• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Unplugging

Irène Elisabet

St Benedict Ora Pro Nobis!
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2014)
I am interested in hearing forum members thoughts and experiences in walking the Camino "unplugged" Meaning no phone, iphone, smartphone, blackberry/blueberry, ipod, peapod, ipad, iwhatevers ;) For reasons various are my husband and I planning our first (hopefully of many) Camino Spring 2014 but one HUGE reason is to step off the treadmill, aka hamster wheel and have a simpler, quieter experience. Is it unreasonable to walk sans phone and watch?? Have many of you done this and did you find this enriching? Or did this cause complications? Please do tell and thank you all in advance!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Exactly. I walked a couple of caminos unplugged before there were smartphones.;) Now we take one because of the age and health of our dear ones. We need to be reachable. The phone is in my pack as well.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Our very simple talk/text phones are kept turned off. They can be useful if we need to call and book a room or are there in an emergency to call for help.
The family do not expect calls or text (and vice versa) unless there was an emergency, so we do check occasionally. We do wear watches, that helps to know when we will arrive, planning meals/shopping etc. but the phone works as an alarm clock if we are in private accomodation.

I echo falcon's comments. My opinion is that fewer technological distractions allow for a more focused, meditative Camino experience. I took my iPhone but really didn't need it and wish I hadn't brought it because I'm a sucker for free wifi.

I saw some pretty horrendous tech-related behaviour during my Camino. I saw one pilgrim walking a very beautiful stretch of pristine forest, with his head buried in his laptop as he walked, his headphones on, and he was laughing at whatever he was watching. I saw countless others with their heads glued to their smartphones as they walked.

My first two Caminos were walked with a simple cell phone which I had on hand in case of emergency. About once a week I sent an e-mail to my family from an albergue computer to update them on my status but that was the extent of my contact. I enjoy being involved with this forum but I had no interest in being online while I walked. During my last two Caminos I took my iphone which doubled as a camera. Last year I didn't use the wifi function but this year rather than the occasional e-mail to family, I posted pictures to my facebook page about every 5 days. I was surprised by the availability of wifi this time around and admit that I was much more tempted to check my e-mails having the iphone with me...I'm not sure what I will do next time around.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
On all my caminos I carry a Nokia N82 smartphone or to be more accurate wear it on a lightweight strap around my neck since its primary use is as my camera. All my photos were taken with it and all my daily blog posts written on it before being emailed to Blogger. Each evening I check the news on line via WiFi and BBC; most importantly my husband and I text each other a brief account of our day across the the miles.

MM

Last edited:
Congratulations ! In 2006 I had no phone, no camera, no internet, just me and my backpack, perfect for me. I regret the camerapart, no photos to look at after my camino. Like someone said on this forum "if you don´t have a camera take photos with your eyes". The pictures from that camino is still in my head :)

Roger

I took my iPhone, which doubled as my camera. I did not have a data plan/travel package/Spanish SIM card(?) for my iPhone, so had no access to phone calls and texts. I depended solely on free wifi to send and receive emails (kept to a bare minimum, or completely non-existent, by pre-arrangement with friends and family). In order to keep some record of my Camino, I maintained a daily blog on my iPhone and, if the folks back home wanted to follow my progress, or to know if I was still alive, they were free to check my blog, the address to which I had given them before I left.

A downside to this plan was that sometimes two or three days went by without access to wifi and then I found myself hurrying to get a necessary email off, or my blog posted, while having a rest in a bar along the way, instead of focusing on just ‘being’ on the Camino – not a big bother, but still something I’d be aware of the next time. As LTfit above said, “I was much more tempted to check my e-mails having the iphone with me”. (The good thing about a blog, is that one can work on it at one’s leisure and then post it at the next available wifi location.)

My companion and I took our chances on not needing a phone for an emergency. When we found we needed to book ahead for accommodation, the hospitalero was always willing to oblige.

I guess it all boils down to how reachable you need, or want, to be.

Happy planning, Irène. It is such fun.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Do what you want to do. You will be blissfully out of touch and focused on the Camino. If you take a smartphone for emergencies, remember to get a Spanish SIM card when you arrive in country. That way your calls in Spain will be "local" calls, not overseas calls. A SIM card is not expensive and easy to switch out. But, hey, you really don't even need a watch. It's your Camino, do it your own way.

Do what you want to do. You will be blissfully out of touch and focused on the Camino. If you take a smartphone for emergencies, remember to get a Spanish SIM card when you arrive in country. That way your calls in Spain will be "local" calls, not overseas calls. A SIM card is not expensive and easy to switch out. But, hey, you really don't even need a watch. It's your Camino, do it your own way.

If you do take a GSM smartphone, make sure it is unlocked before you go on the Camino, this gives you the option of buying a Spanish SIM card if you want to.

I took my iPhone, which doubled as my camera. I did not have a data plan/travel package/Spanish SIM card(?) for my iPhone, so had no access to phone calls and texts. I depended solely on free wifi to send and receive emails (kept to a bare minimum, or completely non-existent, by pre-arrangement with friends and family). In order to keep some record of my Camino, I maintained a daily blog on my iPhone and, if the folks back home wanted to follow my progress, or to know if I was still alive, they were free to check my blog, the address to which I had given them before I left.

A downside to this plan was that sometimes two or three days went by without access to wifi and then I found myself hurrying to get a necessary email off, or my blog posted, while having a rest in a bar along the way, instead of focusing on just ‘being’ on the Camino – not a big bother, but still something I’d be aware of the next time. As LTfit above said, “I was much more tempted to check my e-mails having the iphone with me”. (The good thing about a blog, is that one can work on it at one’s leisure and then post it at the next available wifi location.)

My companion and I took our chances on not needing a phone for an emergency. When we found we needed to book ahead for accommodation, the hospitalero was always willing to oblige.

I guess it all boils down to how reachable you need, or want, to be.

Happy planning, Irène. It is such fun.
THX Charles. you gave me some blog ideas. Ed

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Congratulations ! In 2006 I had no phone, no camera, no internet, just me and my backpack, perfect for me. I regret the camerapart, no photos to look at after my camino. Like someone said on this forum "if you don´t have a camera take photos with your eyes". The pictures from that camino is still in my head :)

Roger

This reminds me of my 82 year old neighbour who lives alone and travels frequently, when I took her to the airport I asked her if she brought her camera, she said that she never takes pictures as she has no-one to show the photos to. It was so sad, but perfect for her. As part of our place in the society and family we like to share our adventures, our pilgrimage, a picture is truly worth a thousand words.

It wouldn't occur to me to not take my smartphone. I will walk next summer and my DH will be concerned if I don't check in at least once in a blue moon so he knows I'm still alive and kicking.
Also, I use the camera constantly and write down lots of thoughts and ideas on the notes app, I have many maps and guides, noteworthy info I come across...
It's an excellent capture device, and I probably won't take a guidebook, but add scanned info from various guides I've bought to supplement the maps, which I mostly keep on my device.

I always carry my iPhone when I hike or when on the Camino. It´s always in my pocket, you never know when an emergency may arouse.
Why use it for music when you have all the "music" around you?

Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I always carry my iPhone when I hike or when on the Camino. It´s always in my pocket, you never know when an emergency may arouse.
Why use it for music when you have all the "music" around you?

Buen Camino!
Ios7 was just released for iPhones and I wish I had not loaded it. My phone is a mess now. Drops off, contacts rearranged and more. I may not have an iPhone come May 2014 when I do my first Camino?? Android in my future perhaps.

I took my iPhone and was glad I did. I rarely used it on the trail. An occasional beautiful view I wanted to capture; never for music as I wanted to engage with fellow pilgrims. In the evenings, I would check email/FB quickly (if free Wifi) to update family and friends then back to socializing. I thought this was the best of both worlds...engaging with fellow pilgrims while keeping family updated.

Ios7 was just released for iPhones and I wish I had not loaded it. My phone is a mess now. Drops off, contacts rearranged and more. I may not have an iPhone come May 2014 when I do my first Camino?? Android in my future perhaps.

I´ve downloadedIOS7 the other day as well. I´m sorry to hear you´ve encountered problems. I muat be lucky I guess as I haven´t.Don´t worry they´ll release an update that will fix them bugs on yours in a couple of days.

Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I love the updates to the camera app on iOS 7. No problems here either.

When I walked in 2000 (Autumn-Frances) and 2001 (Summer-Norte/Frances/Finisterre), there was virtually no technology to be found on the Camino. I only occasionally saw a cell phone being charged at a refugio, and only a couple of times saw a peregrino walking and talking on a cell (which honestly always elicited much eye-rolling). No smartphones, IPads or IPods, no blogging or vlogging.

That was something I loved about the Camino. I was transported out of the "real world". We would wake up in the morning, and my little band of accumulated companions would say, "Hmmm, what should we do today?".... "Oh, I don't know, I guess maybe walk?"..... "OK, sounds good." Then we would walk. We'd stop at bars for breakfast and have long picnic lunches, soak our feet whenever possible. Laundry, shower, dinner and drinks, bed. Rinse, repeat...... There was an otherworldly rhythm to it all. And it made the experience of returning to the "real world" even more significant and eye-opening.

On occasion, rest days, I'd use a payphone/calling card or an internet cafe to check in and let my family know I was still alive. Even that felt a little like "cheating".

I find it interesting how many posts in this forum are made by people actually on the Camino as we speak. That is just way too "plugged-in" for my tastes.

I may go back in 2015 and walk the VdlP. I may, this time, have a cheap, throwaway phone with a Spanish SIM, turned off and in the bottom of my pack for emergency purposes only, and possibly some logistical booking pre/post Camino. My camera will be a little digital snapshot camera and friends & family will have to wait until I get home to see our pictures. And I'll send postcards home. Lots of postcards. You know, the kind that use stamps that your loved ones then magnet to their refrigerators.

I know it will be a challenge for me as well to not allow myself to be annoyed by all the (sometimes obsessive) technology use I'm more likely to be surrounded by on my next Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
And new challenges are always good for character building. Buen camino.
Yes, they can be. And I'm always looking for new ones.

But I hope that many may also consider taking up the challenge of "fasting" from technology while on the Camino. As an old-school peregrina, I can attest to the fact that survival is likely, even sans IPad or daily WiFi. And the experience can be quite cleansing and enlightening.

Last edited:
To me, as a recovering philosopher, it is interesting that the whole sense of 'unplugging' here seems to be found in actual human contact rather than 'online connectivity' with others, since most of us seem to be engaged--at the same time--in finding the absolute-est high-tech solutions to weight-saving advances obtainable, in order to reduce our pack weights, which is, of course, technology too. It's clear there is a fundamental dysfunction in our current way of life that has nothing to do with technology per se, and everything to do with the lack of genuine human contact in our 'normal' way of life. Electronic 'social' technologies may reduce the distance between us and our friends, but it certainly doesn't bring them 'near' us, and that, it seems, is what we all miss so terribly much in our lives.

the lack of genuine human contact in our 'normal' way of life.
But birth rates are up everywhere except in Japan. Is that a lack of genuine human contact?:)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
How do you know it's not all in-vitro?

And that's not the sole meaning of 'human contact'!

I'm bringing a smartphone with me, so that I can keep in touch with my husband via email. As a military wife, I've often been the one "left at home" - and trust me, six weeks can feel like a very, very long time. I think that we all have to do what seems best to us. For me - "disconnecting" means not checking up on twitter, reading blogs or posting on forums. But I don't particularly want to disconnect from my lifemate for a month and a half!

If you do take a GSM smartphone, make sure it is unlocked before you go on the Camino, this gives you the option of buying a Spanish SIM card if you want to.
Thanks, Bajaracer!
Yes, very good point. Check with your local phone store now to learn if you phone can be unlocked. I've heard that many U.S. phones cannot, although that may be changing. I don't know about other countries (I'm U.S. but live overseas and my S4 was unlocked, one of the factors in purchasing it). Unlocked means that the SIM card is switchable. Locked means that you can't put in a SIM card from another country. You want to think about this early on and plan accordingly.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I may, this time, have a ... phone with a Spanish SIM, turned off and in the bottom of my pack for emergency purposes only ...
I have read similar thoughts here many times and I always wonder about such a plan. When I read about the pilgrim who died in the Pyrenees last Spring, I wondered if his emergency phone was thus packed. It reminds me of people who buy those fancy seat-belt cutting tools to allow them to cut their way out of locked belts in an accident ... then pack it in their trunk (boot). In a real emergency, a phone in the bottom of your pack may well be quite useless.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked completely unplugged....on the Norte and the Frances....this past summer. It was intentional. I used internet cafes where possible to upload photos I took with my digital camera that was always around my neck. From time to time when walking with other peregrinos that I came to know and spend more time with I might ask to use their smartphones just for a quick message on FB for my kids and friends to know I was ok. My digital camera has a very long battery life thus I was not part of the endless array of cords jockeying for charging each night. I was in a beautiful, serene small albuquerque in San Bol where I witnessed a man having an altercation with our immensely patient hospitalero when the man found out there would not be electricity at night in order to charge his phone and talk to his wife. He picked up his stuff and stormed off. We remaining 4 women were immensely pleased to enjoy the absolute quiet and darkness. I found life without cell phone challenging only after leaving Arzua heading into the homestretch where other peregrinos were starting to book reservations in private albuerques. Otherwise I didn't miss it until I was traveling/touristing in France.

I walked the Norte this spring completely unplugged, I didn't even take a watch. About once a week I would check my email and post on Facebook when I encountered an alberge with computer and Internet access. It worked really well, and I enjoyed being truly "on the camino" rather than being in constant contact with others back home. I will definitely continue to walk unplugged on any future camino.

Of course it is your Camino. But, I pose the question wondering if one is truly a pilgrim if controlling emergencies or or our ideas of pain is part of the plan? We can be vacationers,walkers,travelers and the like and take the Camino but are we truly pilgrims trying to control so much with our technology? I don't know. With "emergency" technology we are squeezing out the possibility of miracles, I think . We trust in ourselves,each other and the Universe. What happens when we get lost with no phone? My experience is amazing wonders and meeting saints along the Way. What happens when we arrive tired and hungry to an Albergue and there are no beds. Well, we see who we are,angry,accepting? We see as well the goodness of others who may give up a bed, or help us find another. And, we find our deep strength to go on. I wish you miracles.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Although smart phones have probably become an epidemic of distraction for many of us I think unplugging has a different meaning for each of us. Being able to text my loved ones back home every once in a while just makes me feel good. Having the technology to take really nice pictures brings out the artist in me. My personal "unplugging" on the Camino del Norte might seem a bit odd. I'm a natural born navigator and I have to know the route, the direction, the distances. I alway bring good maps/charts/directions on my journeys so I know where I am at all times. It's an ego thing, I'm the master navigator. SO, for the Del Norte, I "unplugged", I deliberately avoided maps. I had an idea of where the Camino started on the coast of France but that was all. I actually stumbled onto a camino marker hidden in the grass just outside Saint-Jean-de-Luz and that's how my Camino began. Five days in, my wife (back at home) felt sorry for me, I think I was going through map withdrawal. She pulled up some small pictures from Gronze.com and TM'd them to me. Looking at my small iPhone screen in the rain and then up at the mountain in front of me was like trying to drink from a thimble but it helped.
The Camino is about making ourselves vulnerable to our environment and to one another. Letting go of those security blankets; the technologies, that umbrella, my sleeping pad opens us up to the spirt. What do you leave behind? It's up to you. Just listen to your heart, it's already made the decision on what you need to let go of.

CaminoPost1Sm.jpg

The Camino is about making ourselves vulnerable to our environment and to one another.
For some, perhaps, but for all???

Some people's lives are so dull they need to go on roller coasters. Now, a roller coaster has to be 100% safe or it couldn't get insurance, so it really is quite tame even with violent physical sensations. It is gainsay risk. Isn't insisting on making oneself vulnerable through leaving a cell phone home a bit of gainsay vulnerability? The next pilgrim probably has a phone. Emergency services are available all along the way. Your embassy can track you down if necessary. By being unplugged, you can become quite a burden on others, all for the sake of an artificial objective. I am not quite sure what the real objective is when someone suggests that someone else leave their technology at home. Aside from a bit of hubris, why talk someone out of it? Now, explain it to me like I'm a four-year-old. (apologies to "Philadelphia")

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Of course it is your Camino. But, I pose the question wondering if one is truly a pilgrim if controlling emergencies or or our ideas of pain is part of the plan? We can be vacationers,walkers,travelers and the like and take the Camino but are we truly pilgrims trying to control so much with our technology? I don't know. With "emergency" technology we are squeezing out the possibility of miracles, I think . We trust in ourselves,each other and the Universe. What happens when we get lost with no phone? My experience is amazing wonders and meeting saints along the Way. What happens when we arrive tired and hungry to an Albergue and there are no beds. Well, we see who we are,angry,accepting? We see as well the goodness of others who may give up a bed, or help us find another. And, we find our deep strength to go on. I wish you miracles.

Rosemary,

Very well said, our lives are indeed a balance, security vs faith, etc.
buen Camino

I walked completely unplugged....on the Norte and the Frances....this past summer. It was intentional. I used internet cafes where possible to upload photos I took with my digital camera that was always around my neck. From time to time when walking with other peregrinos that I came to know and spend more time with I might ask to use their smartphones just for a quick message on FB for my kids and friends to know I was ok. My digital camera has a very long battery life thus I was not part of the endless array of cords jockeying for charging each night. I was in a beautiful, serene small albuquerque in San Bol where I witnessed a man having an altercation with our immensely patient hospitalero when the man found out there would not be electricity at night in order to charge his phone and talk to his wife. He picked up his stuff and stormed off. We remaining 4 women were immensely pleased to enjoy the absolute quiet and darkness. I found life without cell phone challenging only after leaving Arzua heading into the homestretch where other peregrinos were starting to book reservations in private albuerques. Otherwise I didn't miss it until I was traveling/touristing in France.

Ivonna, thanks for all the help you give to me and blessings to you and yours.

Buen Camino

Some people's lives are so dull they need to go on roller coasters. Now, a roller coaster has to be 100% safe or it couldn't get insurance, so it really is quite tame even with violent physical sensations. It is gainsay risk. Isn't insisting on making oneself vulnerable through leaving a cell phone home a bit of gainsay vulnerability? The next pilgrim probably has a phone. Emergency services are available all along the way. Your embassy can track you down if necessary. By being unplugged, you can become quite a burden on others, all for the sake of an artificial objective. I am not quite sure what the real objective is when someone suggests that someone else leave their technology at home. Aside from a bit of hubris, why talk someone out of it? Now, explain it to me like I'm a four-year-old. (apologies to "Philadelphia")

I don't think anyone here is trying to talk anyone out of (or into) anything. It's all just food for thought. It's good for people (I include myself in that) to be challenged to examine their fears, motivations, priorites, needs/desires, perspectives...... I've been really motivated by a couple of posts in this thread to meditate on what is considered "technology" and how that differs from person to person. I may automatically dismiss smartphones and I-whatevers on my Camino, but I certainly have other "binkies" I should look more closely at.

What do we leave behind? What do we carry with us? And why? Those are big questions to ponder before undertaking a pilgrimage (and during, of course, also). More important, I think, than backpack capacity or one pole vs. two.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I don't think anyone here is trying to talk anyone out of (or into) anything. It's all just food for thought. It's good for people (I include myself in that) to be challenged to examine their fears, motivations, priorites, needs/desires, perspectives...... I've been really motivated by a couple of posts in this thread to meditate on what is considered "technology" and how that differs from person to person. I may automatically dismiss smartphones and I-whatevers on my Camino, but I certainly have other "binkies" I should look more closely at.

What do we leave behind? What do we carry with us? And why? Those are big questions to ponder before undertaking a pilgrimage (and during, of course, also). More important, I think, than backpack capacity or one pole vs. two.

Don't we ALL have our share of "binkies" LOL!

Well said.
I'm out on the camino right now and I'm rather fed up with the no-phone people as they first say they got no phone with them (sounding smug, as that is something that should be applauded) and later come and ask if I can use my iPhone and do x and y for them. Such as change their hotel room booking and check who won the football match yesterday (and I'm not joking). If you carry no phone, than deal with the consequences yourself.

Well said.
I'm out on the camino right now and I'm rather fed up with the no-phone people as they first say they got no phone with them (sounding smug, as that is something that should be applauded) and later come and ask if I can use my iPhone and do x and y for them. Such as change their hotel room booking and check who won the football match yesterday (and I'm not joking). If you carry no phone, than deal with the consequences yourself.
True.
And the same with pilgrims who do not carry a guide book - they want to look at my guide book all the time.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well said.

These are the Pilgrims that have the "I'll just use somebody's iPhone/guidebook or other things" mentality, if you can afford to pay for a flight across the pond, you can afford to buy a guidebook/phone/gear/gadgets.
If you need to make call, find a pay phone, (if you can even find one) but don't bother the ones that went to the trouble of bringing their smartphones, and getting them set up with data and voice service.
Modern Pilgrims are addicted to wifi on the Camino, every morning the second thing they ask for after ordering their cafe con leche is the wifi password, its the same thing in the afternoon when they check in at the albergue, but then they say they want to be unplugged......

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I wanted to take a pic of the lady, spectacularly dressed and with a tiny leather backpack, walking and texting for 15 minutes straight, on the way to Logroño yesterday amidst the gorgeous vineyards and olive groves. It just seemed funny at the time.
But, we are lying in our room, sick and coughing up green stuff, on a day off from walking, and both on our ipad minis. To each their own.
I immediately noticed people feeling like they had to apologize for bringing their phone or staying in a private room. One should do whatever is best for them and not feel like they have to justify it.

10/10 on the posts that observe the smugness of people being unplugged and then relying on the pluggedness of others.

I suspect centuries ago there were probably more people trying just to get to Santiago as quickly and easily as possible than there were looking for a meditative experience. Mediaeval Spain wasn't exactly the place it is now. People didn't go on horses or donkeys because they were looking for a new experience, everyone else walked because the had to rather than for the months of inward contemplation.

There was a time that a book written in anything but Latin was considered dangerous technology. To some, a compass or pocket sundial would have been the devil's work. I think we have a tendency to give our predecessors too much of our metaphysical values rather than the practicality which I'm pretty sure would have dictated their Camino. I'd bet cash money that if you showed a historical pilgrim a smart phone, assuming he didn't run off screaming, his reaction would probably be "I want one, this will make my life easier" rather than "I must switch it off, it is distracting my contemplation".

If you want to take something then take it. Phones come with an off button. The majority of anti posts seem more about how other people's use of them either distracted or disheartened them. But it's about you and what you need, what will make it more practical, safer, more enjoyable for you.

It's a personal trip. I took a smart phone twice and like any tool it can be used judiciously. It was my book in the evening, although many would argue reading stops you interacting, it got me un-lost in a few bigger towns, it was my boarding pass for Easyjet, it was my camera, it was my hotel booking service, my connection back to my family when I really needed it. Above all it was my safety net particularly on the Salvador. A sprained ankle isn't serious when the next pilgrim is 10 minutes behind.

And music? I remember spending a great hour with a couple trudging along on a grim day to the mediaeval pilgrim walking songs they had on an iPhone.

Like I said, they all come with an off button. If you carry it no-one makes you use it. Less people complain about someone carrying a pack of Marlboroughs than an iPhone. What's the difference?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-09-25 at 18.09.26.png
    Screen Shot 2013-09-25 at 18.09.26.png
    746.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Ok so I'm getting the message having read all your insightful posts- if you decide to go unplugged then DON'T be a moocher from those who bring one. Got it. I think my husband and I will go the unlocked simple phone, off in the backpack for emergencies and wear watches :) I did purchase two <25$ unlocked QWERTY phones from this site: super cheap, can hold up to 3 SIM's and work just fine. Buen Camino!

http://www.ahappydeal.com/qwerty-cell-phones-c-504.html

Check the maps - the phones I bought work everywhere in the world except Tailand I think it is and some other South American country.

I bring a little dumb phone that fits inside the leg pocket of my trousers so it's handy to access. I load up any contact numbers for accommodation etc I need before leaving home. Having your mobile/device inside pack is not the best place to have your it in an emergency as noted by previous poster.
On my first Camino I was one of those annoying (yep and sorry to say in my case slightly smug) people that didn't bring a camera on purpose- thought I'd be able to keep it all in my 'minds eye' as I have a good visual memory-but I was really amazed at just how much one forgets (especially on longer journeys of over 4 weeks or so) and just how many happy memories a simple image can retrieve-the very best kind of souvenir. At the end of that first journey I was just lucky that I was able to retrospectively share photos taken by my friend. .....so now I carry my own camera.
I love music but for some reason have found that the more I walk the less I listen 'en route' anyway but I still attend and really enjoy any/all sung services I come across.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Wearing headphones/earplugs is in my book a whole other story. Besides the fact that it doesn't appeal to me, I find someone walking/running/biking with either bordering on rude, besides being unsafe. I first thought that it might just be my age (57) but now I see it more as a conscious decision. I walked this summer for three weeks with a young Spanish woman of 27. At the end of the Camino she casually mentioned to me that during her Camino the previous year she often listened to music but that she had decided not do so while we walked together. I thought this quite considerate, especially since I never mentioned to her my aversion. We spent many quiet hours walking side by side but she chose the silence. This might sound smug but give it a try - a whole other world opens up!

Hola Lee.
I have to add that I am UNPLUGGED when I walk. I have learned how to walk alone even if the Camino is crowded. I walk and meditate most of the time when I walk. I don't listen to the music but hear the birds, the wind, the sounds of water etc. Best time for meditation is early in the morning.
It is lovely to spend many quiet hours walking beside a good walking companion - makes a day and a Camino very special.
But it is great to get online in the evenings, share pictures and thoughts with family and friends!
And I take lots of pictures...

Last edited:
Hi Annie,
No judgement intended although my post did sound that way, I'll admit. As you write, walking is a wonderful opportunity to meditate! People have different needs and I understand that going unplugged (or semi) is not for everyone. Personally I find it harder to have it and not use it than not have it at all!
Un abrazo

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There's a strong generational aspect to the issue of technology. We are now seeing an emerging generation of Camino pilgrims who were born into the Internet era. For them, trying to talk about a Camino (or life) without a smartphone or iPad is speaking an incomprehensible alien language.

I'm old enough to remember life without Internet and miraculous and harrowing as this may sound to some of you, I did lots of travel and backpacking with zero mobile communication and little more than an old school compass back in the day, and survived to tell about it! That's why I knew I didn't really need it for my Camino, although I did bring my iPhone for primarily camera purposes.

I'm not anti-technology, but I do think too much of anything is simply too much. I felt sorry for the pilgrims I saw walking while their heads were buried in their technology, seeming to miss the whole point of being on this wonderful trek. And at the albergue or hostal or bar, the biggest preoccupation of some seemed to be recharging their device so they can stay on line the better part of the day and evening, to the exclusion of all other fellow beings.

For me, Internet/mobile communication has always been paradoxical. It brings the global community together like never before, but the physical act of using the technology is necessarily a solitary act; one needs isolate oneself behind a machine in order to achieve that global community. We lose key social connections and cues (body language, eye contact, the art of conversation) via this mode of communication, especially if it becomes a dependency.

LTfit said:
Besides the fact that it doesn't appeal to me, I find someone walking/running/biking with either bordering on rude, besides being unsafe.

A lot of race (marathons, triathlons, etc) organisers in the UK have banned earphones on safety grounds. It causes almost as much arguing :)

Wearing headphones/earplugs is in my book a whole other story. Besides the fact that it doesn't appeal to me, I find someone walking/running/biking with either bordering on rude, besides being unsafe. I first thought that it might just be my age (57) but now I see it more as a conscious decision. I walked this summer for three weeks with a young Spanish woman of 27. At the end of the Camino she casually mentioned to me that during her Camino the previous year she often listened to music but that she had decided not do so while we walked together. I thought this quite considerate, especially since I never mentioned to her my aversion. We spent many quiet hours walking side by side but she chose the silence. This might sound smug but give it a try - a whole other world opens up!

As the song goes - Silence Is Golden :)

Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There's a strong generational aspect to the issue of technology. We are now seeing an emerging generation of Camino pilgrims who were born into the Internet era. For them, trying to talk about a Camino (or life) without a smartphone or iPad is speaking an incomprehensible alien language.

I'm old enough to remember life without Internet and miraculous and harrowing as this may sound to some of you, I did lots of travel and backpacking with zero mobile communication and little more than an old school compass back in the day, and survived to tell about it! That's why I knew I didn't really need it for my Camino, although I did bring my iPhone for primarily camera purposes.

I'm not anti-technology, but I do think too much of anything is simply too much. I felt sorry for the pilgrims I saw walking while their heads were buried in their technology, seeming to miss the whole point of being on this wonderful trek. And at the albergue or hostal or bar, the biggest preoccupation of some seemed to be recharging their device so they can stay on line the better part of the day and evening, to the exclusion of all other fellow beings.

For me, Internet/mobile communication has always been paradoxical. It brings the global community together like never before, but the physical act of using the technology is necessarily a solitary act; one needs isolate oneself behind a machine in order to achieve that global community. We lose key social connections and cues (body language, eye contact, the art of conversation) via this mode of communication, especially if it becomes a dependency.

Very well said! I'm of that generation as well. I still do plenty of backcountry hiking where, even in 2013, there are no signals and no point in lugging a phone along anyway. Left to my own devices (pun intended), and I have so far survived to tell the stories. And I walked my first Caminos way back when "unplugged" was the norm.

A few more thoughts.....

There are varying degrees of unpluggedness (yes, I declare that to now be a word ;)).
Different people will define that in their own ways.
But I think the point of this thread, at its best, is to motivate us to each examine what we believe/feel/think/fear is "necessary".
I don't believe it is all that controversial (or smug) to discuss how technology can separate us from each other and interfere with our experience of the Now.

Personally - I believe it is a good idea, given that it is such a cheap & easy option these days, to bring a small "throwaway" phone along - turned off, but accessible - for emergency purposes. I always carry a small digital snapshot camera so my beloved and I can bore our loved ones to pieces with long, drawn-out "slide shows" when we return. I'm sure we will also occasionally use an internet cafe to check in with said loved ones, though I expect we'll get a Camino specific new email so I won't be tempted to look at other accounts.

I know I won't text, "soundtrack" my walk with music/headphones, blog every step, read any forums, instagram any meals, facebook my every location, or tweet my every thought. :D

None of that is much challenge for me, since I'm not attached to that stuff (or do it at all) in real life. My "binkie" however, is that I'm a news/politics junkie. So eschewing newpapers, TV(in bars) and web news sites when I'm emailing home will be my particular test.
A Camino focus on connection with others sans tech also gently prods my natural introversion.

Isn't the Camino a perfect opportunity to examine these things about ourselves? It's so difficult in the "real world" to function unplugged. The Camino gives us an opportunity to "fast" (in ways that are individually meaningful) and challenge ourselves in uncomfortable but profound ways. And it gives us the opportunity to connect in ways that are becoming increasingly foreign to our 21st century sensibilities.

Finally, however one decides to Walk, a certain amount of humility is a virtue. I haven't noticed any smugness on the part of anyone in this thread who is advocating unplugging. It would not, in my humble opinion, be keeping with the spirit of the Camino to be smug or mooch-y or judgmental or hypocritical about anything, including other people's tech use, that does not directly interfere with your own experience and safety.

But, can I suggest that perhaps it is also not in the spirit of the Camino to label people as "smug" and "moochers"? To basically say that people who didn't bring a phone (or guidebook) are just out of luck and need to find a pay phone or deal with it and take care of themselves..... well, it all just sounds kinda mean-spirited. I mean, sure, it is your right to leave that smug, mooching peregrino in distress by the side of the road. Sure, it's their own fault that they didn't come prepared. Maybe they'll learn a lesson, eh? So, good for you. You are now the righteous one. Yay.

Sports scores? Yeah, that's pretty silly (and kinda funny). But that amusing anecdote aside, doesn't the Camino provide for us in countless, unexpected, inexplicable and lasting ways? Isn't, perhaps, a generous spirit - even for those that don't "deserve" it - something that gets "paid back" (or forward)?

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
Hello all. Here to give a brief account of my (and many others) first day on the Camino on May 1. The trip to Roncesvalles was tough. I went Valcarlos route because napoleon was very ill advised...
Or do you prefer Cromwell's attitude? Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry. I am starting to get tired of the attitude that it isn't necessary to take reasonable care and thought...
I struggle with social anxiety and I was wandering if anybody with the same issue had a positive experience on the Camino walking alone. I saw lots of posts and videos people talking about forming...
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?
Hello, I have reserved a night in an Albergue and the confirmation says Fecha de entrada: 2024-06-05. In the UK we would write this as 05-06-2024, is that what this means, 5th June 2024, I am...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.