• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel Route, Toronto Canada to Irun

Time of past OR future Camino
2017 - Camino Frances
2019 - Camino Portugues
Good morning. I’ve searched the forum with no success. Please, suggestions for travel route from Toronto to Irun. Starting the Camino del Norte in early May. Thank you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Good morning. I’ve searched the forum with no success. Please, suggestions for travel route from Toronto to Irun. Starting the Camino del Norte in early May. Thank you.
Michael Mattalo,

Try Rome2Rio for various transport possibities. Also put Toronto into the search box at the upper left on on this page for any posts citing this city. Do the same for Irun.

Happy research and Buen camino!
PS. Here is a recent quote from David Tallin a Toronto member.
"Did you know that the Toronto Camino Community is hosting a Camino Meeting on Saturday March 4 at the Beach United Church, 140 Winevra Drive, doors open at 8:30 for a 9:00 am start?"

Last edited:
San Sebastian airport is actually much closer to Irun than San Sebastian. About 3km from the town centre. There are fairly cheap flights from Madrid. Or you could fly to Paris then take a train to Hendaye which is just over the border. Or fly from Toronto to London, take a flight to Biarritz then a 30 minute train journey to Hendaye, and return to London directly from Santiago at the end of your walk. How you get to Irun really depends on what is your preferred route to and from a major hub in Europe.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Cheapest way for you is likely to be Toronto - Paris and then TGV (train) to Hendaye. Then walk to Irun. Train we took left from Gare Montparnasse in Paris and we spent a day or two in Paris before heading south. Hendaye is on the border with Irun. Public transport is available from the train station to San Sebastian. We usually opt for an "open jaw" ticket, and in your case flight home might be from Madrid or Porto if you walk the entire Norte. Finally, check out Air Transat for your airline tickets.

My wife and I fly from Montreal and have done so 5-6 times to walk various Camino routes. Send me a PM if you'd like more help.

Cheapest way for you is likely to be Toronto - Paris and then TGV (train) to Hendaye. Then walk to Irun. Train we took left from Gare Montparnasse in Paris and we spent a day or two in Paris before heading south. Hendaye is on the border with Irun. Public transport is available from the train station to San Sebastian. We usually opt for an "open jaw" ticket, and in your case flight home might be from Madrid or Porto if you walk the entire Norte. Finally, check out Air Transat for your airline tickets.

My wife and I fly from Montreal and have done so 5-6 times to walk various Camino routes. Send me a PM if you'd like more help.
Thank you. Have used Paris before but to Biarritz to SJPdP. … seems all to be close by.

San Sebastian airport is actually much closer to Irun than San Sebastian. About 3km from the town centre. There are fairly cheap flights from Madrid. Or you could fly to Paris then take a train to Hendaye which is just over the border. Or fly from Toronto to London, take a flight to Biarritz then a 30 minute train journey to Hendaye, and return to London directly from Santiago at the end of your walk. How you get to Irun really depends on what is your preferred route to and from a major hub in Europe.
Thank you very much.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I flew from Montreal to Bordeaux with Air Transat than took the train to Hendaye. Flight is also available from Toronto. City Bus in Bordeaux from the Airport to train station on a regular basis.

I live on Vancouver Island - flew with Air Canada/Lufthansa through Frankfurt to Madrid then with Iberia to San Sebastian aiport in Irun last September ( it was a learning to change aiport terminals but there were hours to do this so I had time). Worked well! You will have less hours to fly than me! This year I am planning something similar but am walking the Primitivo from Oviedo since I stuck with the complete del Norte last year (it was a hard decision at the intersection but am glad I completed del Norte)- so will land in Madrid an my understanding is that starting in the spring there will be a fast train from Madrid to Oviedo! Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I did the Norte in 2018 flying through Toronto to Paris CDG. Landed in Paris got directly on the bus to Paris Montparnasse train station. Had a nice lunch and walk. Then boarded the train directly to Hendaye. Got off the great train ride and walked out of the train station and across the bridge into Irun and my stay for the night. Minimal hassle and an enjoyable adjunct to my Camino experience. Enjoy the Norte, use the alternate off road options well documented in the forum, it's once of the best and a serious achievement.
Frank

Thank you. Have used Paris before but to Biarritz to SJPdP. … seems all to be close by.
It may be easier and/or cheaper to fly to Biarritz, and there are buses and trains from Biarritz to Irun.

Or you might consider starting your walk from Bayonne per the stages on Gronze.

I did the Norte in 2018 flying through Toronto to Paris CDG. Landed in Paris got directly on the bus to Paris Montparnasse train station. Had a nice lunch and walk. Then boarded the train directly to Hendaye. Got off the great train ride and walked out of the train station and across the bridge into Irun and my stay for the night. Minimal hassle and an enjoyable adjunct to my Camino experience. Enjoy the Norte, use the alternate off road options well documented in the forum, it's once of the best and a serious achievement.
Frank
This is a nice option. Thank you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I’m also walking del Norte early May! I’m simply flying from Chicago to Madrid, relaxing in Madrid overnight. The next morning taking the high speed rail (Renfe) to Irun. Walking that early afternoon up to Hondarribia, where I’ll stay overnight and begin the following day from there! Wooohooo! Can’t wait! Ultreia my fellow pilgrim 🙏🤩✨⭐⚡🌟

¡Hola!

I walked the del norte back in 2018. I flew from Montreal to Madrid, then took the train to Irun. Back then, it was the cheapest way for me.

Buen camino

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back