• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Umm... Hiya!

Daydream

Thought I might introduce myself.
My name is Nicole and I'm from Sweden and I'm a fresh noob on this forum.
I just compleated my first Camino about a month ago. And it was the single best thing I've ever done in my life.
Atm. I'm raising money to be able to walk next year as well and also to be able to do my big walk from home in 2009-2010. If anyone here's got any experience of walking the Camino from their own country I'll be glad to hear it.

Lots of Love

/Nicole

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
umm --- hiya

Hi Nicole,
I'm Brendan in the north of England. In March 2005 I stepped out from my house to walk all the way to Santiago. This meant walking to the ferry at North Shields and crossing to Amsterdam, and then walking on from there. I decided to walk down to Le Puy-en-Velay, via Rheims and Vezelay, because then there are more gites. Going through Holland, Belgium and northern France I had worked out roughly which towns might have hotels, b&b's. I didn't always get it right and sometimes in France the hotels are closed Sunday night.
Another advantage of going via Le Puy is that you will meet other pilgrims, if that is what you like, after many weeks of walking alone. Because of publicity over recent years you will find, if you carry a shell, that people recognize what you are doing and will give you encouragement. The whole journey took 4 months.
There are many things I could say but perhaps it is better if you ask some direct questions. Since there are not many pilgrims who start from their own country it may be better to go on to private e-mails for further questions and advice. Let me know what you think.
Best wishes,
Brendan

Brendan - I love the idea that you stepped out of your house and walked to Santiago!

How long did it take?

For me as a Canadian, the though of walking across my country is quite bizarre. (It would be rather lonely en route and I really have no wish to try it.)

- clare

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
walking from home

Hi folks,
Last year I met 2 guys who walked all the way from Austria and also Beno who walked all the way from Rome!
A little known fact is that from Ireland pilgrims used to leave from St James gate bridge right beside the Guiness Brewery, yes the famous guiness brewery in Dublin. Today you can still get a stamp on your credential at the gates of St James Gate Brewery. Then of course you have to leave and continue, sober.

Anyway.
Nice to talk.

Peter

umm -hiya

cebr2004 said:
Brendan - I love the idea that you stepped out of your house and walked to Santiago!

How long did it take?

For me as a Canadian, the though of walking across my country is quite bizarre. (It would be rather lonely en route and I really have no wish to try it.)

- clare
Hi Clare,
I had walked from Le Puy-en-Velay in 1996 but was left with the yearning to start from home like medieval pilgrims. So I decided that during my 60th year I would make this pilgrimage. I started from home on the 1st March and arrived in Santiago on 20th June 2005 - approx 4 months.
To walk across Canada is a bit different from walking in Europe - you would be walking across a Continent!
Many thanks for your interest.
Regards,
Brendan

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello peregrinos, we are Sara and Giuseppe, a Italian couple, we lost today a sleeping bag, in the way, from Pamplona to Puente De la Reina, anyone has found it? Let us know please.
Greetings to everyone, my name is Emre, I am actually from Turkey but I am currently doing an internship in Paris. I have had experience with routes such as the Lycian Way before, so I think I...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back