• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

LIVE from the Camino Update 7 April 2015 -- Walking with Worms & Snakes -- Saw A Full Moon

Grogan

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis (April 2015)
Hey All -- am going to get caught up on the updates today -- I will try to keep them short -- not sure if I am violating a Forum policy by adding to much -- let me know if they are too long -- thanks all --

7 April 2015 Ganon to Villafranco -- 28.3 kms -- Weather Perfect (again)

Started out early -- cool morning -- missed a turn -- had to backtrack, fortunately not far but did go uphill and then back down hill -- 16.5 kms in a little under 4 hours -- so pace was good -- Stopped in Belorado -- for lunch -- a slice of pizza, a beer, and a chance to charge up the Ipod for the finally push of the day -- another 11.5 to get to Villafranco -- next town after that is 12.5 kms away -- so no way I can get that far plus no place to stay.

Todays route was a lot of long dirt roads, surrounded by flat fields and unfortunately a lot of these routes paralleled the main road -- the loud trucks drowned out my Ipod -- yep -- another book, but not a Zombie book -- bummer -- but it keeps me going.

After I left Belorado, there were four towns until I got to my objective of the day (Villafranco) -- I figured at town number two I would take a break -- somewhere in my backpack I had an orange and thought that would be a great pick me up to get me to the end. Actually I thought a beer and an orange would be perfect, but when I got to the town of Vilambistia -- no cafe (that I could find). It did have a really cool courtyard like place to drop the pack, take off the boots and lay back and listen to my Ipod - oh - and eat my orange.

So I'm listening to my Ipod minding my own business and glance over to the park area where two gals are at and what do I see -- a Full Moon -- Yep -- a very interesting Full Moon -- I guess when you got to go you got to go -- I did not stare nor did I blush, but internal voice was laughing pretty hard. I wonder if this is part of the Camino Magic (sorry could not resist that one).

Arriving in Villafranco, I was actually feeling pretty good -- once again had no idea where I was going to stay and to tell you the truth I was pretty much socialized out from my last stay, so was hoping NOT to stay in the 10 euro Albergue -- As I entered town I stopped to look at one of the signs for a Pension -- a young gal walks by and ask if I am looking for a room -- and I said yes, but would like a single room -- she squared me away -- 20 euros, my own room, a shower and kitchen facility (no internet, but the cafe next door has internet and she gave me the password) -- overall perfect. Went to the local store, got some breakfast supplies and am looking forward to a great night's sleep. The name of the Pension was El Pagaro.

On today's hike I noticed for the first time a bunch of worms working their way across the gravel roads, searching for the sanctuary of the soft grass and dirt -- I mean these worms were like ideal fishing worms -- huge -- but I got the feeling these guys were a little slow -- sun coming up, speed of movement -- well, wormlike -- so watching these worms try to work their way to safety, I just had to acknowledge that they were destine to be worm jerky -- no way were they going to beat the Big Heat Tab in the Sky.

Walking along the dusty road, what do I see -- a snake -- not very big - but he was a bit upset that I stopped his movement (wanted a picture) -- first snake I have seen in years -- little guy, but had no clue what type, so did not mess with it (too much : ) ). A little bit later found another snake -- but looks like his luck ran out -- no head and too dried up to eat.

So tomorrow we will see where we end up -- If I push 36 km I can be back on track -- will just have to see how the dogs hold out - right arch is still sore-- taping it up helps out a lot -- so we will see.

Distance travel so far -- 250.6 km -- 155.7 miles -- Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I come from a country with no snakes and very few icky spiders and nasties. So I went to live in the country with the most noxious dangerous beasties probably in the world (Australia). Mind you, I rarely see them except for the odd big monitor or skink walking through my backyard.
I also visited a country (Suriname) many years ago and had to stop off in Miami to get my visa. I went to the local Natural History Museum and every huge snake and dangerous animal came from...Suriname. I was so jumpy about long grass in my first week!
But some of these Spanish beasties have reminded me to include antihistamines in the first aid kit.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum