• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trash & graffiti now part of the landscape

A

Anemone del Camino

On the Salvador's FB page today, a plea from those who are the most invested in this route for people to stop leaving traces of their passage. It goes like this:

" Si lo que pretenden dejando esto en la cruz es que nos acordemos de ellos tienen razón, de ellos y de su p...... m....!!!! El camino solo necesita la huella de tu paso, nada más. Un saludo".

"If what you are trying to achieve leaving this (pics show graffitis and some sort of towel/sock) on the cross is that we remember you, we will, and your $*% m... . The Camino only needs your footsteps, nothing else".

As many of us now walk less popular routes, in part because of how popular they have become and what came with that, let's do our part not to cause the same harm to these beautiful practically pristine routes.

Really, noone cares nor needs to be reminded we have been there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For me it is easier to pick up trash than to figure out how to solve the situation.

Such a sad, but true story.....

During my last 3 Camino's there has been a noticeable increase of trash, graffiti and theft (roads way markers) on each.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
On the Salvador's FB page today, a plea from those who are the most invested in this route for people to stop leaving traces of their passage. It goes like this:

" Si lo que pretenden dejando esto en la cruz es que nos acordemos de ellos tienen razón, de ellos y de su p...... m....!!!! El camino solo necesita la huella de tu paso, nada más. Un saludo".

"If what you are trying to achieve leaving this (pics show graffitis and some sort of towel/sock) on the cross is that we remember you, we will, and your $*% m... . The Camino only needs your footsteps, nothing else".

As many of us now walk less popular routes, in part because of how popular they have become and what came with that, let's do our part not to cause the same harm to these beautiful practically pristine routes.

Really, noone cares nor needs to be reminded we have been there.
Thanks for posting this Anemone. I can't pull up the post but it sounds like they are talking about a problem with people dumping stuff near the cross after Poladura. I guess with the junk that gets dropped at the Cruz de Ferro it's not surprising that the Salvador cross would follow in the same tradition, but it's pretty sad.

Thanks for posting this Anemone. I can't pull up the post but it sounds like they are talking about a problem with people dumping stuff near the cross after Poladura. I guess with the junk that gets dropped at the Cruz de Ferro it's not surprising that the Salvador cross would follow in the same tradition, but it's pretty sad.
Yes, people bringing their little souvenirs and also carving their names on the posts. If you can tell me how to link to a FB post I could add it here.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We passed by on 25 May and saw no $*%m... but that might be thanks to the efforts of the amigos. We did see a school party who very carefully picked up all their post-picnic scrap. There seems hardly enough pilgrims on this route to present much of a problem but, then, in a beautiful wilderness even one small bit of detritus jars the sensibilities - I think we got to the Alto Pajares with about 10 gms of sweet wrappers and a water bottle that we hadn't set out with.

On the busier caminos we walked this year then, yes. The graffito, the socks & boots, the sheer bloody number of discarded water bottles, 'energy' drink cans and bocadillo wraps was noticeable but nowhere near as bad as I remember. A few years ago I ran out of rubbish bags and any means of transporting them on one short, 3k, stretch between Riego and Molinaseca.

AS SY says, be part of the solution...

... I think we got to the Alto Pajares with about 10 gms of sweet wrappers and a water bottle that we hadn't set out with.... A few years ago I ran out of rubbish bags and any means of transporting them on one short, 3k, stretch between Riego and Molinaseca. ...

Bless you! Buen Camino de la Vida, SY

Most read last week in this forum

(Soon-) Live from the Camino del Salvador - starting end of April 24. We are currently on the Camino de Invierno around 43km before reaching Santiago - from there we will catch a bus to Leon to...
First time posting Live? Left León at 8am. Arrived at Cabanillas 2. The path is very beautiful. 20km total. Followed the River. At first town we went to the lovely Bar and Tienda. I bought cheese...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.