• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Up Date on My Last Thread

Urban trekker1

Urban Trekker1
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Ingles (May 2013)

Caminho Portuguese (May 2014)
Camino Frances (May 2015)
:rolleyes:I'm thinking, fly into Lisbon, spend 2 days. Train to Santarem, spend 2 days, train to Coimbra, spend 2 days, start walking Caminho from Coimbra to Santiago. Total time front door to front door, 30 days. Good Plan?:)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Instead of Santarem, Fatima would be a good choice.

Instead of Santarem, Fatima would be a good choice.
.... but only if you're really into Fatima/Roman Catholic tradition. I went there last May and was very disappointed at the commercialization - and the bizarre crucifix ....
My Diary [Pilgrimage III] on the web site tells exactly where I trained and bused - due to bad feet. But it was a wonderful experience, and Pilgrimage IV is under preparation :)
Don't forget that if you're over 65 years old, you get a substantial discount on train fares, but will need to produce your passport as proof of age.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Stephen,
Concerning the discount on trains. Do I just announce my (advancing) age and show the passport? Do I need a card? Is there another "something" that I have to do to get the discount?

I agree that there's not much to keep you in Santarem for two days. I know that people have religious reasons for going to Fatima, but for many who don't, it is a bizarre place just as Stephen described. Personally, I would visit Tomar instead. Very nice small town, monastery up on the hill is a Templar monastery and has the best manueline window in Portugal (if anyone cares about that, ;)).

I know that in Spain to get the old folks discount, you need to purchase a card. I have one, it costs about 5 euros and is good for one year. You need your passport to buy it. In Portugal, I'm not sure, but the discount may just be given with proof of age. Stephen will be able to help us out on this one, I'm sure.

I agree that there's not much to keep you in Santarem for two days. I know that people have religious reasons for going to Fatima, but for many who don't, it is a bizarre place just as Stephen described. Personally, I would visit Tomar instead. Very nice small town, monastery up on the hill is a Templar monastery and has the best manueline window in Portugal (if anyone cares about that, ;)).

I know that in Spain to get the old folks discount, you need to purchase a card. I have one, it costs about 5 euros and is good for one year. You need your passport to buy it. In Portugal, I'm not sure, but the discount may just be given with proof of age. Stephen will be able to help us out on this one, I'm sure.
I just turned 64 so I'll be out of luck on the senior discount. Thanks for the heads up on the Templar Monastery though. Castles, ancient ruins, old cities, these are things that have been on my bucket list since I was a child. When I went to my first Mayan ruin you could hear me purr!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I just turned 64 so I'll be out of luck on the senior discount. Thanks for the heads up on the Templar Monastery though. Castles, ancient ruins, old cities, these are things that have been on my bucket list since I was a child. When I went to my first Mayan ruin you could hear me purr!

In Spain the discount kicks in at 60, don't know about Portugal!

In Spain the discount kicks in at 60, don't know about Portugal!
I was unaware of that. In fact the last time I was there I was told that senior discounts didn't start until 65. I'll be sure to ask for them next time. The discount card you mentioned, where does one acquire one.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, Urban trekker,

They are called that "Tarjeta Dorada" and here's some information on how you get them. I just got mine at the RENFE ticket counter right before I bought my ticket: http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/me...os/avant/descuentos_avant_tarjeta_dorada.html
That's going to be a problem. Every time I went to a RENFE counter, no one spoke English and I can barely find a bathroom with my Mexican Spanish. Just checked the site used trains on several occasions last May. Card would have been very useful Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:
That is a very good plan, but I would pass Santarém and instead, take the train until Tomar. It's preferable, and it has many more things for you to see.

I think that for Lisbon, if you just stay 2 days (counting with the night of your arrival) it will not be enough :p

Coimbra also worth’s the trip, trust me. Don't forget to visit the Biblioteca Joanina (Joanina Library), to see one of the best book collections in the world (they even have books covered in gold!).

About the train… The 50% discount it's only valid for people over 65 years old. So sorry mate, no can do. They have now a special campaign that if you buy your ticket untills 5 days before your trip, they will make a 40% discount! You can check prices, schedules and other information’s in here: cp.pt

If you need something in Lisbon, just ask ok?

Best Regards
Diogo

That is a very good plan, but I would pass Santarém and instead, take the train until Tomar. It's preferable, and it has many more things for you to see.

I think that for Lisbon, if you just stay 2 days (counting with the night of your arrival) it will not be enough :p

Coimbra also worth’s the trip, trust me. Don't forget to visit the Biblioteca Joanina (Joanina Library), to see one of the best book collections in the world (they even have books covered in gold!).

About the train… The 50% discount it's only valid for people over 65 years old. So sorry mate, no can do. They have now a special campaign that if you buy your ticket untills 5 days before your trip, they will make a 40% discount! You can check prices, schedules and other information’s in here: cp.pt

Best Regards
Diogo

Thanks, Diogo, for the heads up on when the "old age" discount kicks in in Portugal. I guess the Portuguese authorities view me as still young at 63, while the Spaniards think I'm over the hill.

And a few other scattered things -- absolutely, if you can, plan to spend at least two full days in Lisbon. Three is really the minimum, IMO, for getting a basic touristic view of the city, but I know that we're pilgrims first and tourists second. :) But Lisbon is an absolutely wonderful place.

Buen camino, Laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Best Regards
Diogo
If you live in or near Lisbon or along the Caminho, let me buy you lunch or dinner or a beer. Your incites and information have been very useful. Tony

Last edited:
Thanks, Diogo, for the heads up on when the "old age" discount kicks in in Portugal. I guess the Portuguese authorities view me as still young at 63, while the Spaniards think I'm over the hill.

And a few other scattered things -- absolutely, if you can, plan to spend at least two full days in Lisbon. Three is really the minimum, IMO, for getting a basic touristic view of the city, but I know that we're pilgrims first and tourists second. :) But Lisbon is an absolutely wonderful place.

Buen camino, Laurie
LOL:) You're not over the hill until they bury you in it!:( For me it's about the walk, the sights, and the places, and the people.;) If I can get a financial break, all the better. Hope to see you some day on the Camino.

@Urban trekker1 , it's just contact with each other and see if I'm avaliable. I work in Lisbon, and live near the Caminho route. The only thing is, since you are going in May, it really depend of the time, because I will also do my second Caminho next May :p I just don't know the dates yet.

Best Regards
Diogo

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Urban trekker1 , it's just contact with each other and see if I'm avaliable. I work in Lisbon, and live near the Caminho route. The only thing is, since you are going in May, it really depend of the time, because I will also do my second Caminho next May :p I just don't know the dates yet.

Best Regards
Diogo
If you're inclined, keep me informed. I'm retired ;) and my dates are flexible. Obrigato :)

Ut1 - I suggest you review the stages you plan to walk. The caminho between Santarem and Tomar is quite nice. The section between Tomar and Coimbra is lovely and should not be missed! After Mealhada, Brierley calculates that the next 3 stages are more than 80% roads. The final 30k from Sao Joao is more than 90% roads or pavements - and really not very inspiring. The only saving feature is arriving in Porto, suddenly high up by the metro station and in a wide busy avenue, thence taking the long stroll down to the famous bridge.

I just ordered Brierleys guide to the Caminho Portuguese. Will firm out my route using that and the feed back I have received from so many peregrinos.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back