• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel from Canada

Genevievala

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances - 2023
Would love to hear how others chose to make their way from Canada to the Frances! We are travelling from Vancouver next summer - just at the browsing stage right now. I'm looking at Air Transat to Paris, possibly one way and go thru Gatwick on the way back. Flying into Spain from Canada is quite a bit more $$. I'm wondering how easy it is to transfer in Paris to central train station, seems cost is same to fly within France but travelling by train would be a treat in itself. Thank you !

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have flowin Air Transat to Paris few years ago, then took the train from Gare Montparnasse to Lourdes before going to St. Jean. It is easy to get to the train station in the city as there is a bus at the airport that takes you to the station. I haven't done it, but there are SNCF trains at the airport as well. So depending on the destination and time you can take the train from the airport.

Buen Camino.

To keep the price down, search for 'multi city' fares, i.e., Vancouver-Paris /Gatwick-Van.
I've found good flights from Santiago to Gatwick with Vueling.
Porto is a good exit city (OPO) if you don't want to go to England.

There is no central train station in Paris; there are half a dozen major stations and each serves different regional destinations. Most trains to Bayonne depart from Montparnass station. It's easy enough to get the RER train to downtown Paris. There is an express, or the regular commuter RER that stops more places which can be convenient for connections to the Metro subway.

Anyway, welcome to the forum! You can find heaps of info on everything if you use the search function, or just browse.

Happy planning.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm from Toronto, and I have flown into Paris twice. The first time I took a train into Paris, stayed the night and then took a train to SJPdP the next day. The next time I flew Easy Jet out of the same airport (CDG). That was really easy. I had Express Bourricot pick me up at the airport in Biarritz airport and drop me off in SJPdP. But the flights only work together on certain days. I have flown home from Barcelona and from Porto. I prefer to return through Porto as it is easy to get to by bus from Santiago.

With that much time to buy tickets you could setup up a price alert on skyscanner.ca. I always do that and I’ve always managed to get a good deal flying from YVR to Madrid. From there an easy bus or train to Pamplona and then I’ve either taken a taxi straight to SJPDP or to Roncesvalles (depended on the amount of snow!).

On my side I took Air Transat to Barcelona then and a Veiuling flight to Bilboa then a bus to San Sebastian to start the Norte. I also took a fligt from Air Transat to Malaga and the bus to Sevilla to start the Via de la Plata.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I went Vancouver to Heathrow, bus to Stansted, overnight Stansted, Ryan Air to Biarritz, SNCF train to SJPdP. Stayed a day in SJPdP trying to get over jet lag.

Homeward was Monbus from Finisterre to Santiago, Renfe train Santiago to Madrid, Easy Jet from Madrid to Gatwick, bus Gatwick to Heathrow, overnight Heathrow, Heathrow to Vancouver.

UK customs are tediously long. They can ask you impertinent questions rather than just checking your documents are in order. The airport security zones are overcrowded and undermanned. I would avoid it next time. The advantage is UK is outside the Schengen area and doesn't count against the 90 day Schengen visa.

If I were to do it again, I would look at Vancouver to Dublin and Dublin to Biarritz. Homeward, Santiago to Dublin, Dublin to Vancouver. It would depend on the schedule if I overnighted at Dublin.

Another option might be via Reykjavik Iceland where you can access Easy Jet's cheap flights.

Oporto is an Air Transat destination. The problem is getting to SJPdP from Oporto ... it'd take more than a day of trains and buses.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello! We have done the trip from Vancouver to Barcelona, or Paris, or Pamplona, depending on the best prices. If you are looking only for inexpensive, the best trip would be YVR-CDG on Air transat, and then Porto (OPO) to YVR again on Air Transat, for about 850 mid May-end of June. If you want to go through Gatwick- there are others on this forum who know far more than I do re the UK connections especially post Brexit.

Would love to hear how others chose to make their way from Canada to the Frances! We are travelling from Vancouver next summer - just at the browsing stage right now. I'm looking at Air Transat to Paris, possibly one way and go thru Gatwick on the way back. Flying into Spain from Canada is quite a bit more $$. I'm wondering how easy it is to transfer in Paris to central train station, seems cost is same to fly within France but travelling by train would be a treat in itself. Thank you !
I live in Vancouver too. There are two ways I prefer to get to St Jean Pied de Port, through London and then flying directly to Biarritz or Paris and either fly or take the train to Biarritz. I use both Google Flights and Rome2Rio.com to find the best flights. What I like about using Rome2Rio is you can combine method of travel, plane/train/bus whatever.
I'll be going next August. I have found in the past, 3 times to the camino, that I get great pricing starting in Janurary of the year I plan on going. Whether I go via London or Paris I find staying one night in either one and traveling the next day to be the least stressful physically. I, too, choose one way to get there and then fly out of Santiago to London and back to Vancouver. That's what we'll be doing next year.

I'm wondering how easy it is to transfer in Paris to central train station, seems cost is same to fly within France but travelling by train would be a treat in itself. Thank you !

Depending on when your flight lands and what day, you may be able to catch a TGV directly from CDG to Bordeaux, then onward to Bayonne. This does not always work well, and you wind up having to overnight in Bordeaux or Bayonne. To complicate matters for a Planner, the train schedules are only solid three months ahead of time. That is the earliest you can buy TGV tickets.

To get to Montparnasse TGV station in Paris ( where the trains to the South West leave from), and then take the TGV to Bayonne onto SJPP, you have choices. The easiest and most expensive way is a taxi! No local would do that though, unless you are a group. Le Bus Direct operates frequent busses from CDG to Montparnasse (and Orly airport), and is also easy but only 12 euros. The fastest way is how a local would do it, by taking the RER B to the Montparnasse station. Its also the most complicated to figure out, as the RER system is the local regional transit and not well set up for tourists. That said, its how I do it.

Oh, and a Pro-tip for buying either bus or RER tickets: your credit card will not work in either of the ticket vending machines. Make sure you have Euros so you can pay cash.

As others have suggested, consider overnighting in Paris. If you are a veteran traveler and know how your body reacts to jet lag, by all means, do as you please. If this is your fist overseas trip though, plan to get off the plane, and take the RER or Bus into Paris to Montparnasse where your nearby hotel is waiting for you. There is a range of hotel choices around the station within a few blocks. Plan to walk, you are a pilgrim after all. Don't be afraid to buy a TGV ticket for 7:00 am the next morning.....these are invariably the cheapest, and you'll be awake!

Final point as you consider fly vs train. The plane is quicker (2 hours vs 5 on the train), but the train is a walk-up-and-get-on affair, versus getting to an airport, security, bag check, queuing for boarding, waiting for takeoff, waiting to deplane, etc,etc. In elapsed time for this trip, the train is likely faster. You can also pick up a picnic lunch the day before at a grocery store in Paris, including wine if so inclined, and make an event of it.

Oh yes, getting home should also be considered. As others have said, Porto is an excellent choice, but connections back to Vancouver will need to be considered. While Toronto looks like its on the way home, it really is not and adds to your travel time. Since you don't really know when you will get to Santiago, expect 1-5 days at the end of "slack" time. Don't be so sure that you know what your plans will be at the end as things have a way of changing along The Way. I usually catch a flight back to Paris on a ticket bought the week before when my plans became clear. Once from Santiago, once from Porto, and once from San Sebastion. You'll have to overnight in Paris once again, but for me thats part of the bonus. Pay attention when buying your ticket back to Paris, most of them go to Orly rather than CDG, so you need to catch a bus to CDG for the return flight.

Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Re the train ticket purchase ... once ticket sales open up, you can buy online on the oui.sncf website. If you want to buy it from the kiosk at the station, our Canadian credit cards won't work - you have to go to the billet offfice and buy from an agent who can process our credit cards, but expect a long line up!

Thanks so much for all of the feedback everyone! Lots to think about (daydream about); it's very interesting to hear how others have made the journey. I do think Dublin and Porto are worth a closer look (and 2 cities I've never visited, so that is a bonus).

As a "planner" I agree that the rome2rio site is a great tool. I will head over to Skyscanner now to track Madrid flights, hadn't thought of that!

Try TAP Portuguese airline to Lisbon then TAP or Vueling or Ryanair unto Spain.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As I started my Camino in Ponferrada, my destination was to get to Madrid. I flew Toronto to Brussels, Brussels to Madrid. Going home I flew Lisbon to Brussels, had a 24 hour layover which was a wonderful opportunity to see a city I had never seen. I forget the airline but is was Air India’s discount carrier.

This year I flew Victoria - Vancouver - San Francisco - Zurich - Bordeaux. And then train to where we started walking on the Vezelay route. Return was Santiago - Frankfurt - Toronto - Vancouver - Victoria.

I always find Skyscanner does a good job of working out all the combinations. You can search prices by whole months and destinations as whole countries.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I like the Paris route out and Porto back.

We flew this April from Toronto to Paris CDG via Air France. Had same debate about seeing the country via train but opted to fly to Biarritz. Downside was long layover at CDG. Taxi to St Jean.
Return from Santiago via Veurling to Amsterdam. KLM back to Toronto

I like coming back from Porto, easy to get to from Santiago and is beautiful to spend a day or two there.
And I just came back to Saskatoon from Bordeaux via Paris Via Vancouver! I imagine you could do that from Vancouver. Bordeaux is nice to visit and the pilgrim hostel is right in old town. And it is easy to take the bus or train to SJPdP. And if you have time, you could visit Bayonne, Biarritz, Irun in between! (if you are considering this option, speak a bit of French is beneficial) I really enjoyed those places! Bon Chemin and Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My Experience: Canada to SJPP

First, I live an hour West of Toronto so come this far by plane or train. I know the train may not fit scheduling but why not consider looking over CANADA, before leaving for Europe.

Let's talk about flight starting points. I have flown from Toronto and Montreal. I took the train from Kitchener, ON to Toronto then to Montreal. Ten minutes on a shuttle got me to Montreal Airport. Easy. From Montreal, I took a flight to Dublin, (consider Dublin as a jumping off point as it is a hub for travel throughout Europe), stayed a couple of days and then took a ferry to Holyhead, UK, overnight in a B&B and train to London for 3 days, then a plane from Stanstead to Biarritz. Once there, I walked out the airport door, asked three people wearing backpacks to share a cab with me to SJPP. For an hour, we got to know each other till we reached SJPP, hopped up to the Pilgrim Office pour les Credenciels and find an albergue for the night.

Another option is to fly to Lisbon and take a train to SJPP. Train costs are surprisingly cheap. I took one from Logrono to Santiago overnight on the TrenHotel for 65 euros after damaging my leg last year.

If there are any specific questions, feel free to PM.

My wife and I are making a similar plan (but from Toronto).

Our plan is Air Canada Toronto to Paris (CDG) on a multi-city ticket. From CDG, the TGV to Bordeaux, transfer there to the TGV to Bayonne, then local train from Bayonne to St-Jean-Pied-de-Port. That's going to make for long day, so we will stay 2 nights in St Jean before we set off.

On the way home we'll take an EasyJet or Ryanair flight from Santiago to London and spend a few days there. Then it's home to Toronto on Air Canada.

We're just waiting on a decent seat sale to book the Air Canada seats.

From YVR you have an even longer flight, so as others have mentioned an option is to spend a night in Paris (which is never a bad option!), and the next morning pick up the TGV from Montparnasse to Bayonne.

Good luck on your Camino.

Consider this as a factor:

The last train leaves Bayonne for SJPdP at 1806. You'd get to SJPdP at approximately 2000. You will then need time to get oriented and find your accommodation or, if you haven't a reservation, find the pilgrim office. By which time you are settled in there will be no place to find a meal and the albergue at which you are staying slams the doors shut at 2300 meaning that even if there were a place to get a meal that late you lose access to your bed. Consider instead to stay in Bayonne instead of stressing about catching the last train. Stop travel at 1800, get a meal and a good night of badly needed rest. The first train leaves Bayonne early so you'll have lots of time to get to SJPdP and decide if you stay there for a night or start walking.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you plan to spend more than one night in SJPDP, consider spending a night at one of those transfer spots instead of rushing through. Bordeaux is historic and Bayonne is a nice town, both with more to see than SJPDP. You could stretch your legs, deal with some jet lag, and still have plenty of time in SJPDP.

You can use the Rome2Rio web site to plan the various options available to you if you use the following link:

You can also fly part way from Paris CDG or Orly to Biarritz and then take the local bus and train to SJdP. I only suggest this since the airfare can be cheaper than TGV tickets.

CDG is a huge airport. It can take more than an hour just to transfer from one terminal to another. Make sure your time appreciation includes lots of time to make your way through customs and to your connections.

There are SNCF TGV trains from CDG2 airport that go to Bayonne (and terminate in Irun/Hendaye, which is important to know).

There are more frequent departures from Gare Montparnasse.

You must have a reservation and ticket to board a TGV train. You can get a reservation just before boarding if there are still seats available (likely except on holidays).

There is often a transfer at Bordeaux, and sometimes that connection to Bayonne is by slower TER train. The transfer consists of crossing the platform to another train.

There is SNCF TER train service from Bayonne to SJPdP. You cannot get reservations for this train.

You can transfer from CDG to Gare Montparnasse by RER train and Metro or by Le Direct bus. The bus is likely more convenient as the Metro isn't really designed for people hauling luggage. The advantages of the RER and Metro are that it is cheaper and that it won't get stuck in traffic.

RER B train from CDG 1 or CDG 2 to St Michel - Notre Dame and Metro #4 from St Michel to Montparnasse Bienvenue. Allow for ten minute walk from the Metro to the TGV train platform at Montparnasse.

Le Direct Bus #4

CDG and Orly airports

Gare Montparnasse ... includes 'plan de la gare' button that leads to maps of the station

SNCF train

Gare Bayonne

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
CDG is a huge airport. It can take more than an hour just to transfer from one terminal to another. Make sure your time appreciation includes lots of time to make your way through customs and to your connections.

I am looking at tat flights from Toronto to Biarritz and maybe could I get your advice on feasibility of arriving at CDG from Toronto at 8:40AM, and making it to a flight at 10:50 AM also at CDG for an easyjet flight to Biarritz. Am I cutting it too close?

In 2015 my flight from Toronto was scheduled to land in Paris at 7:05 am with Air Transat and I was booked on the Easy Jet flight at 10:55 am. I had to walk and take a train between terminal 3 and terminal 2. I had time to eat breakfast at terminal 2 as well as get my checked poles and then wait in line to check them on the Easy Jet flight. You dont have as much time so if you book the Easy Jet flight you may want to only have carry on as well as have a backup plan.

You might google "minimum connection times" for CDG - Air France says minimum 75 minutes, but I'm guessing that's connecting to another Air France flight - you probably need more time if changing terminals/airlines. Which flight is that from Toronto? I'm finding it tricky to find a good connecting flight to Biaritz without waiting around the airport all day. From Toronto have you looked @ Bordeaux...?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What qualifies as impertinent?

From my last time through UK customs: 1) After identifying my profession as a retired public servant, I was asked why I retired from the Canadian government? (A: seniority) 2) For which departments did you work? (A: I named them all, wondering why they are asking) 3) How old was I when I began to wear glasses? (A: 7, and silently wondered why on earth are they asking this) 4) Do I know any people in Northern Ireland? (A: Here I cheerfully lied, as I did not want to get into why I only know Church of Ireland clergy and women doctors in small towns, and did not want to get them into trouble) 5) Do I wash my clothes when I walk in Spain, or do I always wear the same ones? (A: wash them, while silently wondering how my personal hygiene is of interest to them) 6) What work do I do to supplement my pension? (A: none) Do I intend to do this for work in Britain during my stay? (A: during my three hours, I do not intend to work at my no-work profession, nor at anything else). The questioning was aggressive and hectoring, and my responses received at times with snorts of disbelief.

This was all for a 3 hour transit between flights. Still, I got off lighter than the black man behind me, who had 2 officers talking over each other while asking their questions. I should also note that entering the UK as a scruffy Canadian student in the 1970s travelling from Ireland, I only encountered politeness and even a friendly welcome. They seemed to have hired a different crew since then. And while the UK officers were pretty snippy/ borderline rude, at least I didn't get the foul language I've received at the US pre-clearance post at the Ottawa airport.

Entering other countries from Canada, French customs officers gave me a Bonne route! (have a good voyage) and Spanish ones gave me a Buen Camino, while stamping my passport.

Question #5 made me laugh out loud. Odd series of questions.

The last time I entered the UK by air, I was en route home from Santiago and the officer’s daughter worked at Canterbury cathedral, so we had quite the chat about pilgrimage.

Question #5 made me laugh out loud. Odd series of questions.

The last time I entered the UK by air, I was en route home from Santiago and the officer’s daughter worked at Canterbury cathedral, so we had quite the chat about pilgrimage.

Sometime afterward, I had a chat with a contact who trained Canadian Border Services Agency officials, and he was quite perplexed. He wondered if I had just encountered an oddball, but it was troubling that supervision had not caught this.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am looking at tat flights from Toronto to Biarritz and maybe could I get your advice on feasibility of arriving at CDG from Toronto at 8:40AM, and making it to a flight at 10:50 AM also at CDG for an easyjet flight to Biarritz. Am I cutting it too close?

I would allow at least three hours between arrival time and your next timing.

-The first problem is assumption your plane arrives on time.
-half hour to disembark and get your luggage
-customs is a mugs game that could take an hour depending on how many people are in the line up.
-It can take more than an hour to get from one terminal of CDG to another. (make sure to do a map recce of the airport to reduce orientation time) The airport website gives reasonable estimates. https://www.parisaeroport.fr/en
-You will have to go through security again to board the domestic flight
-Easy Jet has rules about being in the departure lounge prior to boarding (20 minutes ?) That has to get added to your time appreciation.

On the plus side, I've traveled several times with Easy Jet and recall them being late every time. Usually several hours late. But reliably late? I don't think that is something to plan on.

I don't think you have enough time between arrival and departure. Your plan might fly but it depends on working like a proverbial Swiss watch.

Hello G. We also find it difficult flying from Vancouver. But if you fly on Air Transat into Bordeaux or Toulouse there is a convenient train every 2 hours or so to Narbonne. You would need to take the shuttle from the airport to the train station, but that is pretty simple! We last flew from YVR to Frankfurt, then on to Pamplona but the prices will depend on the dates!

Hello G. We also find it difficult flying from Vancouver. But if you fly on Air Transat into Bordeaux or Toulouse there is a convenient train every 2 hours or so to Narbonne. You would need to take the shuttle from the airport to the train station, but that is pretty simple! We last flew from YVR to Frankfurt, then on to Pamplona but the prices will depend on the dates!
Thank you, appreciate your response. Yes I am watching Air T into those French cities, I cringe at their layovers in Toronto/Montreal, but good fares and thanks for pointing out how frequent the trains are. Outbound there are several options with good fares, the return is trickier. At this point the one I'm most closely watching is Air C return to Barcelona - hoping for a new year seat sale :) !

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I hope that you meant the train to Bayonne, not Narbonne! Mind you, there is a Camino which goes from Narbonne (le Chemin d'Arles) through to Toulouse and eventually to Santiago, but I don't know if that's what @Genevievala is looking for....

However, if she takes the early morning train from Toulouse to Bayonne (and then up to SJPdP), I would recommend picking up a lunch or something to eat on the way. The Intercité is about an hour faster and likely has a snack bar.

And if she goes out of Barcelona, she should be doubly careful of her passport and wallet while there-- it is one of the pickpocket capitals of the world and the airport and train station are revenue points for these folk.

Most read last week in this forum

I am flying into Madrid and will arrive early morning. My thought is to go directly to Toledo and stay two nights there in a hotel or hostel so that I will have the ability to sleep during the...
Hello, it's been about 7 years since my last Camino, and this will be the first time I have had to book trains within Spain. There seems to be a few different train booking sites. Booking from...
Hello everyone. My husband has been talking about walking this trail for over 35 years —- since he was 20 years old. But, life’s problems alway seem to get in the way, don’t they? He’s been...
Hi I was wondering if anyone was taking the Express Bouricott from Biarritz to SJPP on the afternoon of 27th May as I am looking to join a group booking if possible….many thanks 😊
Would I be able to bring a backpack (size 20 -25 L) into the cabin and hold on to it rather than being forced to put the backpack into the luggage compartment of the bus? I'm reading several...
Looking for suggestions How do I get to Fatima from Lisbon Airport. Thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back