• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tui to Santiago April 23

cathnash

Hi,

I know I've left this rather late. I'm a new Irish member hoping to walk the Camino from Tui to Santiago beginning April 23rd, 2011.It is my first time.

I'm hoping to fly from Dublin to Oporto, Portugal. Then take a train to Tui.

Just wondering if it is better to go with a tour company who organise luggage and accomodation?

I'd appreciate any information. I will be travelling alone.

cathnash

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Cathnash,

I'm walking the same route myself with 3 friends from 23rd April, although we will be starting just over the border in Valenca. Our plan is to fly in to Porto on 23rd and then take train up to Valenca. Commencing our Camino on the 24th.

It should take 5 days (stages are 30, 20.5, 21.1, 17, 24km respectively). There are Albergues and\or hotels (check out http://www.booking.com for availability ) at convenient points so if you are happy to carry your rucksack you should have little problem in arranging your own accommodation. I am not aware of any companies that offer to arrange this for you on this route but no doubt other forum members may be able to help in this regard.

If you haven't already, take a look at the Camino Portuguese guide at http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm that Jonny Walker had produced for the CSJ. This is a free download (a donation is requested) and will give you plenty of information regarding stages, distances, accommodation (both Albergues and hotels\hostals) and just about any other information a Peregrino could hope for.

I've already researched trains, sorted out accommodation and the return journey from Santiago to Porto so if there is any more specific information you need feel free to send me a PM and I'll see if I can help.

Maybe we will see you somewhere on route :)

Good luck with your planning and Buen Camino.
Mig

Dear Mig,

Thank you so much for all that information. I will indeed get back to you if I need help, when I have myself a bit more organised. Haven't booked flights yet!

Cathnash

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The route from Tui to Santi is very easy. If you pack lihgt enough you won't have any trouble carring your things. Also, Pilgrim traffic is likely to be slow on that walk in late April so you likely will not have any trouble finding a bed. One pieceof advice, the walk out of Tui can be unpleasant. There is a long industrial section on the way to Oporrino. We took a bus out of Tui for about 15K and then started walking again. You can easily find the stop if you ask at the tourist centre.

Buen Camino to both of you.

Bev

Hi Beverly,

Thanks for that information.

Would we still have our minumum 100km requirement for the Santiago passport with taking the bus that distance?

Cathnash

The last 100 km must be walked continuously, so qualifying for the Compostela will depend on where you take a bus or taxi.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well, I think I messed up. I just calculated the distance according to the St. James Confraternity site and I came up with 99 km from Tui to Santiago if you ride for 15. Sorry about that, I guess I need to go back to Santiago and turn in my certificate. :oops:

Re: Tui to Santiago April 23 - A GREAT BIG THANK YOU

On April 1st, 2011, I decided that I wanted to do the Camino on April 23rd, 2011. Sounds like an April fool joke - at such short notice! However, thanks to the help I got from the St James Society, here in Ireland, and especially from the Camino de Santiago forum - I had a wonderful pilgrimage.

I am sharing here a little of my experience in the hope that it will be of interest or help to other pilgrims.

I had wanted to do the Camino for about 5 years but it never worked out for me. However, this time, from the minute I made up my mind, everything fell into place, which confirmed for me that the time was right.

On March 26th, 2011, I returned from Sydney after my daughter's wedding. I was overwhelmed by a sense of gratitude for how well everything had gone, and for her wonderful husband and his welcoming family. I decided on April 1st to do a pilgrimage of thanksgiving. I knew at such short notice that I would be doing it alone.

So on April 2nd I came across this wonderful forum, and signed up. I put out my request and next day I was contacted by Miguel. He had done the Camino 3 times with his 3 friends, and they were beginning the Portugese route from the same starting point on the same day as me! They were coming from the UK and I was coming from Ireland. What a blessing this proved to be - they became my archangels.

Through the forum, Mig gave me all the information I needed so that I was able to plan my camino, day by day. Within a short time I had all my bookings done and time left over to carefully plan my packing! I decided to carry my own luggage, and to stay in hotels/guesthouses. I'm a light sleeper so the Albergues wouldn't suit me.

Co-incidentally the St James Society held an open day in Cork on April 9th. There I picked up John Brierley's guide to the Portugese Camino which proved to be excellent. I also bought my pilgrims passport, and spoke to a man who had done the Portugese route.

There was a very good practical demonstration on what to pack, and this allowed me to bring my rucksack on a Ryanair flight as hand luggage - and still have everything I needed for a week away!

A very useful tip was to bring 2 extra long bootlaces and some large safety pins. This can be turned into a clothes line and the safety pins act as clothespegs. This allowed me to wash out my dri-fit clothes each day, and hang them in the ensuite bathroom near a window overnight. I had fresh clothes all the time.

Fortunately the weather was fantastic so I never needed to use my poncho. My pocket sized umbrella was only used to shelter from the sun on one day.

One of the most useful items I took was a compass on a string around my neck. This was especially useful in cities. When your feet are sore and you are bone weary the last thing you need is to be going in the wrong direction!

My Camino forum badge was spotted by one of Mig's companions, while boarding the train from Oporto to Valenca. They had just come from the UK and I had come from Ireland the previous night. I had found my guardian angels! And by the time we landed in Valenca I felt that I had known them all my life.

The next 5 days proved to be an amazing pilgrimage. As they say - what happens on the Camino stays on the Camino. It had it's ups and downs. It certainly was a mystical journey. I came home spiritually renewed. What I thought was going to be just a thanksgiving pilgrimage turned out to be a whole lot more.

This is not just a beautiful walk through nature - there is a very real spiritual presence on this camino and a sense of unity between pilgrims. And it's not just with the ones that you meet along the way - you can sense the bond with all pilgrims down through the ages who have trudged the same paths.

I did most of my accommodation bookings through booking.com. It's a very easy website to navigate, and it offers great flexability with the bookings.

I found the following hotels very good: Hotel Colon Tui in Tui (or Tuy); Hotel Antolin in Redondela; Hotel Madrid in Pontevedra; Hotel Torre de Rio (my favourite!) in Caldas de Reis; Hotel la Scala in Padron; Hotel Avenida on Fuente de San Antonio in Santiago.

If I was doing this route again there are only 2 things that I would do differently. The stages were 30, 20.5, 21.1, 17, 24km respectively) I would divide up the first day's walking. I would allow 2 days for the 30km from Valenca to Redondela instead of 1. (I got blisters on the first day despite all precautions and advice being followed.)

Secondly, I brought hiking boots and sandals. I think I would bring my walking trainers instead of the boots as this section of the Portugese camino is relatively flat. Or else I would bring the boots and trainers - and not bother with the sandals - especially at that time of the year - its not too hot.

Again many thanks to all who responded to my initial query, especially Miguel and his companions. Also thank you to the pilgrims I met along the route - I won't name them - but on the off chance that someone reads this and remembers me walking between Easter Sunday morning and the following Thursday from Tui to Santiago. Go raibh mile maith agat!

Prepare for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2
Re: Tui to Santiago April 23 - A GREAT BIG THANK YOU

cathnash said:
Co-incidentally the St James Society held an open day in Cork on April 9th. There I picked up John Brierley's guide to the Portugese Camino which proved to be excellent. I also bought my pilgrims passport, and spoke to a man who had done the Portugese route.
There was a very good practical demonstration on what to pack, and this allowed me to bring my rucksack on a Ryanair flight as hand luggage - and still have everything I needed for a week away!

cathnash, You might consider e-mailing Society in Dublin and offering to contribute at a future information day they might have in the Munster region or elsewhere.

Sounds like you had a fantastic trip/life experience. I'm doing it next April (Sarria to Santiago) with my Dad (from Dublin, I'm in Perth WA) and hope to report such a wonderful experience. I have no doubt that it will be one of the best things I have done in my life.

Thank you for the very useful information. I may well do the CP this summer. :D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings fellow travelers, I am hoping to do my first international trip at 57 and solo to walk the Camino Primitivo in mid-July. I want to book the trip through either Santiago Ways or Camino...
I'll be volunteering in Santiago July 01- July 15 this year with the Camino Companions who offer services for the English speaking pilgrims, announcements at mass, English Mass at the Pilgrim's...
Hi my name is Bryce (Australian) and I’m doing the Camino Frances starting September 15. My wife is 57 years old and was born without her left thigh bone. She can wear a prosthetic leg for very...
Hello✨✨✨✨ I ve just finished my thirty-day walk from San Sebastian and it’s a weird feeling I m going through , a mix of sadness and solitude. I kept afar Icts in the past few days to « see » and...
Hi everyone, I was just listening to Ivar's last video and he mentioned Ed Sheeran. So fyi: a heads up. Ed Sheeran will be doing a concert at Monte de Gozo on July 6th this year. Expect there to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back