• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trainline and registering!

Anniespar

Time of past OR future Camino
I'm doing the Camino in April 2024
Hi all! New future Camino trail pilgrim here!! I'm travelling to Sarria in April and I'm trying to register on Trainline but it won't allow me. I tried creating a password and it just gives me an error message - any reason why?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It looks like there are four ways to log in on my computer. Three are through social media accounts and one is through email.

It looks like you can also buy a ticket as a guest and then register for an account.

I've had my account a few years now and don't remember having any trouble, but I am in the US. Perhaps some other Canadians will weigh in?

I am in the US and almost exclusively use trainline in Europe. I do not have the app installed, I have never set up an account, and have never had a problem. I will soon be purchasing an online ticket for mid April from Madrid to Salamanca, and hope their website is still user friendly.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The advantage for me to use trainline with the app or by logging into my account is that it keeps our Tarjeta Dorada numbers on file and I don't have to look them up when I want to book something. It automatically gives me the Sr discount with that information. I do have to look up my passport number as it won't save that in my account info.

I will try to install the app as well, this might be better.
As a side note the Renfe App and website work well, but only show Renfe trains. I find sometimes I can book a train in the website that the App doesn’t allow, but usually the App is fine and it retains my booking information like J Willhaus does with Trainline.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As a side note the Renfe App and website work well, but only show Renfe trains. I find sometimes I can book a train in the website that the App doesn’t allow, but usually the App is fine and it retains my booking information like J Willhaus does with Trainline.
Yea, I also have the RENFE app, but it won't let me pay with my US credit card, while the Trainline App does.

Yea, I also have the RENFE app, but it won't let me pay with my US credit card, while the Trainline App does.
I wonder if it’s your credit card company, I bought 2 different sets of tickets on the App for my trip this spring about 15 minutes ago, no problem.IMG_7713.jpeg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I live in Canada and use the Trainline app with no problems. Try the app…I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you! 🤞

I live in Canada and use the Trainline app with no problems. Try the app…I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you! 🤞
Thanks, I'm in Ontario and use TD and a TD Infinite Visa card - I'll use that card later today and see how it goes!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm travelling to Sarria in April and I'm trying to register on Trainline but it won't allow me. I tried creating a password and it just gives me an error message - any reason why?
Welcome @Anniespar!

FWIW, I just created an account on thetrainline.com / thetrainline.eu. I used the "Register" button. I used my email address for this and not my Google, Facebook or Apple account which are also offered as an option. I created a password conform with their requirements. The language was set to "English" (no automatic browser translation involved). The account was created without any problems.

FWIW again, US credit cards with low security level are rejected by some websites in Spain and in some other countries because they require a higher security level for online payment by credit card. Trainline is not one of these websites and, anyway, that is not the issue that you describe.

Best of luck and buen camino!

Be careful using Trainline. Renfe may not change your ticket if you want to take either an earlier or a later train. If you buy it from Trainline, you have to negotiate with them - which might not be all that easy if you’re at a station just wanting to rearrange your ticket.

Mostly everything's going to work perfectly, but every article I ever read about people having problems changing tickets or getting refunds, says it's better to book directly with whoever you're traveling with. If there's a problem, you'll have to negotiate through a third-party representative. I can't imagine saving a few minutes is worth it unless you're really getting a discount. Why not book directly with RENFE.es?

I'll often use third party apps like Trainline, Omio, or even Google Maps to locate trains or buses because sometimes their search functions are easier. But then I'll try to book directly.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Maybe try using Raileurope.com ? This links direct to Renfe and according to Seat61.com, doesn't have the credit card rejection problems that Renfe has.

Trainline may be convenient but often costs more. Sometimes a lot more. I've just bought a ticket from Bratislava to Prague direct and saved over a third of the price compared with trainline.

Seat61.com has excellent advice on train travel and guides to using various local providers

Here is a different approach to your problems. Do you use a VPN on your computing device for increased security? That can produce errors, especially for international sites (to you).

Also, what browser are you using? I find that some sites do NOT like the Chrome browser. In these cases, I turn off my VPN for 5 minutes, then use Safari (the native Apple browser) to log in.

I find that the latter approach usually always works for me.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The advantage for me to use trainline with the app or by logging into my account is that it keeps our Tarjeta Dorada numbers on file and I don't have to look them up when I want to book something. It automatically gives me the Sr discount with that information. I do have to look up my passport number as it won't save that in my account info.

Where does this info go? I can’t even find that any of my info is in the app? I’m a little technically challenged.

Where does this info go? I can’t even find that any of my info is in the app? I’m a little technically challenged.
When I log in, I am able to "add a passenger" when I buy tickets. It asks if you have any kind of discount card (like the tarjeta dorada) and it asks if I want to save the passenger information. It will not save my passport number and that has to be entered separately each time.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When I log in, I am able to "add a passenger" when I buy tickets. It asks if you have any kind of discount card (like the tarjeta dorada) and it asks if I want to save the passenger information. It will not save my passport number and that has to be entered separately each time.
That part drives me a little crazy because I can see my passport number in my Renfe profile on the App but it doesn’t move it over for me. Since I know it’s there I forget it doesn’t transfer it to the booking, then I have to go get it. I get why they want you to type it in, but I’m not sure why it stays in my profile if it won’t transfer.
Another Spanish mystery like the xraying of some luggage at Atocha and others they don’t bother checking…

Be careful using Trainline. Renfe may not change your ticket if you want to take either an earlier or a later train. If you buy it from Trainline, you have to negotiate with them - which might not be all that easy if you’re at a station just wanting to rearrange your ticket.
Well... IIRC thats the situation with lots of 3-rd party purchases. and I can also understand the reluctance on switching from one train to another; as we all know there are some trains where one gets fare discounts usually based on departure times\Time of the day. So, one buys this discounted fare and then tries to switch it to a diferent one. - no go! not sure if one is willing to pay the difference. ...
IMHO in the end - it is somewhat up to you to figure out your schedule and stick to it. I've bought tickets for the trains and if I show up at the station earlier (because I was done with whatever it was I was doing) and was told that I cannot move to an earlier train, reckon I just wait until "my" train.
I'm sure there is a Pub nearby and I am just equally sure that it is 5 o'clock somewhere .... ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When I used PayPal to buy something in a foreign country there is a currency conversion charge. My credit card does not charge me that. I did use it one time a few years ago and was charged a fee. Then I went ahead and got Trainline based on information from here on the forum which accepts my credit card.

In spite of a few negative replies here, I have always been happy with Trainline. It accepts my US credit cards and is an English speaking website. I had an issue last year when booking; I had accidently entered my email address with a typo; one letter was wrong. I wondered why the tickets didn't show up in my email, so I eventually was able to contact them. The tickets had been sent to someone else, but Trainline customer service quickly resolved it and sent me the new tickets pronto...I was impressed.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Trainline’s also improved it’s interconnection with the train operating companies in recent years. I have no experience of changing a booking (either with RENFE or Trainline) as I tend to book non-refundable tickets. But when RENFE cancelled a train on me earlier this year, even though I’d booked with Trainline, the refund arrived within the hour. I read up on this st the time and IIRC they have a ‘native’ connection to RENFE; such that you can do with them what you could do direct.

I’m not certain that makes sense even to me, but make of it what you will.

Hi all! New future Camino trail pilgrim here!! I'm travelling to Sarria in April and I'm trying to register on Trainline but it won't allow me. I tried creating a password and it just gives me an error message - any reason why?
I opened an account last year For Trainline to book my Train Ticket from Madrid to Pamplona, Santiago to Madrid and my bus ticket for Pamplona to SJPP on my laptop. Its nice you can get train and bus tickets on there website. Then I found they had a phone app so I downloaded the phone app and my bus and train tickets came automatically to my phone app which was nice because when my plane got delayed by 4 hours at my layover in Toronto I knew I was going to miss my train from Madrid to Pamplona. I just pulled out phone my, went to app and hit cancel train ticket. When I got to Madrid airport I received a message from Trainline saying Ticket cancelled successfully. it was that easy and I could still keep track of my other two tickets.

I have always used Renfe directly but went with Trainline this year because it was showing a two-change itinerary that didn’t come up on Renfe. My walking partner figured out how to buy it on Renfe directly.

Difference in price — Trainline $154 US, Renfe $110 US.

I’m not complaining because the Renfe website was driving me crazy, but just a heads up that it’s not cheap. That’s a 40% markup.

€60,-
I just booked a ticket from Santiago to Madrid on trainline. It was pretty straight forward. When I looked at this on other websites the ticket price was about the same but they did disclose they would add another charge at checkout. One was about $21 and the other was $48. Thanks for sharing.

I just booked a ticket from Santiago to Madrid on trainline. It was pretty straight forward. When I looked at this on other websites the ticket price was about the same but they did disclose they would add another charge at checkout. One was about $21 and the other was $48. Thanks for sharing.
I just booked Santiago to Madrid today on Trainline.

If I lived in Spain and was buying train tickets all the time I would probably book through Renfe but for one or two tickets a year I don't mind paying a little bit more if its easier for me.

As a Camino newby, a tech dinosaur, and not knowing when I'll finish is it not possible just to go to the station ticket office and buy a ticket or are the trains from Santiago to Madrid over crowded....oh abtw , I don't have a return flight booked so am very flexible as to when and where I fly from.

As a Camino newby, a tech dinosaur, and not knowing when I'll finish is it not possible just to go to the station ticket office and buy a ticket or are the trains from Santiago to Madrid over crowded....oh abtw , I don't have a return flight booked so am very flexible as to when and where I fly from.
You can purchase directly at the station - but ‘walk up’ prices are often higher and the trains do get fully booked at times.

It is good to know you can go to the station and purchase a ticket. Not having done this before I purchased an advanced ticket because I needed to be on that train at that time and didn't want to find out the train was full when I showed up. Good stuff to know. Thanks

I purchased an advanced ticket because I needed to be on that train at that time and didn't want to find out the train was full when I showed up.
Same with me. I purchased mine as soon as the route became available from Santiago to Segovia for the non-stop option early in the morning on May 14th. I just checked out of curiosity and the price has already gone up quite a lot! GladI booked as early as possible.

Same with me. I purchased mine as soon as the route became available from Santiago to Segovia for the non-stop option early in the morning on May 14th. I just checked out of curiosity and the price has already gone up quite a lot! GladI booked as early as possible.
I think there were supposed to be a certain number of "on sale" tickets. They may be sold out now.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back