Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Casa Ivar Pin
Custom hard enamel pin badge with silver coloured locking pin. Size: 30 mm.
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

Travel from Madrid to Puente la Reina

Patrick O'Shea

Year of past OR future Camino
Hello my name is Patrick and I am planning/hoping to walk in April 2019 till May 2019 starting the walk in Puente la Reina to Santiago. I will fly into Madrid from Amsterdam, and from there was considering bus to Puente la Reina. I have noted that I could take bus 200 to Avenida America and then with either Autocares Grupo Samar or PLM Autocares go to Puenta la Reina on a bus ride of about 5 hrs 20 minutes with cost about 25-40 Euros, leaving approximately 15:00 and arriving 20:20. There also appears a possibility to go from terminal T4 at the airport on I believe a service called ALSA to Pamplona (unsure of price or times, and could then possibly take a bus or taxi on to Puenta la Reina.
Could someone advise which would be the best option for cost and time, from the airport via Pamplona, or airport to Avenida America and then on to Puenta la Reina. Oh, and since I am above 60 years old, would another option to go by train on what I believe is called a "Tarjeta Dorado", also from T4 on the Cercanias commuter train to Atocha train station, and on to Pamplona, and then on to Puenta la Reina.
It is possible I am overcomplicating things, but would appreciate suggestions.

Thanks,

Patrick

how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
I personally would catch the bus from T-4 Madrid airport to Pamplona.
Then in Pamplona, there should be several buses a day to Puente la Reina.

Tvsteve

Last yr I caught the bus at T4, seems like it was mid morning and got to Pamplona mid afternoon. Very easy. Met several pilgrims that I ran into along the way to Santiago. We caught a taxi to SJPDP.

Next time I do the Camino, I think I’ll start in Pamplona. That first day to Puente la Reina is special.

Unique engravings about the Camino de Santiago from Gabriel and other art objects.
John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.
Frances(2006) Portugues(2013)
San Salvador (2017) Ingles (2019)
Yes it is special, that first day. In fact from Pamplona there is a local bus to Cizur Menor where there are 2 albergues, and that lops 5km approx off the walk to Puente La Reina. One of the Cizur albergues is operated by the Knights of Malta, the other by a legend, Casa Maribel, or some such name. All reports of her albergue are positive, to the best of my knowledge. Buen Camino...
Edit: sorry, I see your starting point will be Puente, I hadn’t registered that in the second part of my brain! Yes, plenty bus options from Pamplona.

Last edited:
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
Hello my name is Patrick and I am planning/hoping to walk in April 2019 till May 2019 starting the walk in Puente la Reina to Santiago.
Thanks,

Patrick

Patrick, is there a reason you don't just walk from Pamplona? It is a WONDERFUL city, beautiful in April, and easy to find nice lodging in, especially if you book now. I'm not sure where you are flying in from, but it's also a great place to adjust to the time change if you're flying from the US.

Puiu

Hello my name is Patrick and I am planning/hoping to walk in April 2019 till May 2019 starting the walk in Puente la Reina to Santiago. I will fly into Madrid from Amsterdam, and from there was considering bus to Puente la Reina. I have noted that I could take bus 200 to Avenida America and then with either Autocares Grupo Samar or PLM Autocares go to Puenta la Reina on a bus ride of about 5 hrs 20 minutes with cost about 25-40 Euros, leaving approximately 15:00 and arriving 20:20. There also appears a possibility to go from terminal T4 at the airport on I believe a service called ALSA to Pamplona (unsure of price or times, and could then possibly take a bus or taxi on to Puenta la Reina.
Could someone advise which would be the best option for cost and time, from the airport via Pamplona, or airport to Avenida America and then on to Puenta la Reina. Oh, and since I am above 60 years old, would another option to go by train on what I believe is called a "Tarjeta Dorado", also from T4 on the Cercanias commuter train to Atocha train station, and on to Pamplona, and then on to Puenta la Reina.
It is possible I am overcomplicating things, but would appreciate suggestions.

Thanks,

Patrick
Just change the date! Atention, you can search BUT NOT BUY, until one month before you go! But you can see the buses and hours you will go! - https://www.goeuro.es

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads