• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Toronto senior 79, female plans walk Sarria to Santiago

koby

I'm 79 years of age, female, Canadian, living in the Toronto area, hoping to walk the Sarria to Santiago walk in spring 2012. While my health is excellent, I have problem feet that are more or less under control but I would train to make this journey, right now I walk about 40mins-1hr. per day. I know many make this walk with physical handicaps far more severe than mine.

I would like to join a small group tour with 2* or 3* star accommodations, but many are already sold out during popular periods. Does one have to make arrangements far in advance or is it possible to make reservations two or three months ahead with a reliable company? As a single the costs are quite high with airfare and sharing is a possibility but poses some problems should I not be able to make it. I am reading the countless posts and Q&A's -- I like the byline above "Where past pilgrims share and future pilgrims learn." So here I am. :)

I have become familiar with a number of the tour companies. Recommendations, tips would be appreciated. Thanks for any info help.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Koby.

Can't help with the group info but can I suggest that you use the edit button to remove your email address?

It is normal for replies to be either posted here or sent to you via the PM button. You can use the control panel so that you receive an email to say that a PM has arrived.

I am certain someone here will have the answer you require. I also believe that Ivar runs a travel centre to help people make their Caminos and he has much information at his fingertips. There will be a link here somewhere. If all else fails send him a PM.

If you scroll the portal page you will come to a section dedicated to the "Organised Tour". Have you found it and have you used it?

Glad to hear that 79 is the new 49. :D

Hi Koby,
Are you in touch with a 'Confraternity of St. James'? I am not sure if there are regular meetings near Toronto. If there are you may find help and advice there, and who knows - maybe even a friend for your Camino. There are many groups walk from Sarria and I very much doubt if you need be alone - unless you want to be!
Go for it girl!

Blessings
Tio Tel

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Canada also has the nationwide "Little Company of Pilgrims". Google them.

methodist.pilgrim.98 said:
Canada also has the nationwide "Little Company of Pilgrims". Google them.

Not quite ''nationwide''.

French Canada has its own named ''Du Québec à Compostelle''.

See it here: http://www.duquebecacompostelle.org/

For the Canadian Company of Pilgrims (notice the name change),
go there: http://www.santiago.ca/ben.html

Bonne route,
Jean-Marc
P-S. I'm a happy member of both.

Thank you for letting me know about the name change.

I met a Canadian pilgrim in 2004 who had sown the Little Company of Pilgrims badge on her rucksack. It had a certain style.

It might no longer be a factually accurate name, but it had a sense of the old, pioneer frontier about it. I'm sorry it's changed. :(

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It was originally called the Little Company as the group's founder, Fr Ben Lochridge, was a devoté of
S Francis of Assisi. Sadly, knowledge of Francis' preference of minimizing the importance of things just ended up confusing people and the name was changed about five years ago.

The Québec group is extremely active and likely twice the size of the CCoP-- the Camino is the place where anglophone Canadians get to enjoy being a linguistic minority! In any case, the Toronto chapter of the CCoP has twice-annual meetings, usually with an attendance of about 200, and I am sure that the chapter leadership will be happy to help answer questions. PM me and I can put Koby in touch.

Hi Koby,

Why a group tour?
Infrastructure is excellent on the Camino.
Reservation will not be necessary. There is lots, and lots of accommodation.
And why such a small part?
I met an elder lady from Australia, Veronica, age 70+
She said to me:
"You know, I only walk 10 miles a day,
but I'll arrive at Santiago as well"

I met her a few times, because she took some bus-stages.
Saw her the last time in Sahagun, I think, but I am convinced that she reached Santiago.

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo.

Why a tour? People walk for different reasons, I will not walk for the challenge or to prove anything, but for spiritual reasons. Apart from problem feet both my knees have been replaced and my arms and hands also pose problems. In the coming months I hope to strengthen my body, my mind and my resolve. I recognize my limitations and at 80, will be grateful there is a way I may be able to make this journey.

In 1970 my husband (who was doing business in Portugal) and I were driven to Fatima from Leiria. Along the way were many pilgrims and it was explained that most had little, had travelled far and for days and weeks. We saw them as they rested/slept and camped by the roadside. It was an exposure to humility I'll never forget it.

Thank you for your answers and I continue to follow up.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Buen Camino to you Koby:

While I have never done the group thing, I believe walking in the Spring should make the trip fairly easy from the point of accomodations. You are also walking the most active part of the trail so I assume many tour groups are set up to serve this section of the Camino.

Everyone walks the Camino for their own reasons and their own way. My advice to you is to do whatever makes you the most comfortable.

Ultreya,
Joe

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.