• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Towel reviews

DeniseT

Time of past OR future Camino
Future:) 01 Jun 2017 SJPDP
hi All,
Ok never been so excited with my recent purchase of ear plugs Hehehehe
Anyone used the sea to summit large dry lite trek towel, It seems a good weight, appears to tick all the boxes, except I am trying to pack and most stuff has two usages.
Do you think a foldable cup is a good necessity for those stops in the middle of nowhere ( yes I I have camel pack) ? Pros and cons???

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I had no need for a foldable cup, but some like to bring one.
Last year I used the Sea to Summit Pocket Towel, but I have bought a PackTowl Ultralite, and it's only 3.4 ounces for the body size. I have tried it out at home, and while the texture of the towel is a little different, it did a great job of drying me off.

I use a shemagh (arab scarf) for a towel, it has many other uses too. It is very light and dries extremely quickly.

No need for a cup (unless you carry bottles of wine around like I do)!

Davey

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Cup - carried one and used it regularly. Useful, but not essential.
Towel - I carry two face flannel sized micro-fibre cloths - one to wash, one to dry - but you might see that I don't have a lot of hair left to dry, and it would be no surprise if you needed something larger.

Bringing my foldable cup......drawbacks....cold to tepid fluids only......cant enjoy a bocadillo at the same time. Ive stitched two Aldi microfibre travel cloths together, so now about the length of a basic towel but a little skinnier....seems to work....4oztmp_30777-20170319_210204-1880701064.jpg

Just bought a metal cup to bring for the first time. I have to admit that I was envious of those who had a cup dangling from their backs and could simply use it when they found a fountain, keeping their packed water for later on. Haging to take off you pack to refil can be a pain when using a Camelback or even bottles on side of your pack when walking alone.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Look at the dimensions: those camping towels come in so many sizes, there's no need to take one that's too big. It will weigh more when damp and be a pain if it's needlessly large. You don't need it to wrap around you, all the showers are cubicles.

My towel was a LifeVenture trek towel. I had the xlarge size and it worked well. Presumably similar to the Sea to Summit version. I also have a small size for drying my hair and as it was too wide I trimmed and re-hemmed it. It also came in useful for helping to dry clothes by rolling them in the towel (after my shower).

Look at the dimensions: those camping towels come in so many sizes, there's no need to take one that's too big. It will weigh more when damp and be a pain if it's needlessly large. You don't need it to wrap around you, all the showers are cubicles.
Most showers are cubicules. Lugo certainly is one large open space with a number of shower heads all facing each others. Not that a towel of any size will remdedy that. It was like being back in boarding school, with much aged and abused bodies though... o_O

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Just bought a metal cup to bring for the first time. I have to admit that I was envious of those who had a cup dangling from their backs and could simply use it when they found a fountain, keeping their packed water for later on. Haging to take off you pack to refil can be a pain when using a Camelback or even bottles on side of your pack when walking alone.
Hmm, you're making me rethink a cup...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Anemone del Camino funny I was just thinking of Lugo as the one exception when I wrote that. We ladies agreed to hang a t shirt on the door handle as a sign it was in use. I remember having a blissful shower in there.
I remember the door being constantly opened and men parading outside of it putting us in full view. THAT did NOT happen in boarding school! :p

For towels, I've not been a fan of all the newer microfiber travel towels as they don't really make me feel "dry". I had read a great tip on the forum 2 years ago from Anniesantiago. She loves resale shopping like me and had recommended looking for an "infant towel". They are made of thin cotton flannel. I purchased mine for only $1 dollar US and I love it. It folds up very small, absorbs lots of water and dries overnight hanging from the foot rail of the bunks. They are not real big, however, so gals with really long hair might find them not large enough. My hair length is above my shoulders.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Last year I had made a hair "turban" out of a Sea to Summit towel for my long hair. Unfortunately, I lost it somehow before Burgos. After that I used my Buff to dry my hair

My number one, most surprising, favourite item is a plastic cup with a lid. It's great as a cup whenever needed. I also used it to pack food snacks (i.e., peeled oranges) in and/or to take leftovers away. The one I used was by Ball (as in Ball mason jars) - plastic cup with screw on lid.

Most showers are cubicules. Lugo certainly is one large open space with a number of shower heads all facing each others. Not that a towel of any size will remdedy that. It was like being back in boarding school, with much aged and abused bodies though... o_O
Ponte de Lima also. Ladies' is a large tiled room with 2 shower heads on each of the short walls (4 all told) and a window in the middle opposite the partition-and-door. I don't remember any hooks or racks for stuff other than the windowsill. And it reminded me of junior high school.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hmm, you're making me rethink a cup...
me too...a titanium one, super light
that way I fill my water bottles, but could very well leave them alone, and use them only if need be, drinking out of the cup at the fountains etc

Ponte de Lima also. Ladies' is a large tiled room with 2 shower heads on each of the short walls (4 all told) and a window in the middle opposite the partition-and-door. I don't remember any hooks or racks for stuff other than the windowsill. And it reminded me of junior high school.
Glad I stayed at the Juvenil!

I carried my cup the entire way last summer and never used it even once. Towels--we had those sea to summit microfiber towels that never really make you feel dry, but are very small, light, and dry quickly. I have to say I loved it when I stayed in places with private rooms were towels were provided. Such a luxury!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I carried my cup the entire way last summer and never used it even once. Towels--we had those sea to summit microfiber towels that never really make you feel dry, but are very small, light, and dry quickly. I have to say I loved it when I stayed in places with private rooms were towels were provided. Such a luxury!
When I stayed in a private room with private bath I usually took two showers, one in the afternoon, then again in the morning - so decadent!

After trying nearly every purpose-made traveling or camping towel out there, I gradually came to the realization that I was wasting my money. As a result, I have a large shopping bag filled with all these not inexpensive microfiber and microfleece contraptions. They are no longer used, and are near to being donated...

The problems are that:
  • I have too much "me" to dry with anything small...I AM a rather large fellow.
  • I insist that everything I carry have multiple uses, the more the easier the rationale for toting the item. A basic travel towel is good for only one thing.
So, my solution, as odd as it seems, is to carry a a bright orange Gaiam Yoga Mat Towel, the type without the grippy - nonskid dots on one side. Of course, any brand will do. Here is why I opted to go this way, consider the many uses:

1. The yoga towel is long enough and wide enough (24" w x 68" long) to wrap around my prodigious frame, coming out of a semi-public shower...one would not want to be responsible for the ensuring horror or nightmares amongst the others... I can then discretely put on a clean pair of boxer shorts under the towel.

2. Even after I towel dry, the yoga towel can be used to "roll and stomp" water from already wrung-out hand washed clothing. The resulting damp clothing dries VERY fast indeed, unless it is cotton. Then again, you WERE warned.

3. The yoga towel dries very fast as it is a terry fleeced microfiber material. It can be hung or attached to the outside of my rucksack.

4. The yoga towel is large enough to use clothes pins or duck tape to form a privacy barrier if one finds them selves in an albergue situation with too-close adjacent bunks. For me the issue is less privacy than it is preventing contracting a respiratory illness.

5. I chose orange as my color so the yoga towel can be used hung on my rucksack as a bright colored panel to identify me to motorists, and as a signal panel in some weird emergency.

6. The yoga towel can be spread out and used atop "sketchy" or suspicious linens at an albergue.

7. The yoga towel can be used as a shawl or scarf type cover if the evening is chilly and my sleeping bag liner is not enough. (I eschew sleeping bags due to weight as I need synthetic fill for my allergies and anything pother than down is heavier).

8. If one gets a freak cold weather or snowfall at altitude (it DOES happen) the yoga towel becomes a head scarf...plus it is orange for safety and visibility if road-walking.

9. I suppose that one could even use the yoga towel to do yoga along the way, not for me, but it IS another use. I HAVE seen others doing yoga while on Camino.

I think that is about it. These are uses I have actually employed on one or another of my Caminos...except for the emergency signaling device, which I fortunately have not yet had to resort to.

I hope this helps.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Towel: After many caminos I use a worn out terry cloth bath towel cut in half. Lightweight, absorbent, dries fast, free
Cup: Never needed one

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.