• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Covid digital vaccine passports for US Citizens?

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Though not yet a global pass, New York state has begun to use a State Travel pass. It is a step in the right direction.

I fear this will be another hot culture war political issue in the US, with the governor of Florida already proclaiming that under no circumstaces will he let businesses require proof of vaccination as a condition for entry in his state.

Marbe, maybe I should make this a new thread with a “US” in parentheses? I am sure there will be many twists and turns as this develops, and that way we can keep the discussions searate.

I fear this will be another hot culture war political issue in the US, with the governor of Florida already proclaiming that under no circumstaces will he let businesses require proof of vaccination as a condition for entry in his state.

Marbe, maybe I should make this a new thread with a “US” in parentheses? I am sure there will be many twists and turns as this develops, and that way we can keep the discussions searate.
I am afraid that US citizens will have to wait for a long time before being able to return to Europe: The EU is worried about how to allow its own citizens become tourists within its borders first and foremost, as I understand it. Many countries are depending heavily on internal European tourism, much more than on pilgrims/tourists coming from outside the EU. Pilgrim "tourism" is just a tiny fraction of the visitors to EU, and mostly in Spain. Most pilgrims are from the EU (Spanish people mostly; the people from outside EU on the Caminos are just a fraction of a tiny fraction).

And the (now inevitably, it seems) EU vaccine passport is now well underway ,it seems, making tourism dependable countries like Spain, Greece, Italy very happy. It has to come, IMHO.

So yes, a US thread may be proper.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am afraid that US citizens will have to wait for a long time before being able to return to Europe:
I think there will be a lot of pressure from countries who depend on the tourist industry to do it as soon as reasonably possible. And yes, probably starting with some sort of vaccine passport. There is a database in my state where they are keeping track of reciepients. I'm sure there are people in the EU and the US working on ideas already.

I don't understand why everyone insists on saying over and over what the complications are, what might happen, what the changing situation is, etc., and arguing over the details and the options.

Right now, there is a pandemic and we can't travel. Various authorities are considering various ways to manage things. Eventually we will recover some mobility. End of story.

Irish PP holder here... slated to receive my vaccine at some point in the next 4-6 weeks (earlier if there is a lot of hesitancy in my group), resident in Canada, and waiting for Ireland to get out of level 5 lockdown so that my renewed PP can be sent to me (It’s sitting in a vault in Dublin as I understand it). Wrote to the embassy to ask what would happen for non-resident citizens of Ireland (not a Schengen region) as far as EU vaccine Green QR code goes...
Nobody knows yet...
But I am really hoping I can show my profile of vaccination, and my Irish PP and not be denied entry to Spain in January 2022.
I’m looking at apartments to rent in places like Vigo, Orense, Pontevedra and Ponferrada. I’d love to be in Astorga too, but my insurance company has to find me a location where I can get my Xolair treatments injected.... It’s so many “moving parts” ... and mine is but one Pilgrim example....

[Aside: I think I’m leaning heaving to Ponferrada or Orense because of affordability, train access, universities where I could affiliate for library and internet access while I’m on sabbatical.... and the presence of large enough health centres for my injections.]

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Unfortunately, there is a large segment of the US population who will refuse the vaccine. Most of whom fit into the group who denies that Covid is, or ever was a problem. â˜č

You know, @trecile, I really do not think the problem will be as big as it currently seems. Health care employers , universities, schools, many state systems , feds, will require a vaccine by the the end of 2021. Large companies, restaurants, team owners,, event owners, Broadway, bars, etc. will make it a provision for employment...because it is in the interest of the their bottom line. There are some based upon religious obections, or documented health reasons who will be exempt, but,in the end, personal liberty won’t fly as a ground for exemption. Eventually, those who choose to resist taking the vaccine because of personal liberty will find their own-choices curtailed.

In addition, I have found folks who you are quite vocal about not initially getting the vaccine, are signing up. Keep the faith!

Last edited:
Irish PP holder here... slated to receive my vaccine at some point in the next 4-6 weeks (earlier if there is a lot of hesitancy in my group), resident in Canada, and waiting for Ireland to get out of level 5 lockdown so that my renewed PP can be sent to me (It’s sitting in a vault in Dublin as I understand it). Wrote to the embassy to ask what would happen for non-resident citizens of Ireland (not a Schengen region) as far as EU vaccine Green QR code goes...
Nobody knows yet...
But I am really hoping I can show my profile of vaccination, and my Irish PP and not be denied entry to Spain in January 2022.
I’m looking at apartments to rent in places like Vigo, Orense, Pontevedra and Ponferrada. I’d love to be in Astorga too, but my insurance company has to find me a location where I can get my Xolair treatments injected.... It’s so many “moving parts” ... and mine is but one Pilgrim example....

[Aside: I think I’m leaning heaving to Ponferrada or Orense because of affordability, train access, universities where I could affiliate for library and internet access while I’m on sabbatical.... and the presence of large enough health centres for my injections.]

Unsolicited advice; I vote for Ponferrada for your apt.

I deleted my own comment, as I hope no one took it as "hate America". I mean, I definitely see the flaws of our country, however I don't want to participate in a "US thread", nor should there even be a US thread. I agree it has potential to go downhill.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ouch! This thread has the potential to go downhill "Hate America" so fast it will make your teeth rattle.

Moderators -- please moderate.
Not sure where the "Hate America" thought entered your mind. I have been following this thread, am an American, and have not felt that at all.

The pandemic is real, imo, problem identified.
We have a solution, vaccinations.
We all get vaccinated, problem solved.

Barriers to solution, false information, politics, anti vaccination crowd and at the moment lack of vaccine supply and process to distribute world wide.

Everything that has happened up to this point is moot. The past can not be changed. The only value it has is future pandemic education.

Moderators, imo, doing a fine job with this thread.

Ultreya,
Joe

I don't see any value in continuing this thread, and I do see potential for hard feelings, over-sensitivity, political discussion, and even criticism of moderation - no matter what action is taken or not taken. I will close the thread, leaving some discontinuity due to deleted posts.

Edited to add a thank you for members who have self-moderated and removed some provocative posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back