• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To guide book or not to guide book?

davejsy

Walked the Camino Francés for SSD UK 2023
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2023 sept/Oct
Primitivo July 2024
Hello all :)
I appreciate this is probably something that gets asked a lot, but I did a search and nothing recent came up (with my limited technical knowledge).
So I keep swaying between taking a guidebook and not taking a guidebook. I have no issues with the route as it is obviously well-marked. What I would be interested in though is the variation of routes in places, and the historical/points of interest along the way. Also, the thought of lying on my bunk thumbing through a guidebook is quite appealing, and having sat on the shelf at home afterward and maybe even passing it on to someone else.
So the weight issue is what puts me off getting one (plus cost to a lesser degree), and the fact that most stuff you can find online, albeit the book would have it all in one place. I thought I'd solve my dilemma (weight-wise but apparently not cost-wise) by getting the Kindle version of the Brierley one on my phone but having downloaded the "try before you buy" first few pages, it is far from easy to use on a telephone.
What are other people's thoughts/experiences/opinions?
Thank you,
Dave :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I haven't used a guidebook on the Caminos for years now. All the practical information I need is available online and if I want more detailed historical or cultural information then it is usually easy enough to find. I tend to focus more on walking than sightseeing when on my Camino journeys and I am not really worried about missing someone else's idea of a "must see" place. I'm happy to take things as they come and enjoy the odd surprises along the way.

I have lots of guide books at home for research purposes, but I rarely read them to be honest.
I find the text too small on most! :rolleyes:

I do most of my research by reading blogs and watching videos.
There are some great 'virtual' camino threads on here too.

I have a lot of guidebooks on my phone, kindle versions, but again I rarely look at them.
Most of them are too fiddly to use, for me at least.

What I do use all the time are three things:

The Gronze website, to plan my distances a day or two ahead, to look at the route profile, to review accomodation options, to get accommodation contact details and finally, to download a GPS track for the coming days. The Gronze site gives me exactly what I need, in a simple format with no frills. It even has descriptions of the route and photos.

Then I use Maps.me to open the GPS tracks from Gronze. Again it's very easy to use and clearly shows me where I am, where the Camino track is, and I can also look at places and things along the route. I tried Wikiloc which is very popular, but I found it overly complicated to use. It kept beeping at me and telling me I was walking in the wrong direction! (like 180 degrees wrong) Maps.me is much easier to use. Again it gives you what you need, not loads of stuff you don't need.

And finally I use Google Maps! This is great to look at the towns and villages I'm passing through to search for bars, cafes etc. As it also shows the opening hours...... When coming into a town or village I'll also use google maps to find my accomodation. Though I can do that on maps.me as well.

So whilst I also have a few guidebooks on my phone whilst walking, I hardly look at them, if ever.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
... What I would be interested in though is the variation of routes in places, and the historical/points of interest along the way. Also, the thought of lying on my bunk thumbing through a guidebook is quite appealing, and having sat on the shelf at home afterward and maybe even passing it on to someone else.
Thank you,
Hi Dave

Interesting question. Wants and needs are two different things. On the Frances, you could easily get by without 'guidance' of any sort - whether that's a paper book, an e-book, or an app. You don't need any of those - and as @Bradypus says, you can find plenty of information online.

At the same time, I can understand the appeal of 'lying on my bunk thumbing through a guidebook ... etc'. I have often done just that. I'm fairly technically savvy - and comfortable using my phone for all manner of things. I write a blog for every camino, as a keepsake and to share with family and friends. But on the many paths we've walked, if there's been a slim guidebook available, I've taken that too and not regretted it. How do I use it? I thumb through as you describe to get a feel for the next day ... I mark the accommodation where we end up staying, and maybe even write a comment or two. I like having the keepsakes and I've lent them to others.

So, do you need a paper guide book - NO. But if you think you'd enjoy having one, at the time and/or later - why not? The Brierley slim version for the Frances is lightweight. If you change your mind along the Way, you can always 'donate' it at an albergue.

Buen Camino.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I'd solve my dilemma (weight-wise but apparently not cost-wise) by getting the Kindle version of the Brierley one on my phone but having downloaded the "try before you buy" first few pages, it is far from easy to use on a telephone.
Thank you,

I do love the Brierley Guides if only for the maps!
On my first camino I took the fold out stage maps on the cover with me, to make notes on.

Actually another Forum member I met on the VdlP this year had a great idea.
She had printed out the Gronze stage maps, 4 to a page, double sided on A4.

And gave me a copy! Many Thanks again L.

It was perfect for planning daily stages, making notes about accommodation etc etc.
I would call ahead a day or two and have all the details written on the stage maps.
I used it like a journal too, making notes along the way.

I'll do that for all future Caminos.

I purchase a guidebook for all of my Caminos so far and enjoy studying them; taking notes in the margins as I read suggestions, etc. from forum members in the month/s prior to leaving home. Sometimes it's nice to not be using my phone for every little thing, so having a paper guidebook provides a nice change. I used to bring the book with me on the Camino, but I now take screenshots of the pages and it works well, in addition to using Gronze while I am walking.
My guide books become souvenirs of my trips, and I also occasionally refer back to them when someone has started a thread and asked a question which may relate to my own experiences. Guidebooks are not really needed with all the apps available, but they still get a thumbs up from me.👍

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have lots of guide books at home for research purposes, but I rarely read them to be honest.

I have a lot of guidebooks on my phone, kindle versions, but again I rarely look at them.

The Gronze website, to plan my distances a day or two ahead, to look at the route profile, to review accomodation options, to get accommodation contact details and finally, to download a GPS track for the coming days. The Gronze site gives me exactly what I need, in a simple format with no frills. It even has descriptions of the route and photos.

Then I use Maps.me to open the GPS tracks from Gronze. Again it's very easy to use and clearly shows me where I am, where the Camino track is, and I can also look at places and things along the route. I tried Wikiloc which is very popular, but I found it overly complicated to use. It kept beeping at me and telling me I was walking in the wrong direction! (like 180 degrees wrong) Maps.me is much easier to use. Again it gives you what you need, not loads of stuff you don't need.

And finally I use Google Maps! This is great to look at the towns and villages I'm passing through to search for bars, cafes etc. As it also shows the opening hours...... When coming into a town or village I'll also use google maps to find my accomodation. Though I can do that on maps.me as well.

So whilst I also have a few guidebooks on my phone whilst walking, I hardly look at them, if ever.
Great info thank you Robo, will take a look :)

Hi Dave

Interesting question. Wants and needs are two different things. On the Frances, you could easily get by without 'guidance' of any sort - whether that's a paper book, an e-book, or an app. You don't need any of those - and as @Bradypus says, you can find plenty of information online.

At the same time, I can understand the appeal of 'lying on my bunk thumbing through a guidebook ... etc'. I have often done just that. I'm fairly technically savvy - and comfortable using my phone for all manner of things. I write a blog for every camino, as a keepsake and to share with family and friends. But on the many paths we've walked, if there's been a slim guidebook available, I've taken that too and not regretted it. How do I use it? I thumb through as you describe to get a feel for the next day ... I mark the accommodation where we end up staying, and maybe even write a comment or two. I like having the keepsakes and I've lent them to others.

So, do you need a paper guide book - NO. But if you think you'd enjoy having one, at the time and/or later - why not? The Brierley slim version for the Frances is lightweight. If you change your mind along the Way, you can always 'donate' it at an albergue.

Buen Camino.
So I guess you write the blog using your phone? I'm keen to keep notes/journal or maybe even blog for like you family and friends. But I was wondering about the practicability of doing this easily on a small phone screen?

I've just noticed that Gronz have a Gronze Maps app - I guess this might combine the first two things you mentione Robo? Anyone used this app who can comment?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I used the Brierly on the Frances. A hard copy with maps. Also, before I walked I read some of "The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago: The Complete Cultural Handbook" by Gitlitz and Davidson. Then downloaded it onto my kindle and in the evenings at albergues or during a stop along the way, I would read about the place I was walking.
On the Via Podensis I was frustrated not to have such great resources. I really didn't have any understanding of the history or culture of the place I was walking through-- and wifi and cell coverage were not always available.

Last edited:
So I guess you write the blog using your phone? I'm keen to keep notes/journal or maybe even blog for like you family and friends. But I was wondering about the practicability of doing this easily on a small phone screen?
Many people do, but I take my iPad mini. As I tend to write quite a lot, I prefer to write on my iPad.I suspect most people - especially younger than me - are fine writing on their phone.

If you are interested in an easy to use blogging app for your own keepsake or share with family and friends, check out Find Penguins. The free version allows 10 photos per post (called Footprints). The number of posts per trip is unlimited. If you want, at the end of your ‘trip’ you can have a lovely printed book - not cheap, but of a high standard.

If you’d like to see how it looks, here’s a link to my FP blog from the Camino Baztan (and some days on the Aragones) earlier this year. I wrote this mostly on my iPad, sometimes on my phone. 😎

Easy to download and do some practice posts before you go. Your friends and family don’t have to join to see your posts. 😎

Many people do, but I take my iPad mini. As I tend to write quite a lot, I prefer to write on my iPad.

If you are interested in an easy to use blogging app for your own keepsake or share with family and friends, check out Find Penguins. The free version allows 10 photos per post (called Footprints). The number of posts per trip is unlimited. If you want, at the end of your ‘trip’ you can have a lovely printed book - not cheap, but of a high standard.

If you’d like to see how it looks, here’s a link to my FO blog from the Camino Baztan (and some days on the Aragones) earlier this year. I wrote this mostly on my iPad, sometimes on my phone. 😎

Easy to download and do some practice posts before you go. Your friends and family don’t have to join to see your posts. 😎
Perfect thank you - will take a look :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I appreciate this is probably something that gets asked a lot, but I did a search and nothing recent came up (with my limited technical knowledge).
So I keep swaying between taking a guidebook and not taking a guidebook. I have no issues with the route as it is obviously well-marked. What I would be interested in though is the variation of routes in places, and the historical/points of interest along the way. Also, the thought of lying on my bunk thumbing through a guidebook is quite appealing, and having sat on the shelf at home afterward and maybe even passing it on to someone else.
So the weight issue is what puts me off getting one (plus cost to a lesser degree), and the fact that most stuff you can find online, albeit the book would have it all in one place. I thought I'd solve my dilemma (weight-wise but apparently not cost-wise) by getting the Kindle version of the Brierley one on my phone but having downloaded the "try before you buy" first few pages, it is far from easy to use on a telephone.
Thank you,
I used the Brierly guidebook for the CF. I thought it was great. I used an app to keep me on track, but the guide book was awesome at the end of a day, after I'd showered and hit the local watering hole. I'd plan how far I wanted to hike for the next day; regardless of where the stage may end. I always did my own thing, but it was nice to come across information that I wasn't aware of which peaked my interest-(historical sites, point of interest, etc.). I actually found a few numbers to albergues in the guidebook that weren't available on my camino app, so it saved me twice. Not trying to sell you on using it, but I did find it quite useful. As far as weight goes, we're talking ounces so I really don't think that you'll find it an issue. Buen camino!

I used to bring the book with me on the Camino, but I now take screenshots of the pages and it works well, in addition to using Gronze while I am walking.
I too use screenshots, as they are off line. If I am concerned about a particular section, then I make a paper photo cop from the book, and carry it as insurance. But I no longer carry a whole guide.

Forme, the e- version book- app online on a phone is awkward. So I bring a small Ipad for accessing reading materials.

So I keep swaying between taking a guidebook and not taking a guidebook.:)
A paper guidebook like Brierley is nice to have because it's easier to use than a phone IMO. But you absolutely don't need it.

I used the Wise Pilgrim app for day-to-day navigation and mapping, and then I had a an ebook version of The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago: The Complete Cultural Handbook (Gitlitz and Davidson), for cultural and historical info. A thorough book, but a very dense read.

Brierly probably gives enough cultural info for most pilgrims and plus is an actual opinionated guidebook, which is lovely. The Moon Guidebook by Beebe Bahrami is even better IMO.

BUT.... I actually hardly looked at any of it. I ended up living more in the moment. You definitely want a Camino app with GPS navigation in case you get lost, but you can do it fine with nothing else.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
plus is an actual opinionated guidebook, which is lovely.
The main reason I've never used the Blessed JB's books. I didn't want to approach my Camino walking through such a definite mystical/philosophical slanted interpretation. Not a voice I wanted in my head while walking. I think we all have very different ideas of what we want from a guidebook.

The main reason I've never used the Blessed JB's books. I didn't want to approach my Camino walking through such a definite mystical/philosophical slanted interpretation. Not a voice I wanted in my head while walking. I think we all have very different ideas of what we want from a guidebook.
Actually, I tend to agree with you. Guidebooks can be a burden if followed too closely. And especially Brierly is a didactic voice.

I enjoyed reading both the guidebooks I mentioned (one before and one after my Camino), but I didn't have them with me at all.

I only use the Brierley guide books for familiarizing myself at home with the routes ahead of time, additional lodging options, taking notes before I go, and I adore his simple to read maps.
I gloss over his spiritual input quickly, but think it is a nice touch that he offers it for those who are interested, but it does not impact my experience either way, so no big deal for me.
When I have had to purchase guidebooks by other authors for routes he does not cover, the content is good, but their maps are difficult and lacking imo. That's where apps definitely come in handy once on the trail/s.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I love a guidebook, but haven't taken one with me now for several years. I like to look at it at home and usually have one by my living room chair to look at and dream about. I have had some Kindle versions, too. Specifically the German Yellow guidebook as those are very precise with directions.

I want to walk the VDLP after I retire next year and I will take a real paper book, I am sure. I like real books and although I can use my phone, I like a real book for seeing what is ahead tomorrow in the evening...

There are some good Apps which I also use (more in the daytime) and of course Gronze.com.

As for your blog, can you use the voice recorder on your phone to do voice to text?

I've just noticed that Gronz have a Gronze Maps app - I guess this might combine the first two things you mentione Robo? Anyone used this app who can comment?
The Gronze maps is currently only available as an app for Android phones. It works well, but you need a data connection - the maps cannot be used offline. I only used it when I was walking on the Camino del Norte in France because the maps on my other Camino apps started in Spain.

For the main Camino routes I recommend the Wise Pilgrim (full version, not free version) and Buen Camino apps. Both have offline maps and have a bit of information about the towns and regions that you pass through in addition to listings of accommodations. I use both apps because they both have their strengths and weaknesses and slightly different content/focus about the places you pass through.

I brought a guidebook only during one of the Caminos I walked and I would say it's useless. As many said, there are a lot of more useful resources online such as Gronze or apps like Buen Camino. I used OSMandMaps offline maps too in some stages when I didn't have phone coverage and the route wasn't well marked, but this is just a random map app like many others.

Thank you,
For me, I don't bring a physical book, much as I love them. I will use apps and ebooks instead. If you pick the right ones, they provide as much of the type of information you are looking for as the physical guidebooks. I wouldn't judge all by your Brierley experience.

If you are interested in the historical/points of interest, nothing matches Gitlitz and Davidson's The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago: A Complete Cultural Handbook (at least, for the Frances and Aragones), available as an ebook. I always take that with me on the Frances (I leave my paper copy at home).

That said, the pleasures of the physical book are not to be dismissed casually. Only you can say whether they are worth the weight to you.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I brought a guidebook only during one of the Caminos I walked and I would say it's useless. As many said, there are a lot of more useful resources online such as Gronze or apps like Buen Camino. I used OSMandMaps offline maps too in some stages when I didn't have phone coverage and the route wasn't well marked, but this is just a random map app like many others.
I’m walking the Francis route now, first Camino. Using Gronze and Wise Pilgram, for lodging plans and route respectively. I have physical Village to Village Map Guide for planning daily walk length. I’m pretty tired each day so being able to have physical book to mark dates and stops is helpful to me. Map Guide is thin and light. I used JB for pre planning and missed having his highlights so I got the ebook to look at in the evening on phone.
Enjoying the meseta now, beginnings just like my home in the Palouse region of WA state USA.

Thank you,
Guidebooks can be helpful, digital or paper.
I think you’ll figure out what’s best for you.
What I would caution is don’t get locked into
A guidebook lockstep, doing the stages according to the guidebook. Some of my best experiences on the Camino Frances came when I deliberately
switched to stopping and starting mid guidebook stage. The people were all unequivocally wonderful and the places were often special.
Keep your mind and heart and eyes and ears open
and Buen Camino!

Guidebooks can be helpful, digital or paper.
I think you’ll figure out what’s best for you.
What I would caution is don’t get locked into
A guidebook lockstep, doing the stages according to the guidebook. Some of my best experiences on the Camino Frances came when I deliberately
switched to stopping and starting mid guidebook stage. The people were all unequivocally wonderful and the places were often special.
Keep your mind and heart and eyes and ears open
and Buen Camino!
I'm definitely making a point of not planning anything in advance (apart from Orisson first night), and I'm happy to let the Camino unfold day by day :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm definitely making a point of not planning anything in advance (apart from Orisson first night), and I'm happy to let the Camino unfold day by day :)

That's the best way for fully enjoying the Camino IMHO. As far as I got reading your "future Camino" tab, you're going to start at the end of September and I walked the Norte in the same period last year. I never booked a place in advance and I always found a place where to sleep.
Let the Camino show your personal way :)

Thank you,
Buy guidebooks and read them prior to leaving, Authors deserve the reward. As a book owner, I use my phone to photograph pages I want, I can expand the images and not at weight to my bundle. I have a stack of guide books and they all add to the story.

Buen camino @davejsy! I brought Brierley in 2021, and tore off the “pages of the day” as I walked. By the time I got to Santiago, the weight was negligible. I also used the Buen Camino app and Camino Ninja (RIP). I liked having Brierley’s map-of-the-day in my side pocket, and studying the book in the evening. I kept another edition of the guide at home and still enjoy looking through it, marking my stops and making notes. In 2022 on the Camino Salvador, I relied on photos of Ender’s guide that I’d stored in my phone, and the Wise Pilgrim app. (Both times I walked without a cell plan, relying on WiFi in albergues to access the apps, and to communicate via WhatsApp, as needed.) You will find what works for you!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you,
I think the Breierly guidebook is worth its weight. I also love reading about the next day's walk and trail options and possible side trips during the evenings.

Thank you,
I did my first camino this year from SJPDP to Santiago. I'd had a Breirley guide which I gave away after the first day as I had just overpacked. I spent the whole Camino just following the arrows. Only once missed a turn coming out of Burgos when a lovely man stopped me and then a incredibly nice woman gave me a lift back to the turn off. I hadn't gone that far out of the way but if I'd kept going it wouldn't have been so good. Sometimes coming out of cities is more confusing but that one was just me being half asleep really, don't know why I missed it as it was quite clear. The other bit, Burgos again, is coming into the city. Apparently there is a scenic route you can take, but not knowing this I walked for miles through an awful industrial estate, about 12ks I think before you get to the nice part of the city. My ankle was swollen for days after that. Do you need a guide book? Not really but it may help!
Buen Camino

Last Camino I used FindPenguins on my phone to journal. I found it very easy to use. Now that voice to text is so good you don’t even need to ‘tap’ everything out - although I did. I found that writing is a more reflective and thoughtful process.
However I was on a rather solitary Camino - so not sure how much journaling I would do on a busier route. But I could at least record key info and photos.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back