• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transportation to St Jean from Barcelona

ktoo2705

Time of past OR future Camino
June (2013)
My wife and I are planning to start Camino Frances from St Jean in late May 2013.

We plan on a train from Barcelona to Pamplona but information on bus/taxi from Pamplona to SJ is confusing

Any help would be appreciated

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I took the same course to St Jean in July 2012. At the time, there were two buses to St Jean each day. I'm not sure if it will be the same schedule in May 2013, but if so, my ticket was purchased the morning of my trip and cost around 15 euro.

Drew

Hello,
I been researching this and here's what I have found so far. Taking a train from Barcelona to Bayonne would only be a last resort. The journey takes about 11 hrs and requires changing trains three times (800-622-8600). I cound not find any flights from Barcelona to Biarritz. It looks like the best way to do this is to take a direct train from Barcelona (Sant station) to Pamplona and then work your way down to St Jean. At the Renfre website I found several direct trains to Pamplona each day. autocaresartieda.com says they have one bus per day for Ronscevilles departing at 6pm from Pamplona (2/day in July & August). Apparently you can get a taxi from Roncesvilles to St Jean. If anyone has a better idea I'd love to hear it.
Dale, departing St Jean April 3 or 4

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Dale,
As per D.Matthew..Pamplona is best destination from Barcelona. Bus transfer from Pamplona to SJ is the next step. I do not have bus schedules SJ direct but services definitely exist. Another option is bus to Roncevalles and taxi to SJ
I am booked to start Camino at SJ start June 2013.

A post on this forum maybe 3 months ago said that the direct bus from Pamplona to St Jean departed the bus staion in Pamplona at 2.00 pm daily. There is only one bus daily. I have not checked this on any web site but suggest that you contact the Pilgrims Office in St Jean (use Google to search for web addresses) David

Just to clarify...
camino-david said:
A post on this forum maybe 3 months ago said that the direct bus from Pamplona to St Jean departed the bus staion in Pamplona at 2.00 pm daily.
Last year the bus that goes all the way to SJPP ran only June to September. Likely the same this year, or close to it.

DaleDeason said:
autocaresartieda.com says they have one bus per day for Ronscevilles departing at 6pm from Pamplona (2/day in July & August).
This bus doesn't run on Sunday, and on Saturday the departure time is 4:00pm.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I did this route recently. I took the 9:40am VIBASA bus from the Barcelona Sants Station to the Pamplona Bus Station (about 4 hours; 24 Euros). The bus was more convenient and much cheaper. I had arranged a van ride with Express Bouricott who took about 10 of us (@9Euros/pp) around 4:30pm to SJPDP. There were many waiting for the bus to Roncesvalles to then take a taxi to SJPDP. I believe Express Bouricott stoppped servicing rides from Pamplona last year. There must be some entrepeneurial spirit in Pamplona picking up this "low-hanging fruit"; plenty pilgrims at the Pamplona Bus Station looking for a ride :wink:

My best advice is that you arrange for a taxi from Pamplona bus station or from Roncesvalles and to try to get somebody to share some of the fare with you. I met a young man who took a ride from Roncesvalles to SJPDP; He said people organized on the spot and somebody called a taxi for them.

I am taking this same trip in June. On EXPEDIA . com I found a one way flight from Barcelona to Biarritz/Bayonne/Anglet airport for approx.$123.00. I know from there you can get a bus to SJPP, cost ? . This is the easiest and most direct route I have found to date. The trains are too many and take too long, and you will be exhausted by the time you get there. Also I found a return one way flight to Barcelona on the same sight from Santiago de Compostela for about $125.00.
Good Luck on your journey to St. James the greater, Apostle.
Gypsy Shoes 8)

gypsyscholz said:
I am taking this same trip in June. On EXPEDIA . com I found a one way flight from Barcelona to Biarritz/Bayonne/Anglet airport for approx.$123.00. I know from there you can get a bus to SJPP, cost ? . ...

Gypsy Shoes,

At Biarritz/Bayonne/Anglet airport you CAN NOT get a bus to SJPdP. You do get a bus to the Bayonne railroad station (Gare SNCF) and then at Bayonne get a local line 62 TER train to SJPdP. The TER journey takes about 1 1/2 hours and the fare is less than 10 euros.

Here is the CURRENT line 62 TER timetable for trains from Bayonne to SJPdP until July 6, 2013 >> http://telechargement.ter-sncf.com/Imag ... -42307.pdf.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I will be arriving to Barcelona on June 3rd, so thank you for this information. I will get on the expedia site and look for the connecting flights. I am glad you mentioned the return trip too. I was wondering how everyone got home after they finished and was starting to fear that the idea was to just turn around and walk back to the start. If anyone else is planning to arrive in Barcelona at this time, maybe we can share some travel arrangements.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back