time...

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Holla,
I'm taking Spanish also, never thought of taking class in Spain. Could you send me the name of the school ?

www.enforex.com

Very affordable: Ca. 1.350 Euros for 4 weeks schooling, 5 hours/day, 5 days/week, incl. stay with a Spanish family, breakfast & dinner included. In other words, all you need for 4 weeks.

VdlP is GREAT! Do it!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Great info about the school - thank you for sharing! Would love to hear what you think of the school after it's done, and how much you feel your Spanish improves. Buen Camino on whichever route you select!

I'm also very keen to hear how the language school goes as it's something that I have been thinking of doing next year. Buen Camino, Alexwalker, whichever you choose.

Covarubbios is on my list this year! Have wanted to for a long time...
And Santo Domingo de Silos is a morning's walk in one direction on the Lana...Santa Mara de Lara (a Visigothic church) ditto in the other direction, along the St Olav. How can you go wrong? I'll post notes here.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Great info about the school - thank you for sharing! Would love to hear what you think of the school after it's done, and how much you feel your Spanish improves. Buen Camino on whichever route you select!
Will post my experience here on this good forum. Thank you!

I'm also very keen to hear how the language school goes as it's something that I have been thinking of doing next year. Buen Camino, Alexwalker, whichever you choose.

Walk in peace, friend. I will most likely do another CF...I love the peace of the Meseta...;)

As for my language school: I understand it will be interesting for quite a few of you, so I will post my experiences here. What I can say so far is:

I have been treated very politely by various staff. They have a high-speed response time. I have paid my dues via secure Net, and they have been recognised immediately. I have received proper receipts that I can show, in a speedy manner. I have been assigned to a local Spanish living quarter with detailed information. It took just hours after I paid my dues. I am a bit surprised at the level of professional and caring attitude I have received. Very pleased, confident, and looking forward to it all. I will be working hard, because I want to be able to communicate in respect, not just being thought of as another ignorant tourist.

School address again: www.enforex.com

Last edited:
Backpack weight: 7.47 kgs. A few hours sleep, and then off. Unfortunately, flight control people in France on strike till Tuesday, so may have a longer/different flight than originally booked. May even have to stay overnight in Oslo..

We'll see.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Will post my experience here on this good forum. Thank you!

Walk in peace, friend. I will most likely do another CF...I love the peace of the Meseta...;)

As for my language school: I understand it will be interesting for quite a few of you, so I will post my experiences here. What I can say so far is:

I have been treated very politely by various staff. They have a high-speed response time. I have paid my dues via secure Net, and they have been recognised immediately. I have received proper receipts that I can show, in a speedy manner. I have been assigned to a local Spanish living quarter with detailed information. It took just hours after I paid my dues. I am a bit surprised at the level of professional and caring attitude I have received. Very pleased, confident, and looking forward to it all. I will be working hard, because I want to be able to communicate in respect, not just being thought of as another ignorant tourist.

School address again: www.enforex.com

I attended the Enforex school in Alicante several years ago. Over all it was a good experience. I stayed in shared student apartment which was not a good experience; I would try family stay if I went again.

One thing to consider is that most of the students, particularly in the tourist places, are in their early twenties. You can make friends but they are not peers.

Enforex has several schools across Spain and Latin America. So does it's partner school at Don Quijote. I attended Don Quijote schools in Granada and in Guanjuato Mexico. Both of these places offer a significantly richer cultural experience than does Alicante. Sun drenched Alicante beaches are a tourist magnet for all of Europe.

I was at the Don Quijote school in Salamanca where several balconies cascaded onto the street in front of me on my way 'home' to the apartment and was the deciding factor in going to another place. The school was very professional about getting a transfer to the Enforex school in Alicante.

It is possible to take the DELE exam at U of Alicante.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back