• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

VDLP guide

Colette Z

Happy Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
CF; Norte; Ingles; Augustine; Portugues Central
I’m looking for the most recent WisePilgrim guide book + Ap for the VDLP. I was certain a new one should be available in January 2019. Does anyone know more? Are preorders being taken? I really liked the El Norte Ap. Nothing for the VDLP is on sale on the Ivar store page. Thanks.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think the one presently in the App Store is a couple of years old GK lastest has not yet been published, he did mention Jan 2019.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I’m looking for the most recent WisePilgrim guide book + Ap for the VDLP. I was certain a new one should be available in January 2019. Does anyone know more? Are preorders being taken? I really liked the El Norte Ap. Nothing for the VDLP is on sale on the Ivar store page. Thanks.

Michael has not yet published his paper version of the Guide to the Camino de la Plata. It is in development now. When it is published, I am certain Ivar will feature it in the shop at Casa Ivar...

In the meanwhile, the smartphone app is available online. However, the app is two years old. At least my copy is, and I keep my apps updated and current at all times.

My understanding is that Michael is focusing on getting the needed information and updates to release the updated apps and roll out the first ever printed VdlP Guide.

Remember, the VdlP is a LONG Camino, over 1,000 km. This is longer than the Frances at 799 km. So there is a LOT of information to be obtained, sorted, arranged and maintained as current.

We must all be patient. I too am awaiting this material.

Hope this helps.

Michael has not yet published his paper version of the Guide to the Camino de la Plata. It is in development now. When it is published, I am certain Ivar will feature it in the shop at Casa Ivar...

In the meanwhile, the smartphone app is available online. However, the app is two years old. At least my copy is, and I keep my apps updated and current at all times.

My understanding is that Michael is focusing on getting the needed information and updates to release the updated apps and roll out the first ever printed VdlP Guide.

Remember, the VdlP is a LONG Camino, over 1,000 km. This is longer than the Frances at 799 km. So there is a LOT of information to be obtained, sorted, arranged and maintained as current.

We must all be patient. I too am awaiting this material.

Hope this helps.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed to get it before I start the end of February. Otherwise I’ve got a lot of info and other apps but I do prefer WisePilgrim.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
So do I. I think IMHO, that the Wise Pilgrim Guides and their Wisely digital counterparts are the best Camino guides out there.

I have no commercial involvement or financial attachment. However, I am a friend of the developer. This notwithstanding, a good idea or concept is good, regardless.

These guides are concise, factual, and current (VdlP aside).

Hope this helps.

I think the one presently in the App Store is a couple of years old GK lastest has not yet been published, he did mention Jan 2019.
The GK 2019 Edition is now available on the Confraternity of St James website and is currently discounted to £6.99.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The GK 2019 Edition is now available on the Confraternity of St James website and is currently discounted to £6.99.

Hmmmm?
Just looked at the CSJ site.
I found the GK 2019 edition.
I'm confused now.
I have the GK 2016 edition which clearly says "Second Edition".
The 2019 edition also says "Second Edition".

Am I missing something?

Buen (correct book edition) Camino

Hmmmm?
I'm confused now.

Am I missing something?

Hope you are not missing something as I have just ordered one with hopefully the very latest information - I start on the 22 March.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Gerald Kelly's guide is good imo,I have the 2015 edition and used it last year for the second time.
I also took the Amigos guide obtained at Hotel Simon in Seville.

So do I. I think IMHO, that the Wise Pilgrim Guides and their Wisely digital counterparts are the best Camino guides out there.

I have no commercial involvement or financial attachment. However, I am a friend of the developer. This notwithstanding, a good idea or concept is good, regardless.

These guides are concise, factual, and current (VdlP aside).

Hope this helps.
Are these apps compatible with Android phones or just i phones. I was a little confused when looking on line and following the threads. Perhaps, as a fully paid up member of the Luddites, I should stick to the paper guide!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Are these apps compatible with Android phones or just i phones. I was a little confused when looking on line and following the threads. Perhaps, as a fully paid up member of the Luddites, I should stick to the paper guide!

I think compared to the young ones today, we are all Luddites 🤣

Last edited:

They are also available in the online place you download Android apps from. If you go to www.Wisepilgrim.com, you should find a link to the appropriate store Apple or Android...

Hope this helps.

Hmmmm?
I'm confused now.

Am I missing something?

For what it's worth, Gerald Kelly was walking the VdlP this past spring, in order to update his guide.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi

Just to clear up the confusion about my Via de la Plata guide.

The Second Edition was released in late 2016. I called it Second Edition because it was a total rewrite of the First Edition. The latest version now is the 2019 Edition of the Second Edition. I agree it's a bit confusing, probably better to just call it the 2019 Edition, but I wanted to distinguish between a completely new version and an incremental update.

The 2019 Edition is available on Amazon and on the CSJ website, and should be in Ivar's online shop soon

It's also available as an Android app with iPhone on the way.

Best wishes!
Gerald

For what it's worth, Gerald Kelly was walking the VdlP this past spring, in order to update his guide.

Unfortunately, I only got to walk part of the Via last spring. I just came back from a short trip this week and will be there again in the New Year. It will be easier for me from now on because I'm living semi-permanently in Seville.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Unfortunately, I only got to walk part of the Via last spring. I just came back from a short trip this week and will be there again in the New Year. It will be easier for me from now on because I'm living semi-permanently in Seville.

I like the “living semi-permanently” in Seville. I am In search of a place in Spain to call my “second home” and was drawn to the VDLP as part of my search. Anyways, thank you for the Camino guidebooks, they seem like a huge endeavour.

After walking the Primitivo/Del Norte last year, Spain is on my short list of places to settle permanently in retirement! Hopefully doing the VdlP next fall will help me decide if Spain or Colombia wins my heart!

Hello - I used an app called Silver Way (this is a playstore link... it's available on apple too) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alethiasoftware.viaplata19feb&hl=en

I paid for the premium version and it was really great. I also used Gronze and mundicamino http://www.mundicamino.com/los-caminos/... and I had a kindle version of Gerald Kelly's book... each of them were useful but my favourite was def. the Silver Way app.

I blogged whilst I walked... I lost my heart to the Via de la Plata... not sure anything will ever feel as wonderful... but I keep trying :D https://caminobrassblog.wordpress.com/2016/09/20/bordeaux-pizza-goodbyes/

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello - I used an app called Silver Way (this is a playstore link... it's available on apple too) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alethiasoftware.viaplata19feb&hl=en

I paid for the premium version and it was really great. I also used Gronze and mundicamino http://www.mundicamino.com/los-caminos/... and I had a kindle version of Gerald Kelly's book... each of them were useful but my favourite was def. the Silver Way app.

I blogged whilst I walked... I lost my heart to the Via de la Plata... not sure anything will ever feel as wonderful... but I keep trying :Dhttps://caminobrassblog.wordpress.com/2016/09/20/bordeaux-pizza-goodbyes/

Thanks @LesBrass. The reviews for the Silver Way App don’t appear very positive. Most comment that the GPS map doesn’t indicate actuallly where one is so I’m wondering if you could share what you found good about it. KR

@Colette Z - I have to be honest I never used the GPS so I cant help with that. I found the route descriptions and photos really helpful... and the distance/elevation/town info. Apart from a couple of times I didn't ever feel we needed GPS. I do remember a couple of occasions where we were unsure but we always seem to figure it out :) When we hit the diversions for the high speed train we did get lost and that was the only time we reverted to google maps to try and find our way back to a road... but the weather was foul on that day and that contributed.

Not sure how much that helps :) but either way oh the VdlP is fabulous! Have a great walk!

Thanks @LesBrass. The reviews for the Silver Way App don’t appear very positive. Most comment that the GPS map doesn’t indicate actuallly where one is so I’m wondering if you could share what you found good about it. KR
I didn't walk VdlP yet but I know that much that I wouldn't set my phone on blimping every time I'd go 100 meters off the GPS track. It's just part of the route.
Today I finished watching vlogs series about walking CDT (Continental Divide Trail) and I can tell you Spanish Caminos (even those less walked) are actually strolls in a park. What I want to say is that, yes be prepared but don't let all these info "ruin" or determine your walk too much. Just walk. Be in the moment. Enjoy it.

And maybe curse me for this suggestion :D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi

Just to clear up the confusion about my Via de la Plata guide.

The Second Edition was released in late 2016. I called it Second Edition because it was a total rewrite of the First Edition. The latest version now is the 2019 Edition of the Second Edition. I agree it's a bit confusing, probably better to just call it the 2019 Edition, but I wanted to distinguish between a completely new version and an incremental update.

The 2019 Edition is available on Amazon and on the CSJ website, and should be in Ivar's online shop soon

It's also available as an Android app with iPhone on the way.

Best wishes!
Gerald

Thanks Gerald.

I didn't walk VdlP yet but I know that much that I wouldn't set my phone on blimping every time I'd go 100 meters off the GPS track. It's just part of the route.
Today I finished watching vlogs series about walking CDT (Continental Divide Trail) and I can tell you Spanish Caminos (even those less walked) are actually strolls in a park. What I want to say is that, yes be prepared but don't let all these info "ruin" or determine your walk too much. Just walk. Be in the moment. Enjoy it.

And maybe curse me for this suggestion :D
Yes I agree that the Camino is a “stroll in the park” vs the backpacking PCT, ACT, CDT, etc 🙄 however as a woman walking alone it’s a comfort to have a tracking app that works just in case one takes a wrong path.....yes yes I turn back if I don’t see a flecha amarilla but still....having a good app such as Wise Pilgrim is a tool.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.