• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

US Passport Info!

ritaj

Time of past OR future Camino
Alert US travelers: I was planning to leave the US to walk the San Salvador in mid May. At the last minute I discovered that my passport had to have a renewal date of at least 6 months after I was to return. My renewal date was October 2017. It would be 6-8 weeks (though probably only 3-4 weeks) before I could get a renewed passport. I could go to Boston or Portsmouth New Hampshire (NOT near where I live) to get it within one day for an additional $60 (above the $110) cost of renewal. After much thought, I have moved my Camino to the first week in September and sent my passport off for renewal the usual way.
I am frustrated at the 3 1/2 month delay but so looking forward to my (first time solo) San Salvador. I hope I will meet some of the contributors to this forum which I have been following since my first Camino (Le Puy to Santiago) in 2009 and 2011 and the Portugues in 2015. You have all been very important in my daily life!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Alert US travelers: I was planning to leave the US to walk the San Salvador in mid May. At the last minute I discovered that my passport had to have a renewal date of at least 6 months after I was to return. My renewal date was October 2017. It would be 6-8 weeks (though probably only 3-4 weeks) before I could get a renewed passport. I could go to Boston or Portsmouth New Hampshire (NOT near where I live) to get it within one day for an additional $60 (above the $110) cost of renewal. After much thought, I have moved my Camino to the first week in September and sent my passport off for renewal the usual way.
I am frustrated at the 3 1/2 month delay but so looking forward to my (first time solo) San Salvador. I hope I will meet some of the contributors to this forum which I have been following since my first Camino (Le Puy to Santiago) in 2009 and 2011 and the Portugues in 2015. You have all been very important in my daily life!

With exception, one can also do an Expedited renewal by mail for an additional $60.00, which would give a turnaround of 2-4 weeks. I don't know whether or not this would have helped you at the time, but it is something for others to keep in mind.

Hello,
I believe things happen for a reason, so maybe you just weren't meant to go in May???? Maybe you will have a special experience that you otherwise wouldn't have had. At least you discovered it now and not when you were about to board the plane....that would have been worse.
Buen Camino.
Charlotte

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I almost got caught out on this and I've done a lot of out-of-Canada travel all my life and, as well, worked on the fringes of our Immigration programme for years, so have no excuse. Luckily, there is a passport office within walking distance, so I got a 5-day turnaround at no extra cost.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That is true for passports of other countries as well. Different countries have different requirements (3 months, 6, etc.) when you enter, so most airlines won't accept passengers with less than 6 months on their passports.
The airlines use a database of international requirements to determine whether one can board the plane. Here is the start of the article at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timatic

Timatic is the database containing cross border passenger documentation requirements. Timatic stands for Travel Information Manual Automatic and is used by airlines to determine whether a passenger can be carried, as well as by airlines and travel agents to provide this information to travellers at the time of booking. This is critical for airlines due to fines levied by immigration authorities every time a passenger is carried who does not have the correct travel documentation.

Edit: There are places on the web where you can get access to the data. I've seen interfaces on airline websites.

It costs extra but you can get an expedited US passport in a few days. My husband had to do that when misplaced his days before a trip

Hello,
I believe things happen for a reason, so maybe you just weren't meant to go in May???? Maybe you will have a special experience that you otherwise wouldn't have had. At least you discovered it now and not when you were about to board the plane....that would have been worse.
Buen Camino.
Charlotte
Charlotte -- I didn't believe anything like that when you posted your response. Then, this week, when I would have been in Spain, my partner Wes ended up in the hospital for a problem that now has been resolved but I was SO glad I was here to be with him! Whew. And I am set to walk the San Salvador the first week of September with my renewed passport and happy to have been forced to delay. Right you are!
Rita

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Rita-
Thank you for your response. I am sorry to hear about Wes but glad things worked out in the end. I will be in Spain in Sept. as well but on the CF. Anyway, happy travels and Buen Camino.
Best,
Charlotte

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.