• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking at 4 am. Under a full moon?

Icacos

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2013)
On another thread people are wondering why anyone would want to start walking at 4 am. I would want to start walking at 4 am, or earlier, if there were a full moon.

Here is a picture taken during a full moon in Yukon February 2022 around 4 am. At -35° it was magic.

My dream is to walk on the meseta during a full moon. Does anyone have pictures taken during a full moon … anywhere on the camino?
B95B5A98-351C-44B3-9D18-78273E88EAB7.jpeg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I just have to wonder how your albergue mates feel about you getting up and around at 4 am.
Hopefully, you're packed up the night before and don't do any rattling.

The one time I left in the dark (from Zubiri) I got lost and had to backtrack. That was years ago and the trail wasn't as well marked, but it taught me a lesson. I always wait now until at least daybreak.

Beautiful photo, btw.

My dream is to walk on the meseta during a full moon.
I think that the perfect place on the Meseta to walk under a full (or nearly full) moon would be the 17 km between Carrión de los Condes and Calzadilla de la Cueza. Straight and flat and no worries about taking a wrong turn.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I love starting in the dark in the morning and watching the sun come up on the Camino. Attached are 2017,2018, 2019 and 2023 Camino photos taken in the AM dark. The only time I was moving before 5am was this last September when the guy I was walking with had insomnia and I found him standing over me dressed at 430am. After I nearly killed him for that we had a nice walk into Burgos…

B8BC4DFC-1C7D-40C7-A7CB-8EA7E109E423.jpeg

E82C4435-7412-451B-830A-E34D66CD9406.jpegAB9A3FE0-6AA4-4E5B-8423-59FE93B585FB.jpeg686354DE-6B4E-4B2E-834C-CAA707490674.png577C04ED-5B86-4D6E-8080-AEA8D93AF86A.jpeg

934C0080-A87E-4BD5-AF7F-5D4AB8F37F59.jpeg7EFCDF56-D54C-4FA3-A286-C690C08E623F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Years past ie 2008, 2009, 2010 I always enjoyed leaving the then small albergue in Roncesvalles walking alone in pre-dawn winter starlight. The camino paralleled the N135 road but passed through a wood and crossed a stream. Therefore I walked the left side verge of the road wearing reflective tape on my boots while carrying a small flashlight/headlight so traffic could see me and I could see my feet.

I would stop for breakfast in Burguete at the Bar Fronton, calle Zubiarte, 13. Open early every morning and very pilgrim friendly it was easy to find at the back of the plaza next to the only church. During breakfast dawn would break and I would then continue following the frozen camino path.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just saying, I was camping last month in Moab and the full moon kept me awake...
And it was beautiful, wasn’t it? 😊

In 2013 when I was on camino, we were in Mazarife when I realized the moon was full, but it was pouring rain. I’m tempted now to check out the full moons for next year and plan accordingly. A full moon spans a few days, I believe, as the moon waxes and wanes, peaking on one night.

I think that the perfect place on the Meseta to walk under a full (or nearly full) moon would be the 17 km between Carrión de los Condes and Calzadilla de la Cueza. Straight and flat and no worries about taking a wrong turn.
trecile,
This would be a very special stretch at night. Check this earlier post and tap the photo to see CdlC by a winter moon.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've done a night Camino on the meseta. Basically agreed with some of the Camino Family to sleep very early evening and leave at 10pm so we 'closed' our dorm room and slept till then. It was beautiful, cold and very different after getting away from the said Family. The most amazing thing was all the shooting stars we saw. However, the downside was that the next day was very tiring and not enjoyable hanging around until an albergue opened at 12. Also, it took about 3 days more to get back to normal sleep patterns.

I love full moons, but also enjoy gazing at black skies that are peppered with infinite stars with no moon. I find opportunities to enjoy them both, but personally have no desire to get up too early to walk in a full moon, nor stay out late to see a plethora of stars when I am walking the Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I did it on the Chemin Mont Saint Michel leaving Granville in a heatwave - left about 4am with a full moon, it was quite magical! But as I was the only pilgrim staying that night I didn't disturb anyone leaving. But then had to wait for a long time for hostel in Genets to open at 5pm, and nothing was open in the village during the afternoon.,
Then 2 days later leaving Mont St Michel itself heading on the Voie des Capitales to Santiago I left in the dark, and was on the mainland as the dawn began with lovely pink colours, but too overcast for the moon.
But a torch and hi-vis gear are necessary!

On another thread people are wondering why anyone would want to start walking at 4 am. I would want to start walking at 4 am, or earlier, if there were a full moon.

Here is a picture taken during a full moon in Yukon February 2022 around 4 am. At -35° it was magic.

My dream is to walk on the meseta during a full moon. Does anyone have pictures taken during a full moon … anywhere on the camino?
View attachment 144919
I did the opposite. I walked on a New Moon on a clear night. The sight of the Milkyway was breathtaking! There was no light interference from anywhere. I will never forget how blessed I felt.

If I were to do it I'd book into a private room where I could get to sleep early and leave early without bothering anyone.
Absolutely agree; when there is a will - there is a way. Get into a private room (and to make it "even better" with a private WC) , take care of absolutely everything previous night and just slip out as quietly as possible
What may that accommodation cost you? perhaps 20-30 € extra from the price-du-jour of one bunk? At the most? I'd pay it for the experience!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

View attachment 144919
Everything gets magical at -35° 😎❄️ ... where I live anything below -30 means usually perfectly clear skies so a full moon is really bright.

I walked the Meseta before sunrise, but it was slightly overcast and hence rather dark. So I took no photo ;-) Still I loved it!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The only picture of a full moon on the Camino from me is in my head. It was mid August, 2016 and after my first day climbing the Napoleon Route, i was exhausted and staying at Orisson. At 3 AM, my bladder woke me up and wanted attention. I had a bunk close to the W/C , the door and especially a large, open window. Coming back to bed, I paused and took a look out across the valley to the eastern ridgeline, and a full moon rising. At that moment, my senses were barraged with the smell of a million Summer flowers wafting up from the valley below. Intermingled with this was the sound of sheep bleating ahead of their bells around their necks, telling the shepherd where they were.

No camera could even approach accurately recording that moment...but I will never forget it.

Last edited:
I love full moons, but also enjoy gazing at black skies that are peppered with infinite stars with no moon. I find opportunities to enjoy them both …
I remember seeing a sky like that as a teenager when a group of us stopped on a lonely road on the blackest of nights far removed from any artificial light. It was magical. I’d really like to see such a sky again. What a treat it would be if it were also on the meseta.

Obviously, I live in the city. I also don’t own a car (by choice) so it is not that easy to get away from artificial light. Still, as @CWBuff says above, ‘when there’s a will - there’s a way.’ 😊

We live near many dark sky designated places and some with dark sky that are just wild places undesignated. Such as is the nature of Wyoming where I can be in the mountains in less than 25 minutes. Dark skies are amazing, but I usually only see them when I am headed to the outhouse in the middle of the night while camping. It isn't that special to me on the Camino for that reason.

We live near many dark sky designated places and some with dark sky that are just wild places undesignated. Such as is the nature of Wyoming where I can be in the mountains in less than 25 minutes. Dark skies are amazing, but I usually only see them when I am headed to the outhouse in the middle of the night while camping. It isn't that special to me on the Camino for that reason.
Same here .. but I still love it when I leave the house and look up :cool:

In keeping with @J Willhaus ’s post above, look what I just found,

No such ‘designated’ place in BC, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they all involve camping.

BTW @J Willhaus, what do you call camping? In a tent, or a camper van? Two very different things to me.

View attachment 144919
This has always been my dream too - as others have said, I’d want to time it for the Carrion de Los Condes to Calzadilla stretch, and start from a private room
The closest I’ve come was in Late October 2018 when I accidentally tumbled out of the private albergue in O Cebreiro just before 6sm and realised the sky was clear and the moon full. That walk off the mountain was truly magical and no headlight was necessary. I’d do it again in a heartbeat.

This has always been my dream too - as others have said, I’d want to time it for the Carrion de Los Condes to Calzadilla stretch, and start from a private room
The closest I’ve come was in Late October 2018 when I accidentally tumbled out of the private albergue in O Cebreiro just before 6sm and realised the sky was clear and the moon full. That walk off the mountain was truly magical and no headlight was necessary. I’d do it again in a heartbeat.
♥️♥️♥️

In keeping with @J Willhaus ’s post above, look what I just found,

No such ‘designated’ place in BC, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they all involve camping.

BTW @J Willhaus, what do you call camping? In a tent, or a camper van? Two very different things to me.
In the bygone days several years ago, it was always back country hiking in Idaho, Washington, Wyoming, Montana with backpacking tents. Then as my husband grew older, had some bad falls, and a few subsequent surgeries, we moved to camping in a van and now we have a new tiny camper that works for dispersed camping or established campgrounds. I do the upper bunks in albergues instead of him (despite my fear of heights) as a result of the decline in mobility. Still easy to get away from the crowds here where I live though even in established National Forest and BLM campgrounds.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The only picture of a full moon on the Camino from me is in my head. It was mid August, 2016 .....Coming back to bed a paused and took a look out across the valley to the eastern ridgeline, and a full moon rising. At that moment, my senses were barraged with the smell of a million Summer flowers wafting up from the valley below. Intermingled with this was the sound of sheep bleating ahead of their bells around their necks, telling the shepherd where they were.

No camera could even approach accurately recording that moment...but I will never forget it.
MEH,
Indeed. Some moments must simply be remembered in our hearts.

One of the delights of the albergue at Eunate on the Camino Argones, now unfortunately closed, was falling asleep on a mat in the small dark dorm while regarding above on the ceiling a phosphorescent band of stars, the Milky Way, leading westward...Magic.

I remember when I started way before sunrise and ran into a small group of pilgrims just before O Cebreiro. I am able to move very quietly in very low light even without a torch. I guess my distant past as German army reconnaissance helps a bit here 😆 So they did not realise I was just an arm's length behind them and I silently walked with them for quite a while.
After a while I realised I got myself into an awkward situation as I could not open conversation as else they might get too much of a shock when realising a stranger was among them. So I remained quiet.

Until one of them turned around and screamed in shock when he was staring into my face 🙈

Well, we all had a good laugh later ...

At 3 AM, my bladder woke me up and wanted attention.
Coming back to bed a paused and took a look out across the valley to the eastern ridgeline, and a full moon rising. At that moment, my senses were barraged with the smell of a million Summer flowers wafting up from the valley below.

1. Naw... it was THE MOON!!!! just used the bladder as 'the communicating vessel'. Camino provides magic and you know all that!

2. Its Cosmo's Moon

The stuff dreams are made of !

View attachment 144919

There is a search box in the right upper corner of this forum.
Insert meseta full moon or night walking and you will find various threads.
Like this one for instance:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...gareth-on-camino-at-moment.68296/#post-867118

It has been done before and pictures were taken.

My most magic night sky experience was when I was standing on the old clapper bridge in Postbridge, Dartmoor, England. You could see the Milky Way even after all those pints of bitter. And then there came a fireball, extremely close that you could see the actual flames. First I thought of a plane crashing actually. The next day I immediately started searching the area where I thought it came down. But to no avail – Dartmoor is such a vast landscape.

I don't have a photo of it, but.. last september sometime as I walked there was a really bright moon that was so bright, in the dark i was holding my hand up to cover it as it was messing with my night vision.

good times finding fellow perregrinos lost in the dark literally standing on a big arrow of stones heading to Burgos !!

View attachment 144919
I've only been in Yukon once and in the summer--that included a road trip up the Dempster to almost 100 km from the NWT, and a rafting trip into Kluane National Park--and never ever saw the full moon then! Your photo is gorgeous! I'd love to go back.

Last edited:
I love full moons, but also enjoy gazing at black skies that are peppered with infinite stars with no moon.

I remember seeing a sky like that as a teenager when a group of us stopped on a lonely road on the blackest of nights far removed from any artificial light. It was magical. I’d really like to see such a sky again. What a treat it would be if it were also on the meseta.

In the fall of 2020 we took a long-weekend trip to Wellsboro PA. only 3.5 hours drive from our home, one of few places that was open with proper precautions of the time and with 2 specific itineraries in mind
one was to do some hiking on the part of the so-called "Grand Canyon of PA" - my pre-Camino training (I was still hoping for May 21 at this point)

The other one was to visit Cherry Springs State Park - one of the few so-called "Dark Sky Parks". Jupiter and Mars were suppose to be easily seen that weekend so we were quite exited.
Good 45 mins drive on dark and winding roads... and when we came to the place - it was lit up as a Theater on the Opening Night of some much-anticipated play. Yup - you guessed it - FULL MOON! (we never checked for THAT!)
and although quite beautiful in its own way - we couldn't help but being somewhat disappointed.
Here are some shots form that night. The out of focus ones are Jupiter and Mars - the camera's zoom could only take "so much".... No stars could be seen because of the bright moon light
Full moon at Cherry Springs State Park

In the fall of 2020 we took a long-weekend trip to Wellsboro PA. only 3.5 hours drive from our home, one of few places that was open with proper precautions of the time and with 2 specific itineraries in mind
one was to do some hiking on the part of the so-called "Grand Canyon of PA" - my pre-Camino training (I was still hoping for May 21 at this point)

The other one was to visit Cherry Springs State Park - one of the few so-called "Dark Sky Parks". Jupiter and Mars were suppose to be easily seen that weekend so we were quite exited.
Good 45 mins drive on dark and winding roads... and when we came to the place - it was lit up as a Theater on the Opening Night of some much-anticipated play. Yup - you guessed it - FULL MOON! (we never checked for THAT!)
and although quite beautiful in its own way - we couldn't help but being somewhat disappointed.
Here are some shots form that night. The out of focus ones are Jupiter and Mars - the camera's zoom could only take "so much".... No stars could be seen because of the bright moon light
Full moon at Cherry Springs State Park
You see what I mean?! Imagine walking in that light under the meseta skies! And people talk about missing the view when you walk at night!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was sorry 😢 to read the level of concern about you leaving an albergue at 4.00 am. I assumed you would be silent as a silent mouse. 🐁 😂
On my last Camino there were a lot of early starters and I often woke up to find - much to my surprise- various empty beds that were full the night before.
Having said that here are my two moon shots from Nov 2023 (Edit 2022 😅)at/ near Xunquiera de Ambía. The actual full moon was an early morning view from a window before it clouded over. But the waning gibbous moon in the morning two days later was still stunning.

BEB3BEAB-CB7A-4B78-BBC6-2745932A6E90.jpeg0B0C63B0-304A-4E67-9A1C-583C78C317B6.jpeg

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

View attachment 144919
This is my dream too.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Not great photos but early am in both. First is heading for Los Arcos last september ( night of the noisy festival / party ) and the second IIRC is Cruz de Matagrande en route to Burgos after getting out of Attapuerca early doors. Nothing beats a dawn patrol

Attachments

• 20220911_064754.jpg
    20220911_064754.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • 20220915_055117.jpg
    20220915_055117.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
My dream is to walk on the meseta during a full moon.
You may want to do some astronomy planning with the aid of a website such as this...

If you're specifically wanting the full moon, you're in luck, because moonrise and moonset will obligingly be in the evening and morning. Then you can find dates where the sunrise will be tolerably late, and keep fingers crossed that the sky will be clear if you arrange to be somewhere suitably rural on that night.

If you want full moon overhead, you are likely to be obliged to be up around midnight to 2 or 3 am - later than 00:00, because of Spain being on, essentially, Paris time!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
If you want full moon overhead, you are likely to be obliged to be up around midnight to 2 or 3 am - later than 00:00, because of Spain being on, essentially, Paris time!
Actually, due to events in the 30s and 40s, France and Spain had their timezones set to match Berlin's and never reverted back.

View attachment 144919
I get it, that would be magical!

Actually, due to events in the 30s and 40s, France and Spain had their timezones set to match Berlin's and never reverted back.
Ah, oops. I did not mean to open a topic on those lines! True that UTC+1 is the local solar time for 15 degrees East longitude, which I suppose is Berlin now that I think about it... It is also British Summer Time, which I *wish* the UK was on in winter (I'm not a morning person), so I think of it as the time sensible people in Paris would want.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have walked a couple of times by moonlight and it can be very nice. make Certain that you choose a stage where it doesn’t require a lot of turns. Both times I had spent the night at an albergue before. The first time, I was awoken by others setting out. The second time I slipped out without disturbing anyone’s sleep. I always pack well before going to sleep so that I can be up and out the door without using on of the obnoxious headlamps in the dormitory.

I have walked a couple of times by moonlight and it can be very nice. make Certain that you choose a stage where it doesn’t require a lot of turns. Both times I had spent the night at an albergue before. The first time, I was awoken by others setting out. The second time I slipped out without disturbing anyone’s sleep. I always pack well before going to sleep so that I can be up and out the door without using on of the obnoxious headlamps in the dormitory.
If you use an APP with GPS tracking you can see where you are in relationship to the trail. Before the APP I had to be careful in the dark not to miss turns. Now I can walk a lot faster in the dark as I can see where I am on the map. See the picture below from the Buen Camino app I took last year. Blue dot is me, yellow line is the Camino 6853D290-9A97-4BC6-AF9E-F42F6C124863.jpeg

View attachment 144919
I strongly encourage you to follow through with your idea. I soloed the Camino which gave me the flexibility to walk at whatever time I wanted. 4 o'clock is a great time but you'll need your headlamp to help navigate the pitch black trails and avoid missing the yellow directional arrrows. The serenity of the dark and quiet is amazing.,

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My most magic night sky experience was when I was standing on the old clapper bridge in Postbridge, Dartmoor, England. You could see the Milky Way even after all those pints of bitter. And then there came a fireball, extremely close that you could see the actual flames. First I thought of a plane crashing actually. The next day I immediately started searching the area where I thought it came down. But to no avail – Dartmoor is such a vast landscape.
I find the best night skies seem to be in deserts. Maybe the lack of humidity makes it easier to see more. I remember one night two days drive into the Sahara from the nearest town or village....

On the Camino, in July and August, we liked to get up and start walking before sunrise (although perhaps not at 4). With a full moon or a clear sky there is no need for headlamps that can ruin your night vision and give you "tunnel vision" where you can't see anything beyond the light beam. We preferred to wait a bit outside before starting to walk and letting our eyes adjust to available light. A full moon gives one kind of beauty and a night lit by the Milky Way gives another.

You may want to do some astronomy planning with the aid of a website such as this...

If you're specifically wanting the full moon, you're in luck, because moonrise and moonset will obligingly be in the evening and morning. Then you can find dates where the sunrise will be tolerably late, and keep fingers crossed that the sky will be clear if you arrange to be somewhere suitably rural on that night.

Are you serious about my needing/using this site to plan my full moon walking, or are you pulling my leg? 🤣 I wouldn’t have the slightest hope of trying to figure out this site. I thought I was doing well just tracking the Burgos full moons for 2024, post #12. When I saw the full moon in February up in Yukon - at about 60.1°N - the moon made an enormous arc across the sky, it didn’t rise and it didn’t set. At Burgos’ latitude, 42°N, I expect the moon will rise and set. Would an hour at either end make a lot of difference?

Other posters have mentioned the need for clear skies, both for seeing the Milky Way on a dark night and for experiencing a full moon, I would have to gauge the situation - and my location - and see if I can hole up in a private room for a day or two in anticipation of the weather cooperating.

I find the best night skies seem to be in deserts. Maybe the lack of humidity makes it easier to see more. I remember one night two days drive into the Sahara from the nearest town or village....

On the Camino, in July and August, we liked to get up and start walking before sunrise (although perhaps not at 4). With a full moon or a clear sky there is no need for headlamps that can ruin your night vision and give you "tunnel vision" where you can't see anything beyond the light beam. We preferred to wait a bit outside before starting to walk and letting our eyes adjust to available light. A full moon gives one kind of beauty and a night lit by the Milky Way gives another.

Or very cold nights. Then humidity is extremely low. But it hardly gets that cold on any Camino Santiago .

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If I were to do it I'd book into a private room where I could get to sleep early and leave early without bothering anyone.

Generally, I left very early ( well before dawn) and was careful to pack the night before ( except sleeping bag) and sneak out. I’m not aware of ever disturbing anyone. But it was late winter and pilgrim traffic was light. Frequently I was alone in the albergue. But there is a downside. In Leon the albergue was reasonably full. It seems a significant number were not walking but simply availing themselves of cheap accommodation. I was told this is a practice followed to keep cash flow going in the slack months. Doors were closed at ten or eleven at night and not opened until seven thirty the next morning. But the majority of the guests were out drinking, tapasing and carousing until well after door closing time and had no trouble getting back in. They made a hell of s lot of noise well into the early hours. Followed by lots of snoring, burping and farting from then on. I snuck out pre-dawn as was my wont. I was stopped at the front door but when I said “ No puedo dormir por el ruido” they understood, grinned and let me through. In retrospect I almost wished I’d got up very early and thumped around making as much noise and fuss as I possibly could. De Colores

Bogong

Sadly I have no beautiful photos to share, only memories.

In 2017 I walked at night during a full moon, on the last day to Santiago. We were a small group and had packed all our things before. We left at 3am I think? It was the start of my very first ~40km day. The moon was so bright that I rarely used the flashlight. Since that day, whenever I see the full moon when I drive to work very early, I think of that night walking to Santiago.

Another year, in july, I started at 4am from Najéra. Saw the most beautiful night sky I've ever seen, full of stars (where I live there's a lot of light pollution, so maybe it wasn't even that impressive to others, but to me it was...).

Last year, again only shortly before Santiago, a night walk at around 2am, the moon was a giant red/pink (!) ball, so impressive!

For those who think it's crazy to walk at night... some people are early risers by nature, and it's not a chore to get up early, but the natural thing to do. I often start my walking days in the dark. Walking into sunrise is just amazing.

When the pack is ready when you start, it's not that much noise. Not more than someone getting up to go to the toilet.

Personally, most days I would be so bored lying in the albergue bed until 7:30 or even later. On the Via Podiensis the groups in a dorm would often agree on a time to get up. Sometimes as late as 8:30! For me that meant hours spent awake in bed, waiting for the others to wake up... For someone who wakes up early, that is just as annoying as someone else getting up early for those who prefer to sleep longer...

Another reason why I like to sleep in my tent and start walking whenever I want to :)

Last edited:
Did a new moon on ruta dragonte this month. Private room in hotel cruce. No headlight just starlight to see on the big climb out of villafranca de bierzo.. recommend ..

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I wouldn't set an alarm for that, but if I happened to wake up, AND there seemed to be sufficient light, AND it would not be a problem to leave the albergue door unlocked, AND I could gather my things without waking other pilgrims, I would start walking in spite of not being able to get my café con leche till the next village.

At Calzadilla de Los Hermanillos .

Attachments

• 20170611_060426.jpg
    20170611_060426.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
I wouldn't set an alarm for that, but if I happened to wake up, AND there seemed to be sufficient light, AND it would not be a problem to leave the albergue door unlocked, AND I could gather my things without waking other pilgrims, I would start walking in spite of not being able to get my café con leche till the next village.
Yes, I’d be very reluctant to set an alarm to get up early too. However, I’m an early riser. At home I regularly start my day at 4 am (you’d be surprised how much one can get done in the early hours). On camino, I can’t recall waking that early, but I remember many mornings when I lay awake (climbing the walls!!) waiting for someone else to start stirring so I could finally get going. Now I know to be prepared the night before to slip out early in the morning should I feel the need. How nice it would be if I were to slip out early in the morning on a moonlit night and run into a like-minded perigrino who is also wanting to walk in the moonlight.

As @good_old_shoes mentioned above, for someone who wakes up early, it is just as annoying as someone else getting up early is for those who prefer to sleep longer. I agree.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Whenever I can, I'll sleep near the exit and will always pack the night before so that I can slip out early for just this sort of thing...
moon.jpg
I love to walk under a full moon...

View attachment 144919
Off yourse!

Not exactly Meseta, but behind Leon and at the Cruz de Ferro!

Camino-0312.jpgCamino-0316.jpgCamino-0323.jpgCamino-0344.jpgCamino-0347.jpg

Starting at 4:00 is simply a very early start. I am somewhat fascinated by those who sleep to 10 pm or midnight and then walk a stage overnight. Reading accounts of that as well as talking to people who have done it, it seems the experience is kind of like staying at Manjarin--once is enough.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For those who think it's crazy to walk at night... some people are early risers by nature, and it's not a chore to get up early, but the natural thing to do. I often start my walking days in the dark. Walking into sunrise is just amazing.
Same here. Even in regular life I cannot stand waiting to walk until the sun comes up. If the sun is up at all I feel like I am behind schedule. It's so nice and quiet outside before daybreak and when the sunlight starts illuminating things I can be in a rhythm and feeling good. Then by the time the actual sunrise happens I've been going for a while and just feel great.

I've been this way since I was a child. We'd go camping all the time in the Peninsular and Sierra ranges and Borrego and Mojave. I'd be up well before anyone else and go hiking by myself. The full moon at night at these places is impossible to avoid and it draws you out and about because you can see so well.

But since I've been outside so much at night, walking the Camino on moony nights or good starry nights is a lower priority. I will do it if it works out but mostly I worry about getting enough rest. Whenever possible, I will be out way before sunrise anyway so no reason to push it.

But if anyone is looking for inspiration for a night walk I will say this: Moonlight rainbows exist. They are subtle and you have to catch it just right but you won't forget seeing one.

But if anyone is looking for inspiration for a night walk I will say this: Moonlight rainbows exist. They are subtle and you have to catch it just right but you won't forget seeing one.

Thank you KFH. How to see a moonbow:

Same here. Even in regular life I cannot stand waiting to walk until the sun comes up. If the sun is up at all I feel like I am behind schedule. It's so nice and quiet outside before daybreak and when the sunlight starts illuminating things I can be in a rhythm and feeling good. Then by the time the actual sunrise happens I've been going for a while and just feel great.

I've been this way since I was a child. We'd go camping all the time in the Peninsular and Sierra ranges and Borrego and Mojave. I'd be up well before anyone else and go hiking by myself. The full moon at night at these places is impossible to avoid and it draws you out and about because you can see so well.

But since I've been outside so much at night, walking the Camino on moony nights or good starry nights is a lower priority. I will do it if it works out but mostly I worry about getting enough rest. Whenever possible, I will be out way before sunrise anyway so no reason to push it.

Your talk of moonlight rainbows spurs a memory. In 1984 I was at Victoria Falls. The water plunges into a chasm and then roars down the Zambezi River. It hurls spray hundreds of feet into the air. There was a very conspicuous rainbow in the moonlight, seen clearly approaching the bridge into Zambia.
De Colores

Bogong

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
To those who eyes are on the sky….there is danger below
Not saying danger doesn't exist at night but this is funny to me because in my experience people are much, much more apt to look around and up and behind while walking in the daytime.

When you are out walking at night you tend to focus on your footsteps a lot more and in the immediate area illuminated by whatever light you carry. Most looking around and looking at the sky at night is done while stopped and taking a moment to have a good look.

When walking and hiking in the daytime many people tend to look all over the place. "What kind of bird is that?" "Look at the nice clouds over that mountain" "Hey isn't that guy back there in the red jacket the man we met at the cafe?"

The ten thousand hiking vlogs on youtube are a great example of not watching where you are going.

For me, anyway, when walking or hiking in the daytime, the times I am most focused on my actual steps and path are when a) I am very tired and b) when I am deep in thought while walking alone.

Another interesting thing is when you are walking with someone, the deeper you go in a conversation (meaning not a casual exchange of small talk), the more your eyes tend to drop onto the path in front of you and you get this strange kind of auto-focus on your path and steps while you walk and talk. For me, anyway lol-- I'd love to hear from others.

I'm NOT saying walking in the dark is safer than walking in the day. You can see much better in the day-- but there are a jillion more distractions.

The biggest danger walking in the dark (at night or early morning) is that your headlamps etc often produce unreliable shapes and shadows. You can easily mistake depth of a hole/shallow spot or misjudge ground.

A full moon is a much more reliable light for walking than headlamps and handheld lights. Once your eyes get used to moonlight, you can see very well and the shadows the moonlight makes are more like those produced by sunlight.

Last year on the Frances two girls from our dorm room informed us that they were going to start walking at 4.15 so that they could walk under the moon eclipse. Almost all of us in the room joined in (6 out of 7). It was an amazing experience, we saw 1/3 of the eclipse and than the clouds came and we walked in pitch darkness :D
A couple of days later I met the one lady that was left in our room and bought her tea (what she wanted) as a "we are sorry for waking you" gesture. All in all a good story for us, but I wouldn't do it too often. We were done with walking by the time it was 11 or something.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back