• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Vaccine Passports?

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee_Scotland

Time of past OR future Camino
Both.

2018, 2019, 2022
I cannot risk getting vaccinated; as a brain haemorrhage survive, the risk of blood clots is too much.

Can someone please tell me what the latest news is re travelling to Biarritz in France or Bilbao in Spain. Can I enter France or Spain without a vaccine passport? Also, are there now border controls between St Jean and Roncesvalles?

Thank you

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Even when you don't travel from the UK to France by Eurostar, the Eurostar website is up to date and gives you a current, clear and short answer to your question:

I am always amused by the question about border control between St Jean and Roncesvalles. Whether you will get checked or not at the border ought not to matter to you. You ought to follow the regulations that apply to you. Full stop.

I am putting this info in this thread: Spain has prolonged their order INT/657/2020 for another month, until 31 March 2022. Make sure that you consult the Última actualización publicada.

They usually prolong this order at the end of every month for another month. In practical terms, it means that nothing changes. Unless you belong to a category of travellers who benefit from an exemption (like being a Spanish national or travelling from a country on the current EU white list), you are banned from flying from a non-EU country to Spain unless you are vaccinated or recently recovered from Covid-19 and carry proper proof for it.

In particular: Entry into Spain is allowed for vaccinated travellers from UK, USA, CAN, AUS, SA and allowed for all travellers from NZ.

Validity rules for Spain:
  • Certificate of primary vaccination: valid for up to 270 days from the administration of the last dose.
  • Certificate of booster vaccination: valid from the day the booster dose is administered. No expiration date.

See: SpTH website.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am putting this info in this thread: Spain has prolonged their order INT/657/2020 for another month, until 31 March 2022. Make sure that you consult the Última actualización publicada.

They usually prolong this order at the end of every month for another month. In practical terms, it means that nothing changes. Unless you belong to a category of travellers who benefit from an exemption (like being a Spanish national or travelling from a country on the current EU white list), you are banned from flying from a non-EU country to Spain unless you are vaccinated or recently recovered from Covid-19 and carry proper proof for it.

In particular: Entry into Spain is allowed for vaccinated travellers from UK, USA, CAN, AUS, SA and allowed for all travellers from NZ.

Validity rules for Spain:
  • Certificate of primary vaccination: valid for up to 270 days from the administration of the last dose.
  • Certificate of booster vaccination: valid from the day the booster dose is administered. No expiration date.

See: SpTH website.
So what you mean if I am correct the certificate you mention is the same as our digital covid pass here in the UK to show that we have had all 3 vaccines ... and at anytime we could be asked to produce them especially at any of the places we stay at ..in that case I believe the monastery at Roncesvalles can be the first to ask for it.

So what you mean if I am correct the certificate you mention is the same as our digital covid pass here in the UK to show that we have had all 3 vaccines ... and at anytime we could be asked to produce them especially at any of the places we stay at ..in that case I believe the monastery at Roncesvalles can be the first to ask for it.
Yes, I mean your digital covid pass in the UK. And any time you are asked to provide proof of vaccination, you can use this. In France they may say they want to see your "pass vaccinal". In Spain they may say they want to see your "pasaporte Covid". It means the same. And if you are boostered which I think you mean when you say you had all 3 vaccines then you don't have to be concerned about anything. You will be just fine in France and in Spain.

Updated on 5 March 2022:
  • No proof of vaccination required for travel, accommodation and restaurants in Spain.
  • As of 14 March 2022, no proof of vaccination required for travel, accommodation and restaurants in France.

Last edited:
I know it can be complicated for some ..I downloaded my covid passport onto my boarding pass with Ryanair then took a photo copy of it just in case I am asked to produce it while I make my way to SJPDP via Bayonne on the train all they have to do is scan the QR code..yes had my booster in December six months after my second vaccine ..

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I live in Mexico and have a QR code on my vaccination certificate and my booster certificate (they are separate). I've read that you must go to a Pharmacy to get your "pass" in France but not in Spain. Is my understanding of this correct? I will be getting directly on a bus or train when I land in Madrid so I just want to make sure my understanding is correct. thank you,

I live in Mexico and have a QR code on my vaccination certificate and my booster certificate (they are separate). I've read that you must go to a Pharmacy to get your "pass" in France but not in Spain. Is my understanding of this correct? I will be getting directly on a bus or train when I land in Madrid so I just want to make sure my understanding is correct. thank you,
The initial question of this thread is about requirements for flying TO France and TO Spain.

You ask about requirements IN France and IN Spain. I see from your other posts that you plan to travel in April 2022.

I have updated my previous comments in this thread and will add it also here:
  • No proof of vaccination required for travel, accommodation and restaurants in Spain.
  • As of 14 March 2022, no proof of vaccination required for travel, accommodation and restaurants in France.
Buen Camino!

The initial question of this thread is about requirements for flying TO France and TO Spain.

You ask about requirements IN France and IN Spain. I see from your other posts that you plan to travel in April 2022.

Buen Camino!
Thank you. Originally I had looked at requirements in the surrounding countries when deciding where to fly into. I may be on a bit of Information Overload at the moment and appreciate your clarity.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Buen Camino!
Thanks for your clarification. I’m from the U.S., traveling through Paris to SJPdP to start my Camino in April ‘22. I’m vaccinated and boostered - but you’re saying I don’t need any documentation of my Covid vaccination status to travel into or within France or Spain, correct? Thx!

Thanks for your clarification. I’m from the U.S., traveling through Paris to SJPdP to start my Camino in April ‘22. I’m vaccinated and boostered - but you’re saying I don’t need any documentation of my Covid vaccination status to travel into or within France or Spain, correct? Thx!
I would still plan to bring my vaccination proof. Hopefully you won't need it, but as we all know by now, things can change!

Thanks for your clarification. I’m from the U.S., traveling through Paris to SJPdP to start my Camino in April ‘22. I’m vaccinated and boostered - but you’re saying I don’t need any documentation of my Covid vaccination status to travel into or within France or Spain, correct?
Correct. If there are no changes between now and April, as a vaccinated and boostered traveller, you will need documentation of your Covid vaccination status to travel from the USA to France. After arrival you will obviously be holding it but you will not be asked for it. Not in France and not in Spain and not when travelling on land between Spain and France in either direction.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
"Ok, I found this statement on 'France Diplomacy' re: obtaining the French vaccine pass: 'Since February 1st, 2022, in order to continue to be considered as fully vaccinated, persons aged eighteen or over wishing to enter the national territory must have received a booster dose no later than 9 months following the injection of the last required dose."

From someone's recent post, as above, I now have a question about my own vaccine status. received dose #1 in January 2021 and #2 in February 2021. Received booster (dose #3) just last month, so it is 12 months since having rec'd dose #2. So the "no later than 9 months" requirement is indeed bothersome. As much as I want to go again and have a nice time on the camino + visit a few other places in France and Italy, I am fearing that all my planning was for nothing! Short of calling the French embassy, does anyone out there know anything about this?

Ok, I found this statement on 'France Diplomacy' re: obtaining the French vaccine pass: 'Since February 1st, 2022, in order to continue to be considered as fully vaccinated, persons aged eighteen or over wishing to enter the national territory must have received a booster dose no later than 9 months following the injection of the last required dose."
Hi @Jim, I can read this five million times and I still have my doubts as to whether they really mean what it appears to mean.

All I can say right now (5 March):
  • If you travel by Eurostar from the UK to France and the Eurostar staff check your documentation and sees that you are boostered then you can board; see post #2.

• If you fly from a non-EU country to France and the staff at the check-in desk or at the gate use the IATA information as a basis and see that you are boostered then you can board; see IATA website.

• If you fly from a non-EU country to Spain and the staff at the check-in desk or at the gate see that you are boostered then you can board; see #3.

• I have EU Digital Covid certificates, good for travel to any EU country from anywhere. Validity: If I had only 2 basic vaccination jabs (like yours in Jan and Feb 21), then the certificates would no longer be valid because they are older than 270 days / 9 months. However, I have 2 basic vaccination jabs and a booster jab (like you). It does not matter when I got the booster. My certificate is valid.

This is the law since 1 February 2022 throughout the EU for EU DCC holders. It's an EU law, not a mere recommendation. But it applies only to EU DCCs.
And that's all I can say on this. Sorry.

Hi @Jim, I can read this five million times and I still have my doubts as to whether they really mean what it appears to mean.

All I can say right now (5 March):
  • If you travel by Eurostar from the UK to France and the Eurostar staff check your documentation and sees that you are boostered then you can board; see post #2.

• If you fly from a non-EU country to France and the staff at the check-in desk or at the gate use the IATA information as a basis and see that you are boostered then you can board; see IATA website.

• If you fly from a non-EU country to Spain and the staff at the check-in desk or at the gate see that you are boostered then you can board; see #3.

• I have EU Digital Covid certificates, good for travel to any EU country from anywhere. Validity: If I had only 2 basic vaccination jabs (like yours in Jan and Feb 21), then the certificates would no longer be valid because they are older than 270 days / 9 months. However, I have 2 basic vaccination jabs and a booster jab (like you). It does not matter when I got the booster. My certificate is valid.

This is the law since 1 February 2022 throughout the EU for EU DCC holders. It's an EU law, not a mere recommendation. But it applies only to EU DCCs.
And that's all I can say on this. Sorry.
Thank you, Kather1na! Yes, it does seem to be confusing, but I'm sure that most powers that be want to be both reasonable and logical while in the spirit of protecting everyone.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Let’s revisit this text after the 14th of March when the websites need to be updated anyway!
Not all official French websites for travellers to France have been updated yet. However, there have been additional developments, in particular: the United States are now classified as a "green country", together with numerous other countries. This means, according to the French Ministry for the Interior and their information for international travellers:
  • No negative test on departure is required on departure for vaccinated travelers within the meaning of European regulations. These travelers must present proof of this vaccination to the transport company and to the border control authorities.
  • Unvaccinated travellers must present a negative result of a PCR test less than 72 hours or an antigen test less than 48 hours before departure (departure of the first flight in the event of a connection)
The odd wording "a booster dose of messenger RNA vaccine no later than nine months after receiving the last mandatory dose" is still present. However, they also refer to "vaccinated within the meaning of European regulations" and EU regulations definitely say: ok if 2x vaccinated plus 1 booster at any time. So the enigma remains.

If you received your booster jab more than 9 months after your initial jabs and you are seriously worried about this and cannot get a different answer from French authorities or your airline and you travel from the USA to France, you could obtain a negative test result and travel on the basis of the rules of the second category listed above even though you are vaccinated and boostered. Bon voyage!

The UK is still classified as an "orange country". (Questions in this thread were from potential travellers from the UK and the USA).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back