• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Last 100 km

JKR

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023
UPDATE:
I did finally receive a response from the Cathedral-
Desde Porriño hay 101 kms, con lo que no hay ningún problema para recibir la Compostela.

As noted below- if you are taking the Central Route - you can start in TUI because its a nice place to start but you do not have to add the extra miles if you don't have time.

#############################################################################

Original Post:

My apologies for a question that must have been asked many times (but I cannot find just one answer).

A friend and I have plans to start in Tui for a short Camino. She pointed out that it looks like we can actually start in O’Porrino and qualify for the Compestela. Right now, thousands of miles and two months away, neither of us cares too much about getting it, but we might once we are there.

So how to I verify we can actually start in O‘Porrino versus Tui in order to receive it? I emailed the Pilgrims office in Santiago in December but did not receive an answer.

thank you

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That is correct. Tui is 117 km from Santiago and O Porriño (no apostrophe) is the 100 km mark. People tend to start from Tui because it is more convenient. You may have to do some convincing for your compostela but you will be within your rights. Buen camino.
Somehow having to convince people in a Cathedral sounds unpleasant. Is there a 100km marker we can stand by in a photo?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Somehow having to convince people in a Cathedral sounds unpleasant. Is there a 100km marker we can stand by in a photo?
Not a bad idea! But you obtain your compostela from the pilgrims' office, staffed by volunteers, not the cathedral. I was just kidding. I'm sure you won't have a problem.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you plan to walk the Variante Espiritual (which I and many others recommend) you have to start in Tui or earlier (or Vigo or earlier if coming from the coastal) to receive the Compostela, as there’s a boat component of the VE.

If you plan to walk the Variante Espiritual (which I and many others recommend) you have to start in Tui or earlier (or Vigo or earlier if coming from the coastal) to receive the Compostela, as there’s a boat component of the VE.
Just started planning my coastalk walk this afternoon and this exact question came to mind. Didn't expect to get an answer within seconds as soon as I logged in. Thank you!!

Just found this…so looks like O Porrino is ok to start rather than Tui. Thank you folks for being nonjudgmental. My friend only has minimum time. 08DE097C-0003-4011-BC2E-89FB079F7077.png

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
See photo I posted. Is there a reason you say Tui and not O Porrino?

Because I was referring to taking the Variante Espiritual alternative route which has a boat component and therefore requires starting further away to complete 100km on foot.

Hi.Starting my walk from Vigo to SDC and will be taking the Variannte Espiritual by boat, would we qualify for the Compostela certificate?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just 2 cents, having walked that route: Tui is a lovely city, the old town is super charming and the cathedral is gorgeous. Food was quite good as well.

Porrino is an industrial town and, imho, lacked character. I would not recommend starting there.
Because of 17km, which is kinda only one day of walking, I'd say start in Tui, for sure. If the walk in the first day starts getting too difficut, take a taxi to Porrino and continue from there - you would still qualify.

But hey, do whatever works for you, your friend and your schedule. The important thing is to be on Camino :)

Most read last week in this forum

I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back