• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Olvidado/Invierno vs VdLP/Sanabres

BombayBill

Still Learning
Time of past OR future Camino
September 2024 Invierno / VdLP or Cathar
Can anyone comment on doing Olvidado Invierno vs the VdLP (Salamanca) / Sanabres? I would like to avoid too much road walking (here’s looking at you Norte) and prefer rural landscapes. Hills are not a concern. Any thoughts from those aficionados of odd combos? @jungleboy @Elle Bieling ?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Can anyone comment on doing Olvidado Invierno vs the VdLP (Salamanca) / Sanabres?

I have walked both of these combos and would walk either again. The Olvidado has a lot of great mountain days (especially after Aguilar de Campóo) and it contrasts nicely with the more bucolic rural Galician scenery of the Invierno. There is a fair amount of road walking on the Invierno, but it’s almost never on a road that has any kind of traffic.

Most, probably nearly all (except @Robo and @C clearly) , of those who walk the Vdlp to Santiago take the Sanabrés rather than heading north at the split and going to Astorga to join the Francés. It is a wonderful route, again lots of contrasts. In springtime, the southern part is wildflower heaven (at least if the drought doesn’t mess things up again), and there is an amazing stretch through what is called the dehesa (boulders, wetlands, flowers, streams). There is a “boring meseta part” from south of Salamanca to around Zamora, but I am a meseta fan so that wasn’t a problem for me. The Sanabrés has a lot of hills, no real mountains that come to mind.

The Vdlp looks crowded compared to the Olvidado/Invierno. Traffic on the Invierno is definitely on the uptick and you’ll probably meet a few others on that route, but you are unlikely to meet (m)any on the Olvidado. There are a couple of pretty remote sections on the Olvidado - they are glorious, but you would be well-advised to have GPS, imho.

I don’t think you will be disappointed with either of these routes. Let us know what you choose!

I have walked both and would agree with P2000

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I don’t think you will be disappointed with either of these routes. Let us know what you choose
Agree 100%. having done both I´d say there´s not much to choose between them except the Plata/Sanabrés has a lot more infrastructure, and starting in Andalucía then passing through Extremadura, Castille y Léon then Galicia, it crosses a much greater variety of landscape and local culture.

Any thoughts from those aficionados of odd combos? @jungleboy @Elle Bieling ?
P2K is the real aficionado of odd combos and was unsurprisingly the first to reply! Of these four routes I have only walked half of the Sanabrés, so I see I need to up my odd combo game quick smart to retain aficionado status!

Thank you for asking this question - I was thinking about exactly this just yesterday!

I had thought I wanted to walk the Allerano and then either the Primitivo (again) or the Norte next May. But, then I started looking at the Sanabres and the Invierno. The Sanabres was appealing for a number of reasons, including that it's easy to get to from Madrid.

So, I'm pivoting in this direction (Sanabres) with the only real downside being that I'll miss the spectactular mountains between León and Oviedo.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back