• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Us, the passport, a route =]

Zohard

Hello…

I’m from Israel, my girlfriend is from England. At the moment I’m traveling in India. I want to start the way of Santiago from France – although I’m still not sure which path we’re going to take. We want to start in about a month or two.
Here are my questions:
1) Where exactly do I get the pilgrimage passport? Please, don’t just give me links to other “answers” in this forum because I’ve already read it quiet thoroughly (and for many hours) and found no answers – not to mention that some of the links are broken. I found ways to get it if you belong to a certain organization or a group. Or if you come from this country or another but could not find anything for myself. So, since I’m not in Europe at the moment my girlfriend (who is from England) will have to buy them for both of us. Where and how exactly can we obtain them? Can we do it by email? Letter? How do I pay for them?
2) Any suggestions regarding where to start from France? Since we also plan to take a tent we prefer to take routes that are less traveled.
Anyway, we would appreciate any assistance
thanks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi there, A number of forum members have walked from le Puy and loved it. Walking in france is no-where near as crowded as it is on the Camino Frances, and so you have many choices. The route from Arles is very quiet (and quite remote in some sections) compared to the Le Puy route, but even at its most crowded, walking from le Puy is still manageable - you only need to book accomodation the day before (unless it is a public holiday!) I haven't camped and so I can't comment on that side of it. I am expecting the Vezelay route to be much quieter than the Le Puy route when I walk it in July. In July 2007 I was walking with roughly 50 - 60 people (compared to the 250 - 300 people that I walked with a month later in Sapin!)

There is a further complication in July for those walking the Vezelay route in that the Tour de France is crisscrossing the path (around the 16th from memory), which may impact on accomodation and perhaps camping places.

A pilgirm passport in France can be bought at most of the big Cathedrals, or you can find out from there where to get them. I have bought one at a parish house in Toulouse - at the back of the Cathedral, and from the Nuns at the back of the Cathedral in Le Puy. I would imagine that you could also buy them at Concques and perhaps Figeac and Moissac - others might be able to say definately on that. I have heard that they can also be bought from the Cathedral at Biarritz (or Bayonne) and also at Vezelay. I would imagine that Bourges and Limoges Cathedrals would also have them but that is only guess work.

I hope that has given you some ideas and been of some use to you, regards, Janet

I guess it's my mistake... what i meant to ask is where can i buy it ( by email or letter ) and have it mailed to my girlfriend back in England. i don't want to spent time trying to locate an official place in a country i don't know.

The link to this page ---> http://www.csj.org.uk/how-to-get-a-credencial.htm
doesn't help me because for that i actually have to be there physically and like i said i'm traveling in India at the moment

Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
to get a passport posted to you I think you may have to join one of the associations - either CSJ or the Amis in France. It really is no trouble to get one on the first day that you arrive - they are very easy to get from the places I mentioned in the previous post, but without knowing where you intend to start we are unable to help with a specific suggestion of a place. Good luck, Janet

Ok,

I would actually appreciate some suggestions. I've never been to France myself so i wouldn't know...
Since my girlfriend isn't in the best shape and never took part in anything of that magnitude (i'm not even sure she walked for more than two days straight) i would rather start in a more relaxed and easy route.

if the Vezelay route is problematic because the Tour de France is crisscrossing the path i would rather not take that chance.
Le Puy route sounds ok... is it easy to reach it? ... i'm going to arrive from Amsterdam (train or plane - suggestions?) and since i don't know France and would like to start the trek immediately i would rather go for a route i know i'll find easily.

one more question... should i take a book with me? any suggestions for a simple and light book? ... if it's not a must i would rather not carry a book. my experience showed me that 99% of the time it's really not needed... especially when we talk about lonely planets - which, as far as india goes (where i am traveling at this time) is really completely useless.

thanks again

Hi Anakin,
A guide book is helpful if you have never traveled the route before. You can easily see the distance to the next town, albergue, whether there is food, water, shelter, etc. You can also see the terrain, and gauge how far you want/need to walk on a particular day. I would suggest that since you seem so unsure of your routes and (both) your abilities that a guidebook might be a helpful thing for you to carry.

You will obtain your credencial or pilgrim passport at the point at which you begin the Camino. If it is Roncesvalles, you can get it there... or nearly any albergue, cathedral along the Way. Do you speak French or Spanish? Are you going by way of Paris? If so, I might have a freind who could assist you.
Buen Camino,

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.