• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Valley Cele - Information Please

OssieMate

Time of past OR future Camino
Hills of Girona 2016
Alto Teruel Spain 2016
Roncevalles to Santiago April (2015)
Le Puy-en-Velay to SJP'dP France April (2014)
San Leo to Assissi Umbria December (2014)
Cascais to Sintra Portugal (2013)
Obernai to Kaysersberg Alsace (2011)
Hi Everyone,

its me again from down-under (Australia).

I believe that the Valley Cele detour at Figeac is a fantastic walk. Can anyone provide me with details on this route - GR651, how long it takes to walk all the way from Figeac to Cahors.

Any suggestions for some 'memorable' places we can stay at along the way.

Intend staying a few days at Saint Cirq Lapopie (most beautigful village in France!)

Any info would be appreciated,

Regards

Ralph
Melbourne.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Ralph,
Here are the stages I walked years ago when I took the Cele Valley detour, which I highly recommend:

Figeac to Espagnac (26 km) -- Chambre d'hote M. Dubruisson, TEL: 05-65-40-08-34

Espagnac to Marcilhac (15 km) -- Chambres d'Hotes Michelle Menassol, Les Tilleuls; emailmichelle.menassol@wanadoo.fr 42 euros double room with breakfast (but this was 2004, mind you0

Marcilhac to Cabrerets (20 km) -- In my earlier post, I said we viewed the caves at Nasbinals, obviously my memory was wrong, the town is Cabrerets. We stayed at Hotel des Grottes, but I remember there was an albergue there. We visited the caves the next morning (I had made reservations in advance, which is a good idea, you can do it online,http://www.pechmerle.com

Cabrerets to St. Cirque (11 km) -- we finished the cave tour by noon or so, if memory serves, and then had a quick walk to this beautiful preserved old town. You actually get off the Camino at Bouzies, and then go out and back to St. Cirque, it's just a few kms off and well marked. Stayed in a place in town, Hotel Bar L'Auberge du Sombral

St. Cirques to Pasturac (18 km) -- Gite of Mr. and Mme. Chharazac, Pasturat, 46090 Aracambal, tel. 05-65-31-44-94. This was a lovely rural gite, we had a great outdoor meal here and very much enjoyed ourselves.

Pasturac to Cahors (22 km). We stayed at the hotel Terminus, I didn't really like Cahors at all. Here is where you rejoin the GR-65.

(pasted in from an old post on the topic). Actually, if you use the search function and just type in Cele Valley, you will find a number of threads on this topic. Here's one:

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/cele-route-option.20850/

Good luck. Laurie

We love the Cele', but then, we also liked Cahors, with the hundred faces around the cathedral and the cool bridge with the devil watching from above. Hard to go wrong out there.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My stages at the end of the Valley of the Célé were different from Laurie's as I didn't go out and back to Saint-Cirq-Lapopie. If you continue on the GR36/46 you will rejoin the GR65 just before Bach. My last stages were:

Saint-Cirq-Lapopie - Vaylats (22.5 km). I stayed in the convent at Vaylats (phone number +33(0)565316351). It has a good atmosphere - not surprisingly, it is very quiet - and a communal meal.

Vaylats - Cahors (24 km). I've stayed in both the Foyer des Jeunes Travailleurs and the Foyer des Jeunes du Quercy and both are fine. My preference is for the latter simply because it is closer to the Cathedral.

Comparing my distances to Laurie's, my route is actually longer but I have an aversion to going out and back and also wanted to stay at the convent in Vaylats as I had done when I had walked the other way between Figeac and Cahors. The route to Vaylats is a detour but it is well-marked and you don't need to backtrack the next morning.

The communal gite in Cabrerets is very good - well-kept, clean and I was in a room with only two bunks (i.e. four people) and its own bathroom.

Be aware that the gite in Saint-Cirq-Lapopie has to be booked at least one day in advance. You will be given a key number and the keys are left in the gite. There is no-one in attendance when you arrive. The phone number is +33(0)565312151

I've been to Cahors a few times now and agree with Newfydog - the cathedral and the bridge are pretty special.

Hi Laurie & Julie
Thanks for sharing your itineraries & information.
Colin

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We love the Cele', but then, we also liked Cahors, with the hundred faces around the cathedral and the cool bridge with the devil watching from above. Hard to go wrong out there.

Hi, newfydog,
I had a rest day in Cahors years ago and I really didn't find anything to love about the city. I know this is all very subjective and snap-shot-ish, but I'd love to hear more about what it was about Cahors that drew you in.

And btw, I will also note that my stages were snails pace stages to accommodate all the members of our group, and I'm sure many people will want to walk longer distances, which is quite easy to do.

And p.s, the Cele Valley route joins with the GR65 before Cahors, so you will go through Cahors no matter which route you take.

Hi Laurie
Many thanks for all the information.
Hi Ralph,
Here are the stages I walked years ago when I took the Cele Valley detour, which I highly recommend:

Espagnac to Marcilhac (15 km) -- Chambres d'Hotes Michelle Menassol, Les Tilleuls; emailmichelle.menassol@wanadoo.fr 42 euros double room with breakfast (but this was 2004, mind you0

Marcilhac to Cabrerets (20 km) -- In my earlier post, I said we viewed the caves at Nasbinals, obviously my memory was wrong, the town is Cabrerets. We stayed at Hotel des Grottes, but I remember there was an albergue there. We visited the caves the next morning (I had made reservations in advance, which is a good idea, you can do it online,http://www.pechmerle.com

Cabrerets to St. Cirque (11 km) -- we finished the cave tour by noon or so, if memory serves, and then had a quick walk to this beautiful preserved old town. You actually get off the Camino at Bouzies, and then go out and back to St. Cirque, it's just a few kms off and well marked. Stayed in a place in town, Hotel Bar L'Auberge du Sombral

St. Cirques to Pasturac (18 km) -- Gite of Mr. and Mme. Chharazac, Pasturat, 46090 Aracambal, tel. 05-65-31-44-94. This was a lovely rural gite, we had a great outdoor meal here and very much enjoyed ourselves.

Pasturac to Cahors (22 km). We stayed at the hotel Terminus, I didn't really like Cahors at all. Here is where you rejoin the GR-65.

(pasted in from an old post on the topic). Actually, if you use the search function and just type in Cele Valley, you will find a number of threads on this topic. Here's one:

Good luck. Laurie
Hi Laurie.

Many thanks for the very useful information. You have convinced us to take the Valley Cele option We now have sufficient information to plan ahead.

Looking forward to the scenery and accommodation.

All the best and appreciate your detailed response.

Kind regards

Ralph

Hi newfydog

Thanks for your positive response.

All the best.

Ralph

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My stages at the end of the Valley of the Célé were different from Laurie's as I didn't go out and back to Saint-Cirq-Lapopie. If you continue on the GR36/46 you will rejoin the GR65 just before Bach. My last stages were:

Saint-Cirq-Lapopie - Vaylats (22.5 km). I stayed in the convent at Vaylats (phone number +33(0)565316351). It has a good atmosphere - not surprisingly, it is very quiet - and a communal meal.

Vaylats - Cahors (24 km). I've stayed in both the Foyer des Jeunes Travailleurs and the Foyer des Jeunes du Quercy and both are fine. My preference is for the latter simply because it is closer to the Cathedral.

Comparing my distances to Laurie's, my route is actually longer but I have an aversion to going out and back and also wanted to stay at the convent in Vaylats as I had done when I had walked the other way between Figeac and Cahors. The route to Vaylats is a detour but it is well-marked and you don't need to backtrack the next morning.

The communal gite in Cabrerets is very good - well-kept, clean and I was in a room with only two bunks (i.e. four people) and its own bathroom.

Be aware that the gite in Saint-Cirq-Lapopie has to be booked at least one day in advance. You will be given a key number and the keys are left in the gite. There is no-one in attendance when you arrive. The phone number is +33(0)565312151

I've been to Cahors a few times now and agree with Newfydog - the cathedral and the bridge are pretty special.

Hi Julie

Thank you.

Another great and informative response. Some goods tips as well.

Regards

Ralph

Last edited by a moderator:
The Cele Valley should be your only choice, the recommended troute is largely uninteresting and not especially pretty while Cele is isolated and particularly beautiful. Saint Cirq Lapopie? A very lovely place indeed -after- the many far too many tourists have left say 1630-1700 and the far too many tourist shops have closed. The municipal gite is just fine and the good restaurants there are the place for an evening splurge again, only after the buses have left.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Recommended stays at Cabreret with Christelle Peyron at Gite du Barry and eat in her restaurant. Best meal of god entire trip and not expensive. She is also an exceptionally kind young woman and runs a very efficient and comfortable establishment.

Also, Serge at les jacobins in Cahors. The Miam Miam Dodo guide has the variante in and is best for information on all services.

The Cele Valley should be your only choice, the recommended troute is largely uninteresting and not especially pretty while Cele is isolated and particularly beautiful. Saint Cirq Lapopie? A very lovely place indeed -after- the many far too many tourists have left say 1630-1700 and the far too many tourist shops have closed. The municipal gite is just fine and the good restaurants there are the place for an evening splurge again, only after the buses have left.
Hi scruffy.

Your comments are appreciated.

Hopefully but the time we reach the various villages, the hordes of tourists will be long gone.

We will definitely hike the Cele Valley option.

The advice received so far from everyone has been great.

Can't wait till we get there.

Regards

Ralph

Recommended stays at Cabreret with Christelle Peyron at Gite du Barry and eat in her restaurant. Best meal of god entire trip and not expensive. She is also an exceptionally kind young woman and runs a very efficient and comfortable establishment.

Also, Serge at les jacobins in Cahors. The Miam Miam Dodo guide has the variante in and is best for information on all services.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've spent a lot of time in the Cele valley, it's full of caves. I first came across the Camino by talking to walkers with strange shells dangling from their packs.

I love the ruins in Marcilhac, well worth wandering round. According to local legend strange heretical events happened there.

About a km or so before the village is a layby on the left. In summer dont be surprised to see it full of people in scuba gear. It is the entrance to one of the longest underwater caves in Europe.

Google the Emergence du Ressel, some of the pictures are spectacular. I was part of one of the big expeditions there many years ago and it's an amazing place. Hundreds of people pass by with no idea what is below their feet.

After reading the descriptions of the routes, I would definitely take the Célé route over the GR 65. But what about the detour to Rocamadour? Miam Miam Dodo makes it sound great, and the pictures of Rocamadour are interesting? And it's only 1.5 days more walking. Has anyone done this route? Recommendations?

Rocamadour is an easy side-trip from Figeac if you're up for a little tourism or distraction. By train!

I heard from folks who hiked it that the route is about as difficult as the early stages of the Le Puy route and the waymarking back from Rocamadour to the GR 65 is nonexistent.

Bill

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Staid with Gayle at the Saint Joseph Gite in Figeac - Gayle, a small group of pilgrims, and I did a daytrip to Rocamadour by train-the distance one way is about 60k. The train leaves before 0730 there is a marked 3-4k walk to the overlook above the abbey in Rocamadour, a circular walk through the village and then back up to the overlook and a train back all easily accomplished before 1500. Rocamadour is fabulous! very complicated collection of buildings, Black Madonna, don't forget your credencial since their stamp available in the tourist office is very nice, and yes heartily recommended however you choose to do it. There is an albergue for pilgrims run by the nuns there located at the very end of the main street before turning up the steps to the church-better info concerning accomdation at the tourist office of course.

Hi dalston999

sounds good to me, it's all on the 'to do list'

Thanks for the recommedations and tips

Regards

Ralph

Last edited:
I wouldn't miss Rocamadour. I've been going to the area for 16 years and still visit every time. There are also some lovely little churches. The crypt of the church in Caniac-Sur-Causse is a really special place for me. The tomb of St Namphaise is allegedly a cure for infertility if you crawl underneath. My girlfriend (who could not have children) and I both crawled under it. A year later she was pregnant.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
. The tomb of St Namphaise is allegedly a cure for infertility if you crawl underneath. My girlfriend (who could not have children) and I both crawled under it. A year later she was pregnant.

I don't want any details of what you did under there!

Hi Scruffy1.

I need your advice again please.

Is there a baggage pick up service, on a daily basis, that caters for Cele Valley pilgrimage. If so, which one?
Hope you can assist.
Regards

Ralph

I can't help with the luggage service pickup. Ask any of the people who run the gites in Figeac for a definite answer. Gayle at the St. Joseph gite is an especially helpful person write her directly here:
upload_2014-2-21_16-40-6.png

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Try:

Le transport de bagages et de personnes
- GROUPEMENT FACTAGE : Du Puy à Lectoure et variante du Célé : M. Chabalier, 04 71 06 17 26 ou 09 53 21 21 34,
www.factage.fr, factage@free.fr
De Lectoure Ă  Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port : M. Edel, 05 24 36 42 46, lebusmagique.e-monsite.com, lebusmagique@neuf.fr
- TAXI PAT : Les Barrières Basses FR-46500 ALVIGNAC, 06 86 18 71 55, taxi et minibus pour randonnées, transports de
bagages.

Try:

Le transport de bagages et de personnes
- GROUPEMENT FACTAGE : Du Puy à Lectoure et variante du Célé : M. Chabalier, 04 71 06 17 26 ou 09 53 21 21 34,
www.factage.fr, factage@free.fr
De Lectoure Ă  Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port : M. Edel, 05 24 36 42 46, lebusmagique.e-monsite.com, lebusmagique@neuf.fr
- TAXI PAT : Les Barrières Basses FR-46500 ALVIGNAC, 06 86 18 71 55, taxi et minibus pour randonnées, transports de
bagages.

Hi falcon269.

thank you for the information, extremely helpful.

Kind regards

Ralph

I can't help with the luggage service pickup. Ask any of the people who run the gites in Figeac for a definite answer. Gayle at the St. Joseph gite is an especially helpful person write her directly here:
View attachment 8356

Hi scruffy1.

I will make contact with Gayle.

Many thanks for your advice.

Regards

Ralph

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Scruffy1.

I need your advice again please.

Is there a baggage pick up service, on a daily basis, that caters for Cele Valley pilgrimage. If so, which one?
Hope you can assist.
Regards

Ralph
There was no baggage pick up, or taxi service (or even a bus, except the school bus) when we walked the Cele in 2011. Nor did we meet any other walkers on the route. But that is now a few years ago.

Hi Kanga,

great to hear from yoy again.

scruffy1 put me onto Gayle who lives in Figeac, she advices to::

try "la malle postale" they book to most of Caminos possibilities. mail: http://www.lamallepostale.com/.

This web-site has all the info for Cele Valley baggage transfer, and more ( they do most of the route from Le Puy to StJPD).

Regards

Ralph
Melbourne

Hi All

I have located accommodation at Montebonnet that is not listed in the Miam Miam guide - has anyone tried the:

CHAMBRE d’HOTE LA BABELOTTE

Chantal & Robert
Tel: 04 71 02 19 95 or 06 74 45 51 13
35€ person 50€ individual room.

chantal.constant1@sfr.fr
www.labarbelotte.com

Any good or bad news on this place, just pass the St Jaques bar in Montbonnet.

Regards

Ralph
Melbourne

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Ralph,

Good luck. Laurie

Hi Laurie - I'm considering doing the Cele Route and am just working out a rough itinerary at the moment - slightly confused by the

Can you explain this stage for me? Confused as to why you walked out and back to St Cirque etc... just not following :)

Hi, irishgurrl,
We wanted to have a short day from Cabrerets so that we could visit the caves at Peche Merle in the morning before we started to walk, and also so that we could have time to enjoy this beautiful little highly preserved town of St. Cirques way up high over the river. Then the next day, we walked from St. Cirques, back to where we joined the chemin at Bouzies, and then from there on to our next stage. Does that make sense?

Hi, irishgurrl,
We wanted to have a short day from Cabrerets so that we could visit the caves at Peche Merle in the morning before we started to walk, and also so that we could have time to enjoy this beautiful little highly preserved town of St. Cirques way up high over the river. Then the next day, we walked from St. Cirques, back to where we joined the chemin at Bouzies, and then from there on to our next stage. Does that make sense?

Aaaah I think I follow now! :) Thanks for clarifying :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thank you for all your recommendations and advice. On the Le Puy Route as I type and did the Cele Variante along the way. Absolutely stunning! :)

Thank you for all your recommendations and advice. On the Le Puy Route as I type and did the Cele Variante along the way. Absolutely stunning! :)
Did you visit the cave at peche Merle?
What did you think?
Are there many traveling?

Yes we visited the caves and it was very interesting with some fantastic drawings. I did giggle though at what they interpreted as drawings of the female form... stretching it a bit (in my opinion) but there ya go.

We didn't meet that many people at all on the Cele Route when we walked but there seemed to be a good few people staying in the hostels in the evenings... Accommodation generally and particularly cheap gite style accommodation is pretty limited along this route so it is worth booking a day or two (or more) ahead especially if you want to stay somewhere cheap to stay. For example the hostel in St Cirq Lapopie was complet when we phoned a day ahead so we decided to stay in Bouzies instead. Info on the Cele Route incl maps and lists of accommodation can be found in the Miam Miam Dodo.

We stayed in:
Espagnac St Eulalie... Communal gite... nice dorm rooms on ground and first floors.... make sure you've enough food for that evening and following day as the only restaurant in the village is not necessarily open every day.... the gite was complet the day we stayed there so they opened the restaurant up for us hungry randonneurs especially!

Marcilhac sur Cele... Gite d'etape Accueil St Pierre... ask for a bed on 2nd floor if you don't want bunkbeds. Really nice place in centre of town.

Cabrerets... Gite du Barry... really nice owner who owns the restaurant next door (it has a lovely big terrace/deck to sit out while you have your drinks/meal).

St Cirq Lapopie.... didn't stay there but people recommend the Communal hostel.... was full when we tried to book....

Pasturat..... this is on the GR36 on the way to Cahors... we stayed at Gite Le Relais de Pasturat... nice gite with a lovely garden :)

By the way... the walk between Espagnac and Marcilhac sur Cele was my favourite stretch along this variante... absolutely stunning views... you walk up high on to Le Cause (plateau on top of the 'mountain') and walk along narrow paths with stunning views all around.. very special :)

The peche merle caves are on the next stage about 1km (after a steep climb out of the village).. aim to get there by 9:30am if you can to be in the first tour group. Pre booking recommended in high season.

Still on camino here taking a well earned rest day but won't be accessing the internet much between now and the end of the month... any questions I'll try to get to when I return to Ireland...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Irishgurrrl.
I am sure you must be nearly or finished your Le Puy camino can't wait to hear all your advice on accommodation and general experience... did you do any other variants besides Cele valley. Did you go to Ramacadour.
I have the latest MMDD guide book but it takes some getting used to the layout and maps after the John Bierley guides for other routes.
Cheers

I walked the Cele-route in 2010, but I think there has been a lot of good information on that here now. What I want to comment is the detour to Rocamadour. As long as I have seen everybody has taken the train to Rocamadour. You can walk! It is a nice walk! We left Figeac and walked the first day to Lacapelle Marival with Cardaillac on the way (one of the “most beautiful villages in France"). The second day we walked to Gramat, and came to Rocamadour the third day. Well worth a visit and nice to come there on our own feet. The fourth day we walked to Labastide Murat. The plan was to walk to Vers the day after that and then return to Figeac by bus to continue on the Cele-route. It ended up in another way, but that is another history. The plan was good... This detour is recommended. We had no problem finding our way. Bjorg

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back