• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

VDLP 2022

sicada123

Time of past OR future Camino
First Camino francais Sept/Oct (2016)
Second Camino Niort Sept/Oct (2018)
VdlP Sept/Oct (2020)
Hi

Decision time...................after numerous delays due to Covid. I have decided to bite the bullet and start Via de la Plata from Seville mid February 2022. this was first planned just as Covid hit.

My rationale is that the weather from Seville will be comfortable enough and as time goes on, the more northerly regions will become warmer.

It will still be a Holy Year so I anticipate that there will be a lot of "break out" pilgrims hitting all routes. I really don't fancy joining the throngs of people descending on Santiago in the popular months, especially the last 200 km.

I am hoping that the infrastructure will open up sufficiently to make it all manageable, especially albergues and eating establishments. This will be my third Camino after the France and Norte and there is little doubt it will be the most challenging.

By starting in Mid February, I anticipate completing by end of March and dodging all the bed chasing later in the main season which will be inevitable with possible limits on albergue occupancy still in place. I don't want to be forced in to more expensive hotels which cumulatively could be prohibitive

The challenge will be to travel when the weather is comfortable, allow sufficient time to complete the VDLP in reasonable time, it will be great to meet other pilgrims along the way but the VDLP has a reputation for being a lonely route, I anticipate additional numbers during 2022 because of Holy Year and I guess there might be others with similar views to me that want to avoid excessive crowds and bed chasing whilst at the same time travelling safe mindful of continuing Covid restrictions.

Tiredness and blisters I guess will become travelling companions, as I write, the world is waking up to Omicron virus variant which is something that may have an impact going forward? I sense there are many people out there with pent up frustrations who just can't wait to get out there and complete their next long awaited Camino.

Now on with booking my flight from U.K to Seville and accommodation at Triana Backpackers

To all those on, or contemplating doing a Camino 2021/22 Good luck God bless.

Sicada 123

Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Sicada
I wish you a buen Camino.
I will start the VDLP on march 9 th next year from Sevilla.
I will be a month behind you starting on April 8th, God and Covid willing. Maybe will see some live threads form you. Buen Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi

Decision time...................after numerous delays due to Covid. I have decided to bite the bullet and start Via de la Plata from Seville mid February 2022. this was first planned just as Covid hit.

My rationale is that the weather from Seville will be comfortable enough and as time goes on, the more northerly regions will become warmer.

It will still be a Holy Year so I anticipate that there will be a lot of "break out" pilgrims hitting all routes. I really don't fancy joining the throngs of people descending on Santiago in the popular months, especially the last 200 km.

I am hoping that the infrastructure will open up sufficiently to make it all manageable, especially albergues and eating establishments. This will be my third Camino after the France and Norte and there is little doubt it will be the most challenging.

By starting in Mid February, I anticipate completing by end of March and dodging all the bed chasing later in the main season which will be inevitable with possible limits on albergue occupancy still in place. I don't want to be forced in to more expensive hotels which cumulatively could be prohibitive

The challenge will be to travel when the weather is comfortable, allow sufficient time to complete the VDLP in reasonable time, it will be great to meet other pilgrims along the way but the VDLP has a reputation for being a lonely route, I anticipate additional numbers during 2022 because of Holy Year and I guess there might be others with similar views to me that want to avoid excessive crowds and bed chasing whilst at the same time travelling safe mindful of continuing Covid restrictions.

Tiredness and blisters I guess will become travelling companions, as I write, the world is waking up to Omicron virus variant which is something that may have an impact going forward? I sense there are many people out there with pent up frustrations who just can't wait to get out there and complete their next long awaited Camino.

Now on with booking my flight from U.K to Seville and accommodation at Triana Backpackers

Sicada 123

Buen Camino
I wish you well as you prepare for your upcoming Camino. I will start in Seville on April 8th if all goes well. You will likely be in Santiago by then. Buen Camino.

Hi

Sicada 123

Buen Camino
There is a lot going on in your mind, before you literally are on your next Camino!
Maybe you can let some things go and find confidence in things...?!
By starting in mid February in Sevilla you can expect further north, on the Sanabrés, snow (it's not getting warmer, the further north you walk).

"Let everything happen to you. Beauty and terror. Just keep going. No feeling is final." Rainer Maria Rilke

enjoy your Way

There is a lot going on in your mind, before you literally are on your next Camino!
Maybe you can let some things go and find confidence in things...?!
By starting in mid February in Sevilla you can expect further north, on the Sanabrés, snow (it's not getting warmer, the further north you walk).

"Let everything happen to you. Beauty and terror. Just keep going. No feeling is final." Rainer Maria Rilke

enjoy your Way
Hi Rainer

Thank you for your comments, all snippets of information are useful and I will make sure I have enough layers for whatever is out there. Time is getting close and the preparation is going well. Really looking forward to getting out there and then, it is one step at a time.

Take care, stay safe

Sicada

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I wish you well as you prepare for your upcoming Camino. I will start in Seville on April 8th if all goes well. You will likely be in Santiago by then. Buen Camino.
Hi Mary C

Thank you for your good wishes. preparation going well and it will soon be time to set out on Camino to Santiago. Looking forward to being outdoors and a daily change of scenery.

Good luck with your Camino from Seville to Santiago, I am sure it will be fulfilling.

Buen Camino

Sicada

Hi Sicada
I wish you a buen Camino.
I will start the VDLP on march 9 th next year from Sevilla.
Hi Noud

Thank you for your good wishes. Almost time and really looking forward to getting out there. The VDLP will be challenging for someone of my age but I have the time and an open return date.

Good luck with your plans for Camino starting 9th March.

Buen Camino

Sicada

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Noud

Thank you for your good wishes. Almost time and really looking forward to getting out there. The VDLP will be challenging for someone of my age but I have the time and an open return date.

Good luck with your plans for Camino starting 9th March.

Buen Camino

Sicada
Hi,
I don't know your age (I am 67; walked VdlP when I was 57), but the VdlP has a couple of challenging distances at the very start: Pay attention to them. This is a mostly flatt, "dull" camino, but nevertheless a great walk. Adequate infrastructure for a camino.

I really enjoyed the town of Merida, a week or so from Sevilla, with its Roman remains, being a retirement home/town for Roman legionaires (soldiers) 2000 years ago:

But there is much more to see on the VdlP...

Like you, I am retired and have plenty of time, and I never book my home flight before I'm done. Way to go.

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back