• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

LIVE from the Camino Update 9 April 2015 -- Everybody Is A Comedian

Grogan

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis (April 2015)
9 April 2015 -- Burgos to Hontanas 31.1 km --Weather Started Out Great -- Then Rain : (

So after yesterday's epic distance I figured I was good to go -- well woke up and my whole body was hurting -- so slow start -- 0840 -- Getting out of big cities is always a challenge for me -- but this time no wrong turns -- but it was like a really big city and it took forever. Should have taken a cab.

Burgos forward -- not as cool as the before Burgos routes (unless you are into rocks and sheep droppings -- lots of sheep droppings) -- it was mainly walking on rocky roads -- that later on in the day turned into muddy roads -- I forgot how heavy your boots get with mud clinging to them.

It was a really painful walk -- mainly on the energy level - left foot arch actually did not cause any pain, but got some in the shin (may have had the tops of the boot too tight, so adjusted) - Right foot -- still got the blister on the heel, but padded that puppy so was not uncomfortable -- and with only 300 meters to go, pinched a back nerve -- so taken it easy tonight and depending on how I feel tomorrow, may cut down the kms -- can make them up later -- so a half zero day sounds like a potential.

Everybody is a Comedian, even if they don't know it -- Last night when I was getting my room in Burgos, the young Hostel Clerk was showing me the place -- he told me that I could use the gym facilities for free if I wanted too -- ok -- lets lay this out -- 40 kms -- I told him thanks, but maybe in the morning -- yeah right - like that was going to happen.

The Meseta -- how to describe the Moon with rocky pastures -- ok -- The Meseta --just when you think you are at the top of the hill, mountain, high ground (choose your poison) -- you are not -- it keeps on going up and then when you get to the top -- it continues to go on until at some point it goes downhill -- and you get to do this twice -- 20 kms worth -- lots of time to think and reflect -- beauty in the solitude.

So as I am blitzing forward -- ok maybe not blitzing -- I am starting to run into different herds who started the Camino earlier than I did -- it is kind of weird -- I miss my original group -- this new group is interesting and nice -- and I think they have accepted me -- feeling like a foster child.

The Albegue I am staying at is really nice (Albergue Juan de Yepes -- highly recommend) -- great setup -- they have beer : ) . Learned an important thing today -- when you pay your 7 euros for the room immediately sign up for the Pilgrim's Dinner - I did not, so did not make the headcount -- so ordered from the Kitchen -- but -- was looking forward to getting to know more about my new Camino Family.

Ok that's it -- going to get my gear organized and go to bed --

One piece of equipment that I have used everyday -- plain old hanky -- never carried a hanky before this -- but best piece of kit I own (highly recommend you wash daily -- : ) ).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Perhaps you should have told him you already were a member of a free gym ... one with better scenery.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum