• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vdlp April 2022

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Good luck mate…..hello from Newfoundland. I walked the Frances in 2019 (life changer)……am booked to repeat in May/June this year…..booked and cancelled in 2020, cancelled again in 2021….. desperate to get back. Hopefully onto the Norte in 2023 but who knows? Buen Camino !

leaving Sevillia 9th April on VDLP. Still a bit concerned about what will be open, how hot will it be and how solitary
Bill
I set off from Sevilla on 7th April in 2019.
Weather was great. You’ll still get some cool mornings but you 'shouldn't?" be too worried about it being too hot in early April. I was fortunate then to experience Semana Santa in a few of the smaller villages along the way .. really connects you to the village and others......and a really great experience in Mérida. Holy Week this year 2022 - is 10 April - 16 April... so you will be walking around the same time.

I hope things are a little more normal again in respect of numbers walking but I think starting around Holy Week.. there will be a good tide of pilgrims.
I set out alone but by day 2, I was encountering other pilgrims. I sometimes stayed with another walker from time to time or joined some when dining. I tend to walk at my pace and this sometimes means I join another or others as I go as walking alone means you can decide to cut it short or go further depending how the days plays out... It was a wonderful camino., you will walk through lots of bushes of 'Jara' (rock rose).. and depending how early the warm weather starts - the poppies will be getting to be thicker further along.

Enjoy and buen camino
Annie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello, Bill from Tasmania. 2019 was meant to be El Norte. So 2 years on, triple vaxed Australians are allowed to travel again. So now booked and leaving Sevillia 9th April on VDLP. Still a bit concerned about what will be open, how hot will it be and how solitary. 😏 Buen Camino
I also have my concerns but trust that things will work out. I will be starting a day ahead of you and maybe we'll cross paths at some point. Buen Camino and awesome that you're allowed to travel outside of Australia now!!

Bill
I set off from Sevilla on 7th April in 2019.
Weather was great. You’ll still get some cool mornings but you 'shouldn't?" be too worried about it being too hot in early April. I was fortunate then to experience Semana Santa in a few of the smaller villages along the way .. really connects you to the village and others......and a really great experience in Mérida. Holy Week this year 2022 - is 10 April - 16 April... so you will be walking around the same time.

I hope things are a little more normal again in respect of numbers walking but I think starting around Holy Week.. there will be a good tide of pilgrims.
I set out alone but by day 2, I was encountering other pilgrims. I sometimes stayed with another walker from time to time or joined some when dining. I tend to walk at my pace and this sometimes means I join another or others as I go as walking alone means you can decide to cut it short or go further depending how the days plays out... It was a wonderful camino., you will walk through lots of bushes of 'Jara' (rock rose).. and depending how early the warm weather starts - the poppies will be getting to be thicker further along.

Enjoy and buen camino
Annie
Thank you Annie. I have been a little concerned about the lack of fellow pilgrims on the camino. When I walked from Lisbon in 2019 very often I was the sole walker. I missed the company. So, fingers crossed and no expectations. Just let the Way work in what ever way it does.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello, Bill from Tasmania. 2019 was meant to be El Norte. So 2 years on, triple vaxed Australians are allowed to travel again. So now booked and leaving Sevillia 9th April on VDLP. Still a bit concerned about what will be open, how hot will it be and how solitary. 😏 Buen Camino
Hi

Hi..Michael here..I've walked the VDLP from Sept in 43 days and found the most difficult thing was the water supply..there were some stages that I had to carry 4 lts from start as no where to top up enroute..very heavy those xtra kgs..so my advice pack light and check route for available top ups..An amazing experience and loved it..Been Camino

Hi..Michael here..I've walked the VDLP from Sept in 43 days and found the most difficult thing was the water supply..there were some stages that I had to carry 4 lts from start as no where to top up enroute..very heavy those xtra kgs..so my advice pack light and check route for available top ups..An amazing experience and loved it..Been Camino
Hi there Nettle, Can you check water supplies or available fountains before one starts, are they listed on maps etc,. thanking you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi there Nettle, Can you check water supplies or available fountains before one starts, are they listed on maps etc,. thanking you.
The VdlP is not like the CF: Long distances, often with nothing in between. Therefore, plan your days: Check weather/temperature forecast before you start each day, always top up water at every opportunity, Know how much you need to drink, have some food in your pack, etc.

Also toying with the idea of a April 3-24 2022 VdlP Seville to Zamora. Let’s see how the Omicron situation develops…

Thank you Annie. I have been a little concerned about the lack of fellow pilgrims on the camino. When I walked from Lisbon in 2019 very often I was the sole walker. I missed the company. So, fingers crossed and no expectations. Just let the Way work in what ever way it does.
Bill..you are exactly a year in front of my wife and I...all set to walk same time in '23. Hopefully, if you get time, you'll be able to provide a bit of a sitrep on your travels on the VdlP here. Safe travels mate and Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hey @Bill, if companionship is a important thing for you this time, then rather shouldn't count on it, if you walk the VDLP.
Based on my experiences is "She" mainly frequented by experienced pilgrims who walk most of the time alone and even harder to find someone with the same pace.

nevertheless I participate with your lovely attitude:
"Just let the Way work in what ever way it does."

@Nettle indeed there are long stretches without water. i (at the time drinker and 39 years old) carried mostly 2liters sometimes 3liters (walked late may) and it worked for me.
It's a bit a individual thing, depending on your personal health condition (age, (over)weight, diabetes or if you sweat a lot, etc.) and given the circumstances.
It takes a while though to dehydration and often underestimated is the mineral deficiency, if you sweat a lot - electrolytes!

but "She" is unique, beautiful and I worship her!

Dennis

Last edited:
Hi Bill, I am also from Tassie and will start after Easter around 18/19, May see you on the way. Buen camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Bill, things going to plan I’ll be departing Brisbane circa 19 April to leave from Merida... I walked the Seville to Merida section before a Francés (no. 3) in late September 2018. I’m thinking there may be a few more on the track...maybe... making up for the last two years.
Busan Camino!

Hi Bill, things going to plan I’ll be departing Brisbane circa 19 April to leave from Merida... I walked the Seville to Merida section before a Francés (no. 3) in late September 2018. I’m thinking there may be a few more on the track...maybe... making up for the last two years.
Busan Camino!
Hi Loulou,
I'm looking forward to exploring Merida. May see you there or on the Way. Buen Camino.

Hi..what I found as the best yardstick for advice was to as the Albergue people about the route ahead each day and make a judgement on their knowledge..The VDLP is beautiful but tough for that very reason that on some days there are no water top up facilities ..some days when it was really hot like 1st few days walking from Seville it was 40 Deg we had to leave the trail to ask local farm house to top up our water as we had consumed 4 ltrs each..

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
What time of year was this Nettle?

Just come off the VDLP (Seville/Caceres) and use Open Cycle maps (see blue taps in pic) as they show the water fountains you might need. Sorry to say the two times I went looking for water, the tap was either turned off or the access was blocked.

Travelling early in the year meant that water was not really an issue but it will be later in the year so have that (and accommodation) high up in your plans.

Attachments

• Water_at_Santiponce.jpg
    Water_at_Santiponce.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 9

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back