• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

twenty one days

katy06

Hello pilgrims.
I am starting from St Jean Pied du Port from 6 July. Would it be possible to do the pilgrimage in about twenty one days?I am a student.. I have a few responsibilities .. that is why..
And, can one start at 0300 hours ? That way walking about four miles an hour until 10.00 am and then doing some resting and sight seeing... is that possible..

I am a student and have a few responsibilities .. that is why..
Please let me know..
Many thanks
K

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
21 days would be very ambitious and probably unrealistic. And as for the 3am starts you would make a lot of fellow pilgrims very, very unhappy with the early morning noise. Some albergues actually lock the doors until morning. If you were to stay in private accommodation you could perhaps leave early but it would add up budget-wise, you'd miss out on the group experience and it is sometimes difficult to find your way out of towns in the dark, and lastly, you would be missing so much beauty!

My suggestion would be to begin in St Jean but then skip the meseta portion of the camino, about a week of walking, and jump ahead to be able to finish in Santiago. Or just go as far as you can and not finish this time around? 21 days would mean about 40km per day. While a few long days are not too hard to do, 21 in a row could be too much. Likewise, because you also have to adjust your distances based on where to sleep, it might be difficult to gauge it precisely.

But good luck, take care of your feet and buen camino!

peace,
Doog

besides what are the odds you're gonna be in a sight-seeing kind of place at ten a.m?

in a perfect world, i'd say walk from sun-up til too hot (say six til noonish), then chill under a tree for a while still it starts to cool off (late afternoon), then walk again for three or four hours

but then would you ever get a bed?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
it's certainly doable - this april/may i did it in 20 days - but you'll have to average 40km a day - i started at 7am most mornings and on average walked for 7.25 hours a day with a single break of say 45 mins - and it was somewhat cooler though there were some pretty wam days

My question is why hurry? The Camino is not entirely about the destination but what you learn, see, do, experience, take part in, understand, meet all along the way. If you just want to get to Santiago, catch a bus. If time's limited, walk at a comfortable steady pace, and come back to complete the rest of the Way another time. Don't spoil the experience by being on such a limited time frame.

aussiejames said:
My question is why hurry? The Camino is not entirely about the destination but what you learn, see, do, experience, take part in, understand, meet all along the way. If you just want to get to Santiago, catch a bus. If time's limited, walk at a comfortable steady pace, and come back to complete the rest of the Way another time. Don't spoil the experience by being on such a limited time frame.

I couldn't agree more. I've written about this in an earlier post. Of course, the camino is an indvidual trip, and everybody has to find their own way. But the experience some of us got, was that if you hurry, you never get to take in the beautiful landscape, the flowers, the birds singing, the beautiful people along the way, and all the good energies you get from all this. The moment I slowed down, I startet enjoying this in a whole other level. The camino deserves to be experienced, not rushed through.

But, anyway, everyone has to find their own way of doing it, and what is suitable for one pilgrim may not be suitable for all.

Buen camino, and listen to your heart and feet along the way. :D

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Why hurry

I heard a joke once about this... two bulls in a field, an old bull and a young bull.. but I'll let you figure it out.

Anyway, my question is on the other end of the scale. We are leaving September 1 and do not have to be at Amsterdam for our return flight until November 1. So I'm wondering if anyone (officials) care how SLOW we make the trip? There are a lot of things I'd like to see. Plus I don't know if I honestly am able to walk 20 km per day! Maybe... but why do it if I don't have to?

So could we maybe walk from SJPP to Finesterre in 50 days, leaving 8 days for Northern Portugal and Lisbon, without anyone being upset at us?

Well, I walk slow, talk to people, enjoy, let my donkey graze.... and I walk about six or seven hours most days. Distance varies, so what?
No one will get cross if you are slow, and you will get a lot out of it. Why hurry?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Well, I never found any.... but then, I never found many refuges, either, last time I walked, and stayed mostly in a tent. On the other hand, I was on the Camino del Norte and Camino Primitivo, which makes a big difference. Also my donkey needed to graze at night, so I looked for camping places rather than refuges. And remember, distances will vary according to the difficulty of the terrain, as well.

Thank you. Cd I not start a litle earlier 0400 hours.. I suggested the early dawn as in ancient mythology is supposed. it to be very auspicious...
That way walking for 7 hours wd mean reaching 11 a,m, and then resting in between - midday.. 28 miles a day.. and lots of strecthing.
Thanks again

spursfan said:
it's certainly doable - this april/may i did it in 20 days - but you'll have to average 40km a day - i started at 7am most mornings and on average walked for 7.25 hours a day with a single break of say 45 mins - and it was somewhat cooler though there were some pretty wam days

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It's crazy to start walking much earlier than say 7am for lots of reasons - if it's dark and/or no one to follow then you're more likely to get lost; the heat in the middle of the day shouldn't force you to stop walking (just drink more) and, most importantly, it's just so selfish towards fellow pilgrims to disturb them by getting up so early (however quiet you think you are)

Stopping for the night

Thank you,

Ideally here wd you stop for the night given this schedule -- I mean refugicios on the way -- starting from St jean pied du Port ..
Thanks

leslie said:
yes
there are hospitaleras who won't let you into albergues if you haven't walked "enough", esp in galicia

Where to stop

Katy,

I can't say enough positive things about Brierley's book called The Pilgrim's Guide to the Camino de Santiago.

Joe and I bought one for the Camino Frances, one for the Portuguese Camino, and one for Finesterre and WE LOVE THEM!

First of all, they are small and compact so you can carry them along.
Second, they have wonderful maps that are easy to read.
Third, they have great photos that inspire you
Fourth, they have good info on history and archeology
Fifth, they have a little "mystical" meditation that is lovely.

The front and back covers flip out into small section maps which are easy to access and easy to read.

He breaks the trip up into 31 days of walking between 20 to 25 km per day. He gives you a LOT of information about history, and gives you good information on the alburgues along the way. The maps are nicely detailed so you can see where you are going and whether or not you may make it to another town if you want to walk farther or not so far.

Also, he gives the following (in Euros) as a "guideline" which means it can vary, but won't vary a lot:

Albergue (municipal) E5
Albergue (private) E10
Hospedaje/Camas E12

Pensions go from 15 to 35 Euros, depending on if they are 1,2, or 3 stars
Hostals go from 20 to 50 euros, again depending on # of stars
Hotels go from 35 to 150 Euros, depending on # of stars

He also lists "open sky" as being free ::smile::

In his book, he lists many municipal and private albergues and shows photos. If a place has gotten bad reviews, he tells you.

It really is a fantastic guide for the money and for me, has given me a lot more confidence in planning this trip, leaving space, of course, to be spontaneous without being afraid. The cost was $28.99 and I ordered it through Amazon.com.

Good luck.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Re: Where to stop

many many thanks Deborah. Yes, will get that book.

Bueno camino

katy
Deborah said:
Katy,

I can't say enough positive things about Brierley's book called The Pilgrim's Guide to the Camino de Santiago.

Joe and I bought one for the Camino Frances, one for the Portuguese Camino, and one for Finesterre and WE LOVE THEM!

First of all, they are small and compact so you can carry them along.
Second, they have wonderful maps that are easy to read.
Third, they have great photos that inspire you
Fourth, they have good info on history and archeology
Fifth, they have a little "mystical" meditation that is lovely.

The front and back covers flip out into small section maps which are easy to access and easy to read.

He breaks the trip up into 31 days of walking between 20 to 25 km per day. He gives you a LOT of information about history, and gives you good information on the alburgues along the way. The maps are nicely detailed so you can see where you are going and whether or not you may make it to another town if you want to walk farther or not so far.

Also, he gives the following (in Euros) as a "guideline" which means it can vary, but won't vary a lot:

Albergue (municipal) E5
Albergue (private) E10
Hospedaje/Camas E12

Pensions go from 15 to 35 Euros, depending on if they are 1,2, or 3 stars
Hostals go from 20 to 50 euros, again depending on # of stars
Hotels go from 35 to 150 Euros, depending on # of stars

He also lists "open sky" as being free ::smile::

In his book, he lists many municipal and private albergues and shows photos. If a place has gotten bad reviews, he tells you.

It really is a fantastic guide for the money and for me, has given me a lot more confidence in planning this trip, leaving space, of course, to be spontaneous without being afraid. The cost was $28.99 and I ordered it through Amazon.com.

Good luck.

I too used and appreciated the Brierley book - my schedule started gradually with a single stage of the book each day but then I was getting to the refuges about midday or 1pm - so I then started to do a second stage after lunch - so my daily mileage varied from 20k or so to 57k! - it would probably have been more sensible to instead aim for a constant k each day with modest allowance for the couple of big climbs

My nights after StJPP were at Roncesvalles, Larrasoanna, Cizur Menor, Estella, Viana, Najera, Belorado, Burgos, Castrojeriz, Carrion, Sahagun, Mansilla, Leon (half-day), Hospital del Orbigo, Riego, Trabadelo, Triacastela, Portomarin, Ribadiso and Santiago

Thanks

Many thanks. If one were to reach Biarritz at about 1600 hours then take a coach to bayone? and then a train to SJPP/ How long wd that journey be?

And, that means spending the night at SJPp or can we walk on to Roncesvalles?
have kept a few days extra just in case..
Thanks again.

spursfan said:
I too used and appreciated the Brierley book - my schedule started gradually with a single stage of the book each day but then I was getting to the refuges about midday or 1pm - so I then started to do a second stage after lunch - so my daily mileage varied from 20k or so to 57k! - it would probably have been more sensible to instead aim for a constant k each day with modest allowance for the couple of big climbs

My nights after StJPP were at Roncesvalles, Larrasoanna, Cizur Menor, Estella, Viana, Najera, Belorado, Burgos, Castrojeriz, Carrion, Sahagun, Mansilla, Leon (half-day), Hospital del Orbigo, Riego, Trabadelo, Triacastela, Portomarin, Ribadiso and Santiago

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I got to SJPP about 7.30pm and started walking early in the morning

Remember to take it easy on the first day especially - it's very easy to do something that will stop you walking so speed shouldn't be your main priority at that stage

many thanks

Yes, will do that also and keep your advice in mind. hope that it will be ok and my walking shoes hold up also..Di d you get two pairs?
and on SJPp where did you stay? I wd like to do teh pilgrimage and stay in refugicios only

spursfan said:
I got to SJPP about 7.30pm and started walking early in the morning

Remember to take it easy on the first day especially - it's very easy to do something that will stop you walking so speed shouldn't be your main priority at that stage

Hi Katy06

Hi -

Although I understand your desire to experience everything in your time frame, you have to just chill, and get the message(s) of the camino. Experience being part of Spain - you will not be a tourist - every step you take will make you part of that land. Part of a community of peregrinos. A separate kind of peace in your mind as you contemplate and experience this awesome journey. An understanding of yourself as you undertake such a journey and why you have done so. You get the picture. It is not a time-sensitive thing. If it is, why you can just do part of it this year, and the rest of it in subsequent years. It is just too magical to rush.

Peace,

lynne

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
hi there,
so you have a few days left and im sure you are going through preparations like crazy! In my opinion, it is wiser to go less distance and stay healthy (mentally and physically) than it is to try to accomplish the whole camino frances in 21 days. When you are preoccupied with the amount of distance you travel you block out what is truly important. if you worry and try to push yourself to the max you will very easily hurt yourself. Trail legs dont kick in until 2-3 weeks so you will find yourself in great shape just when you are about to leave the trail. Also remember the goal is not the start point or the finish point. it is the travel in between. There is no award for the fastest walker, no cookie or golden star. Id say start somewhere a bit closer and relax in your walk. no one cares how far you walk, no one else will have experience what you allow yourself to. great advice came to me years ago when i was out on the appalachian trail. "Go slow, Go Far."
buen camino
chris

Community of Peregrinos..

That is what I have always had in mind and I have allowed an extra week. have also learnt that whilst in India which is such a great country and its ancient culture .. every step is sacred ..

Some of us have responsibilities having squandered a liot of time .. and cannot afford that luxury.. so have to be a bit time sensitive and also, may not get another chance..
Thanks again..

lynnejohn said:
Hi -

Although I understand your desire to experience everything in your time frame, you have to just chill, and get the message(s) of the camino. Experience being part of Spain - you will not be a tourist - every step you take will make you part of that land. Part of a community of peregrinos. A separate kind of peace in your mind as you contemplate and experience this awesome journey. An understanding of yourself as you undertake such a journey and why you have done so. You get the picture. It is not a time-sensitive thing. If it is, why you can just do part of it this year, and the rest of it in subsequent years. It is just too magical to rush.

Peace,

lynne

take your time

Ok Spurstan, you said it was crazy to start before 7. well if you are not up, the sun gets up at 6:45am,. I was up at 5:30 to head out about 6:20. this was perfect, there was enough light, it was quiet and the sunrises were amazing.

to do 40km in a day in my opinion is nuts. i averaged 28, which was perfect. 33 abit too much, so true it is in the journey, what one learns about themselves and others.
Deborah, take the 50 days, i did it in 43 days, and i was ready to turn around and do it all over.
the best part of galicia for me was santiago to finisterre, less touristy and less people. i would recommend hospedaje lopez in fisterre, for 1 was 15 E, 20 for 2. each room has amazing views, and of course, take your bottle wine to the lighthouse to watch the sunset, burn afew clothes...... ah
can't wait to do another hike
dawn

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
when i talked about not leaving before 7am i had two things in mind - first i walked in late april/ early may so the sun would rise later than in june or july; secondly it depends on waht time everyone else is getting up so that you don't disturb others in the refugio

how far you choose to walk in a day depends partly on how quickly you can walk - i was able to sustain close to 6 km p/hr so on average was walking a little over 7 hours a day - that gave me plenty on time to enjoy the relative solitude and the countryside as i walked

take your time

spursfan, it is great you are considering what time others are getting up, however when i walked may/june, people choose to get going and it DIDN't matter what time, like 4:30and 5am. it was tough to sleep in longer.
Great you could do 6km. at times i could do 5km. i preferred to stop about 1pm doing 25km in a day, i didn't need a sleep, and i had the energy to sitesee in the afternoon. It is in the journey not the destination. Everyone knows there own limit, for me 30km was enough.
d

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back