• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

VDLP April 18, 2022 Start (From Vancouver Island)

Nada J

Time of past OR future Camino
(2009)(2018)
Having walked the entire Camino Frances on my own twice (2009 + 2018) including to Finisterre and Muxia, and after much reflection, soul searching and research, I have decided to walk the VDLP. There is something about walking 1,000 kms that has beckoned me...what a nice round number! My only concern is how lonely it might be as I loved the camaraderie that I experienced on the Camino Frances. It brought me so much joy to meet and form attachments with people from all over the world. But perhaps because of pent-up Camino surge, it might be okay and starting on April 18 will be perfect. I have booked an hotel in the historic centre of Seville for 4 nights at Easter and being in Seville at this time of year will be magical. Then the walk begins on April 18. It will be possible to join the Camino Frances at Astorga and walk the familiar route if I so desire. But I believe that the Camino provides what you need when you most need it, so the path will be my guide for what is right for me. I have given myself plenty of time to spend extra time in Merida, Salamanca and other historic places along the way as my flight to Vancouver departs from London Heathrow on June 7. Being an avid world traveller, this will be an exciting way and nourishing way to celebrate my release from Covid travel restrictions!!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
After walking the Camino Frances 4 times, and the Ingles and Portugues, I walked the Via de la Plata in April/May 2019 from Seville to Santiago de Compostela, via the Sanabres route. For the first week or so I was uncertain about whether the VdlP was for me. But after that, I settled in and grew to love this Camino route above all the others! The villages, the cities of Merida, Caceres, Salamanca, & Ourense, the landscape, the history, the solitude, the challenge, the lifetime friendships made, the sense of pilgrimage.....it all came together into a beautiful journey! And yes, there is something very rewarding about accomplishing a 1,000 km walk!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Having walked the entire Camino Frances on my own twice (2009 + 2018) including to Finisterre and Muxia, and after much reflection, soul searching and research, I have decided to walk the VDLP. There is something about walking 1,000 kms that has beckoned me...what a nice round number! My only concern is how lonely it might be as I loved the camaraderie that I experienced on the Camino Frances. It brought me so much joy to meet and form attachments with people from all over the world. But perhaps because of pent-up Camino surge, it might be okay and starting on April 18 will be perfect. I have booked an hotel in the historic centre of Seville for 4 nights at Easter and being in Seville at this time of year will be magical. Then the walk begins on April 18. It will be possible to join the Camino Frances at Astorga and walk the familiar route if I so desire. But I believe that the Camino provides what you need when you most need it, so the path will be my guide for what is right for me. I have given myself plenty of time to spend extra time in Merida, Salamanca and other historic places along the way as my flight to Vancouver departs from London Heathrow on June 7. Being an avid world traveller, this will be an exciting way and nourishing way to celebrate my release from Covid travel restrictions!!
I will be a little behind you. Arriving the 20th and start walking the 22nd. We have the same time frame as I fly out on June 9th. I also, want to have some extra days built in to see some sights. Maybe our paths will cross depending on how things go. Buen camino!

After walking the Camino Frances 4 times, and the Ingles and Portugues, I walked the Via de la Plata in April/May 2019 from Seville to Santiago de Compostela, via the Sanabres route. For the first week or so I was uncertain about whether the VdlP was for me. But after that, I settled in and grew to love this Camino route above all the others! The villages, the cities of Merida, Caceres, Salamanca, & Ourense, the landscape, the history, the solitude, the challenge, the lifetime friendships made, the sense of pilgrimage.....it all came together into a beautiful journey! And yes, there is something very rewarding about accomplishing a 1,000 km walk!
Thanks for this input. I went back and forth trying to decide on a route. This makes me happy to hear and I am really looking forward to this camino. It has been a while.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We may see you as well.

Hoping to be released from Prison Australia sometime in late March / April next year. Hoping also to return after our VDLP is completed!

(For those who don't know, most Australians were until recently almost prohibited from leaving and / or returning to Australia since the pandemic began. The wealthy and famous, of course, didn't have any trouble coming and going but the rest of us ordinary folk..... Rant over! Feeling better I am!!)

VDLP, wow! Looking forward to it and looking forward to meeting some of you as well

Buen Camino

I'm also starting from Seville around the 20th April after my week in Scotland to visit family. I have an Easyjet voucher to Madrid and haven't yet booked that flight. My Perth flight is booked for 9th April so fingers crossed.

I will be a little behind you. Arriving the 20th and start walking the 22nd. We have the same time frame as I fly out on June 9th. I also, want to have some extra days built in to see some sights. Maybe our paths will cross depending on how things go. Buen camino!

Thanks for this input. I went back and forth trying to decide on a route. This makes me happy to hear and I am really looking forward to this camino. It has been a while.
We may see you too. Three (maybe more) of us leaving Seville 22nd. Arriving from Australia on 20th. We are staying Hotel Simon in Seville We are planning to go via Sanabres to SDC.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We may see you as well.

Hoping to be released from Prison Australia sometime in late March / April next year. Hoping also to return after our VDLP is completed!

(For those who don't know, most Australians were until recently almost prohibited from leaving and / or returning to Australia since the pandemic began. The wealthy and famous, of course, didn't have any trouble coming and going but the rest of us ordinary folk..... Rant over! Feeling better I am!!)

VDLP, wow! Looking forward to it and looking forward to meeting some of you as well

Buen Camino
I will also be looking to get out of Oz, and walking the via de la Plate most likely starting on the 22nd of April. With luck this will let those walking after easter get a head start and may be less on the road. I did this on the Frances in 2018 and the initial rush was in front of me. Buen Camino, we may even cross paths for a vino or 2.

Sounds like April is Aussie month on Via de la Plata. I have a busy morning from before dawn onwards playing bagpipes on Anzac Day, and am booked to fly out that night, arriving in Sevilla via Madrid on the 26th. A day to enjoy Sevilla and start walking on the 28th.
Unfortunately I can't get a long enough leave pass to walk it all in one go, so I'm just planning to go as far as Salamanca this time. Hope to finish it either later this year or in 2023 (in time for my 75th birthday hehe).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi! You and I are fortunate to have good walking conditions through most of the winter, so we can train.

You might want to go to this thread and add your information in a post, so moderators can add your name to the list at the top.

Good people miss out on starting at the coast - big time!

Do you?

Ultreia🙏🏼

Having walked the entire Camino Frances on my own twice (2009 + 2018) including to Finisterre and Muxia, and after much reflection, soul searching and research, I have decided to walk the VDLP. There is something about walking 1,000 kms that has beckoned me...what a nice round number! My only concern is how lonely it might be as I loved the camaraderie that I experienced on the Camino Frances. It brought me so much joy to meet and form attachments with people from all over the world. But perhaps because of pent-up Camino surge, it might be okay and starting on April 18 will be perfect. I have booked an hotel in the historic centre of Seville for 4 nights at Easter and being in Seville at this time of year will be magical. Then the walk begins on April 18. It will be possible to join

the Camino Frances at Astorga and walk the familiar route if I so desire. But I believe that the Camino provides what you need when you most need it, so the path will be my guide for what is right for me. I have given myself plenty of time to spend extra time in Merida, Salamanca and other historic places along the way as my flight to Vancouver departs from London Heathrow on June 7. Being an avid world traveller, this will be an exciting way and nourishing way to celebrate my release from Covid travel restrictions!!

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.