• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Equipment and travelling

CaminodS365

Time of past OR future Camino
First bit of Camino from 2023-2024
I just figured out that I won't travel lightly. My current Winter sleeping bag weighs 3.5kg alone (maybe should bring it with me and get another one for Spain?) and I wanted to get my folding bike over to Spain. I don't have a car. I think that a flight with all my equipment will be very expensive? Any suggestions on a sleeping bag that will be good enough for Northern Spain in November and December - February? I am a vegetarian and I wish for synthetic or hollow-fibre suggestions. Also would like to know which liners do you use. I want to travel without having to rely on any albergues. Thanks to anyone who makes my trip more easy and Winter-safe. I can use albergues as I have a stamp card but I may want to save the money and sleep in a tent. How allowed is that outside of Canary Islands, folks?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Any suggestions for budget lightweight camping equipment in Winter for Camino or Spain? I have zero idea what sleeping bag will be warm enough up to Northern Spain, in particular. I would prefer a hollow-fibre or other synthetic one. I don't want to get amy down or goose sleeping bag, I am a vegetarian.

CaminodS335,

Welcome to the forum.

For a good overview and much helpful information re Walking in Winter see the many links and posts in this earlier thread

Enjoy your planning and Carpe diem.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So if you are planning no albergues because you are staying in hotels, you won't need a sleeping bag. Decathlon in Spain will likely have a selection of synthetic bags if you are planning to camp. It may be difficult to find campsites along the entire route. Wild camping is not legal but done by some anyway.

Many if not most campsites will be closed in the winter season. They usually cost about the same as albergues, so it doesn't make sense to use them to save money, anyway.

Wild camping is not very welcome in Spain, and even illegal in most areas as far as I know, so you'd need to stealth camp in extremely (!) respectful way if you plan to wild camp to keep cost down. No fire, arrive late, be gone early, leave no litter and no feces behind. Don't bother locals, wildlife, lifestock ect.

I'm a vegetarian, too, and my compromise for cold weather camping is to use a second hand / recycled down sleeping bag, because the synthetic ones are simply too heavy or not warm enough for me. My sleeping bag for the really cold winter nights weighs 1,5kg and keeps me warm even in temperatures lower than -10°C. Bought it for 80€ on eBay and it's probably 20-30 years old already but works perfectly. I personally can live with that compromise. So, maybe worth a try to buy second hand. You can still donate it after your Camino if you prefer not to own a down bag, and then it still has a purpose and will help someone in need.

Northern Spain can be very cold in winter in higher elevation so you definitely need a sleeping bag with a comfort range far below freezing point, a warm enough sleeping pad and a tent that can survive snow (or you need to shake it several times per night to get the snow off of it).

I don't know which route you plan to travel. But on the Francés there are several donativo albergues which means you only pay what you can afford. It doesn't mean they're free, but those places also welcome pilgrims who struggle financially. Maybe you can warm up and get a hot shower from time to time that way. You can offer to help around the place (mop floors, clean dishes...) if you can't pay at all or only a very low amount. But if you can pay, please do so.

The albergue in Roncesvalles I know has a reduced fee for pilgrims with tents (I payed 4€ I think, last year) and you can still use the kitchen and bathroom.

The municipal albergues are not that expensive in general. You can see the prices in the gronze. website. The cheaper ones cost only ~10€.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
I just figured out that I won't travel lightly. My current Winter sleeping bag weighs 3.5kg alone (maybe should bring it with me and get another one for Spain?) and I wanted to get my folding bike over to Spain. I don't have a car. I think that a flight with all my equipment will be very expensive? Any suggestions on a sleeping bag that will be good enough for Northern Spain in November and December - February? I am a vegetarian and I wish for synthetic or hollow-fibre suggestions. Also would like to know which liners do you use. I want to travel without having to rely on any albergues. Thanks to anyone who makes my trip more easy and Winter-safe. I can use albergues as I have a stamp card but I may want to save the money and sleep in a tent. How allowed is that outside of Canary Islands, folks?
@CaminodS365 you are not really helping people to help you. Where you live might give a clue as to climate adjustment. The folding bike? Are you planning to cycle a Camino? A 3.5kg sleeping bag? That is arctic weight. Nevertheless, winter in Northern Spain can be both cold and wet. Sometimes both on the same day. If you’re determined to wild camp I hope you have some serious experience

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Down isn’t a great option in a damp cold environment in any case. In dry cold however, it’s unbeatable. Synthetic is probably a better choice for any European winter.

Ethically sourced down is a bit of a minefield. Many inexpensive down products come from sources where harvesting practices are pretty grim. Look for an IDFL traceability certificate, RDS, TDS or DownPass and you’re on safer ground.

Down isn’t a great option in a damp cold environment in any case. In dry cold however, it’s unbeatable.
It's of course true that down loses some of its loft in humid conditions.

In practice, I found out that I never had any major issue because of that, though. I use a sleeping bag that is warm enough that even when it loses a bit of loft, it still keeps me perfectly warm. It shouldn't get soaked, but that usually doesn't happen (and a soaked synthetic bag is just as useless, though much easier to dry).

Down definitely needs a bit of care during a longer trip (air it out whenever there's dry / sunny weather, make sure it doesn't get soaked by condensation or rain...), but that's a normal routine after a while.

I think the "down sleeping bags are not good in wet weather" dogma is similar to "ponchos are useless when it's windy". There's some truth to it, but still, many pilgrims on the Camino prefer ponchos even in windy conditions, and according to surveys I read, most thru hikers on the AT use down sleeping bags/quilts despite often rainy conditions.

For ethical reasons, synthetic is of course the much better choice. Totally agree.

But regarding weight and sleep comfort, I definitely prefer my trusted down bag and wouldn't hesitate to bring it on a rainy trip, too.

A well cared for down bag lasts a lifetime, so, hopefully, I don't have to make that decision again!

To get back to the question asked:

Decathlon has not too expensive synthetic sleeping bags, but I wouldn't be sure if they're really warm enough in winter without testing them at home.

I used a snugpak sleeper extreme before, a bit over 2kg, rated for -7°C I think but in my experience only until 0/-2°C or so, but I'm a cold sleeper. Relatively cheap with 70€ nowadays (back then I payed ~60). Quality is okay. Maybe something like that could work without spending to much of the budget on new gear.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back