• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Verizon ( phone company) international calling ...?

Cliff175

Time of past OR future Camino
April / May Camino Frances 2013
Portuguese Camino May of 2014
St. jean to pomplona, - Santander to Oviedo, SAN Salvador to Leon , to Santiago in 2015
2017 March -- VDLP Seville to Santiago
I'm coming for the USA, my phone company is Verizon. The company has international calling plan (40.00) for a month which I can add to my service plan.

I was wondering if anyone has used the service , and the quality of the coverage ?

Just trying to decide if I should use the service or purchase a sim card when I arrive in Spain.

I would appreciate any feed back, if anyone has used the Verizon International Calling plan.

Respectfully
Cliff

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm coming for the USA, my phone company is Verizon. The company has international calling plan (40.00) for a month which I can add to my service plan.

I was wondering if anyone has used the service , and the quality of the coverage ?

Just trying to decide if I should use the service or purchase a sim card when I arrive in Spain.

I would appreciate any feed back, if anyone has used the Verizon International Calling plan.

Respectfully
Cliff
I have Verizon too.. an Have NOT used the International Calling Plan..but the Verizon Store Manager told me I can add Spain for $5.00/month.

Respectfully
Cliff

If you have a LTE Verizon smartphone, it is truly unlocked.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/aboutus/commitment/safety-security/device-unlocking-policy.html

A Spanish SIM will be cheaper than anything Verizon has and will have better coverage. Verizon can be spotty when used outside of the US.
Lebara would be a good deal and they are on the Movistar network, works the best on the Meseta.
http://www.lebara.es/todo-en-uno

Here are other carriers to choose from:
http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Spain

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
When my wife and I walked the CF I had a Spanish SIM card (Orange network) in my phone and she had the Verizon international plan, which uses the Vodafone network in Spain. There was only one remote location where I did not have a useable signal. On the other hand, my wife's phone could only be used in or near the larger towns and cities. I found this surprising since Vodafone is known to have a very good network. The only thing I could conclude was that the agreement with Verizon was based on a somewhat crippled version of the Vodafone network. In the US, that's the case with some of the off-brand pay-as-you go plans that buy network time from the major carriers.

In 2014 I got the Verizon international plan and found coverage (though Vodafone) was perfectly adequate. I called home quite a bit and recall only one area where there wasn't a good signal. (I was exclusively in Galicia). I did, however, rack up several hundred dollars in charges with texting (both to home to family/friends and with others in my waking group).

This year I instead paid €20 for a Spanish SIM from Orange upon my arrival to Spain and advised family / friends that I'd be using Facebook messenger and Whatsapp for communicating and it worked out perfectly. I even spoke to my husband on several occasions (including once from a lively soccer match!) via the call feature on the Facebook messenger - all conversations were crystal clear! I made many local phone calls too and still had a credit from the original €20 when I went to buy a few more GBs of data. The Orange plan also included a decent rate for calling to the U.S. (Something like €.39 to connect and a few cents per minute), but I figured out the FB calling early on so didn't event bother.

Buen camino to you!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Wow, great to know as I do have a Verizon LTE phone and had assumed it was locked. Thanks for sharing the link.

All my friends who have Verizon LTE smartphones have had no issues when using foreign SIM cards, there are only a few countries where you can't get a local SIM card.
Here is the worldwide list. http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com

Respectfully
Cliff
I too have Verizon as my carrier. Their overseas plan is a waste of $$. I purchased a world wide SIM card through National Geographics Talk Abroad Network. I can use my phone in 200 countries, I get free incoming calls from 70 countries and a lot more. Its a prepaid service with no contract. You get your own US phone number and a UK phone number. If your going to stay in Spain a SIM card that covers only Spain would be best. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Like others have said, if you have an LTE phone from Verizon, it should be unlocked and you just have to buy a SIM card once you get to Spain. If you have an older phone, you're really better off just buying a cheap GSM phone.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I took the $40. International deal 100 texts , 100 calls, worked perfectly the only thing you have to watch for is to turn off roaming, data is very expensive, but being there is free wifi every where not a problem. Honestly the whole locked-unlocked, sim card thing confused me so I took the easy way out. As I age I usually go the path of least resistance.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
Hello all. Here to give a brief account of my (and many others) first day on the Camino on May 1. The trip to Roncesvalles was tough. I went Valcarlos route because napoleon was very ill advised...
Did you meet Bjørn Krohn? Died aged 48 in an albergue, I don't know where, tuesday 21th. I didn't know this until now.
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?
Can anyone tell me if food is available there… anyone stayed recently? Cheers

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back