• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transport of walking stick home

FrancesK

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (April/May 2012); Le puy (Sept 2013)
Has anyone travelled on Emirates with a walking stick?

I had no problems getting on Ryanair with it but want to make sure Emirates will be the same. Otherwise i'll try and post it home (i hate the thought of having to leave it behind, i love my stick!)

Cheers :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
FrancesK said:
Has anyone travelled on Emirates with a walking stick?

I had no problems getting on Ryanair with it but want to make sure Emirates will be the same. Otherwise i'll try and post it home (i hate the thought of having to leave it behind, i love my stick!)

Cheers :)
I have never had a problem with walking poles as hold baggage.

If you are bringing it back to Australia, it will need to be checked by AQIS when you arrive. I brought a wooden stick in many years ago without any problems, but the quarantine staff will inspect it to make sure that it isn't also bringing in anything undesirable.

Regards,

+1 on the AQIS and walking sticks. I took one I had made to my in-laws and after a quick inspection it was OKed by them. I cannot remember the carrier but we had to pack it in a long cardboard tube and not carry it on the plane.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Frances

My walking pole is 150cm long and I have had no problems when I have flown with Qantas, Air France, Etihad or Korean Air. I am flying with Emirates in 4 months time and assume thay will be the same. I wrap it up in 2 big plastic garbage bags and tape it up. It is sent as oversized luggage and in some airports eg Sydney there is a separate pick up area for these items. As Doug says, it needs to be declared to customs as a wooden item, and they will examine it closely. It would be best for it to have no bark on it, as they will be concerned that insect eggs could be carried into Australia under the bark. I too am very fond of my stick, and it will soon come with me on my/our 4th camino.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

We took my daughters walking stick on with Emirates without any problems, I had to take it to the oversized luggage counter but they did not charge me any extra - it was about 120cm...

Most read last week in this forum

Hi guys, I need help because I don’t know where else to turn. I arranged luggage transport from Paris to Santiago with casa Ivar. They gave me an invoice, shipping label, everything. I left it at...
Hello from NY! I am booking some accommodations with booking.com and an offer on their site for a free airport shuttle just came up so I booked it. This is the below confirmation. I am entirely...
I am trying to book a train from Santiago to Madrid on 7 May and find that all trains are full and also for about the preceding 3 or 4 days. If I go directly to the train station when I arrive...
I'm flying to Madrid on Saturday evening, and then catching a train from Madrid Chamartín early on Sunday morning. To those who have been to both, is it better to spend the night in the airport or...
I'm about to start the Camino Portuguese, and was wondering what rideshare options are available in Europe?
Hi all! I am trying to finish up the last bit of planning for our upcoming Camino, in two and a half weeks, from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela. We are kinda doing things a little backwards, as...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back