• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transport to SJPDP

Derek Sullivan

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2017
Hi Camineros

Maybe you know from a previous post I want to cycle el camino. BUT can you help me out organise how I can get my bike from Alicante where I live to SJDPD?

I'm happy to take the train. Happy to take the bus. Happy to drive to SJPDP and then train or bus back to my car. I do want to start in SJPDP and finish in Santiago.

I'm really flexible. If you can help I'd be really grateful.

I really intend to start on the weekend of the 18th June.

Thanks. Thanks. Thanks.

Derek S

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You do know there is a Camino starts from Alicante, don't you? Alsa will take your bike somewhat dismantled, other bus companies as well, usually just padded with pipe insulation and bubble wrap,

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Renfe train from Alicante via Madrid to Irun/Hendaye.

Metro Donostialdea (Euskotren) from Irun Colon to Hendaia (if the Renfe train doesn't terminate in Gare d'Hendaye).

SNCF train from Gare d'Hendaye to Gare Bayonne

SNCF train from Gare Bayonne to SJPdP.

If you drive to SJPdP you can get back to your car from Santiago. Renfe train from Santiago to Irun/Hendaye etc.

You do know there is a Camino starts from Alicante, don't you? Alsa will take your bike somewhat dismantled, other bus companies as well, usually just padded with pipe insulation and bubble wrap,
Thanks Barbara. I wouldn't have the time to go from Alicante and do the camino Frances and back. Im gonna have three weeks tops.

Alsa info I'll record in my planning info. Much appreciated.

Derek S

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sure, understood. Next time maybe, leave from Alicante then go via Toledo on the Sureste or Levante. It's a good Camino to cycle, as the distances can be a bit long for walking between places to stay

Renfe train from Alicante via Madrid to Irun/Hendaye.

Metro Donostialdea (Euskotren) from Irun Colon to Hendaia (if the Renfe train doesn't terminate in Gare d'Hendaye).

SNCF train from Gare d'Hendaye to Gare Bayonne

SNCF train from Gare Bayonne to SJPdP.

If you drive to SJPdP you can get back to your car from Santiago. Renfe train from Santiago to Irun/Hendaye etc.
Hi. Thanks for very useful info. Had acquick search on Renfe site and no trains show for journey from Santiago to Irun! Am I being stupid. Quite likely..

Thanks forbspeedy response.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There is a train which leaves 10:06 daily from Santiago to Irun/Hendaya. See more here on the RENFE web.

https://venta.renfe.com/vol/search.do?c=_b8bK

Booked from SdC a few days before desired departure that long train ride across Spain is truly a sentimental journey as it passes through much of the countryside recently crossed on the CF.

Good luck and Buen camino!

Last edited:
Hi. Thanks for very useful info. Had acquick search on Renfe site and no trains show for journey from Santiago to Irun! Am I being stupid. Quite likely..

From Santiago take the train to Palencia change there. I would be surprised if there was no onward route to Irun though you may have to make another change en-route.

Its too early to find a schedule for 18 June 2017. The schedule is not usually reliable more than 3 months in advance. We've had instances where a train schedule was posted less than 3 weeks in advance of someone's travel dates.Try again after Easter. In the meanwhile, try a date this month on the same day of the week; even though the actual schedule isn't posted yet, it doesn't change much.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
From Santiago take the train to Palencia change there. I would be surprised if there was no onward route to Irun though you may have to make another change en-route.
Much appreciated.

A good picture is building up.

Thanks Derek

Its too early to find a schedule for 18 June 2017. The schedule is not usually reliable more than 3 months in advance. We've had instances where a train schedule was posted less than 3 weeks in advance of someone's travel dates.Try again after Easter. In the meanwhile, try a date this month on the same day of the week; even though the actual schedule isn't posted yet, it doesn't change much.
Thanks very much for your time and effort. I'm retaining all the info received to build up my plans so far.

Thank you Kind People.

Derek S

Most read last week in this forum

We arrived in Santiago and after searching ways to get back to Pamplona it worked out easier to hire a car . It would mean picking the car up from Santiago airport and leaving it at a hotel in...
Hello, I am 16 days out from "boots on the ground" on the Frances route. As I am a solo female pilgrim My family wants to be able to find me any time day or night as I make my way across Spain...
I was trying to buy an Alsa bus ticket on-line to take us from Pamplona to SJPDP. It ask for a "document" and document number? Passport isn't mentioned and it wont let me make a purchase without...
Hi , I'm looking for some advice. I'm flying to Madrid and catching a bus to Burgos to walk to León. I'm using a light weight foldable bag for my rucksack & poles but I would rather leave the...
Madrid Albergue near airport? I will be going on to Irun/San Sebastian. With thanks, fondly sandi
Some news that was posted on Facebook by Johnnie Walker which I'm sure he won't mind my repeating here. Not sure who his informant was. The post was quite long but I'll just repost it here in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back