• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Very excited...

IsabelaHapsburg

Hi, I am walking around the end of Sept or beginning of Oct, depending on when I finish my MA dissertation. I'm trying to do as much research as possible to enhance my journey. There's alot I want to see along the way. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Peace!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Welcome to the forum, Isabela!

I think you'll find a lot of helpful information here.

As a former academic myself, may I ask what your M.A. dissertation is on? Does it somehow involve the Camino?

Peace,

Steve S

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for the Welcome!

I'm studying Egyptology, which I suppose has nothing to do with the Camino. But for me it does. All of my studies are connected with my spiritual life. I wanted to study Egyptian religion (as I believe all religions are connected on a spiritual level) and my dissertation is on the god Thoth (Djehuty) in the Pyramid Texts (oldest existing religious text). I just felt that walking would be 'icing on the cake' after the dissertation. I'm also going through St. Ignatius' Spiritual Exercises (at a very slow pace b/c my body is already under much stress from work and uni). And I want to work on my Spanish and consider what I will do after the degree. It just feels like the right time, and I have the money to do it. I can't wait to meet people along the journey.

And my name isn't really Isabela Hapsburg, just a screen name. My true passion in history- the Hapsburgs, particularly the Spanish Hapsburgs. I read somewhere there's a place that Philip II slept along the Camino.

Thanks again. I look forward to learning from your experiences.

Peace,

Isa

xm said:
Here's something for u: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQnFBAja7_U Buen Camino, xm 8)

That song is beautiful. I've never seen Man of La Mancha. But when I went to Mexico with my Dad, he bought a statue of Don Quixote. I thought it was hideous, but it grew on me. When my Dad passed away three years ago, my Mom gave me the statue. My Dad's greatest dream was to go to Spain (he was Spanish, born in Mexico), and he and I went three years ago. He died shortly after.

Thanks for the song.

~Isa

Glad u liked it Isa. BTW, great subject for ur thesis, definitely deserve the "icing on the cake!" Buen Camino, xm 8)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Isa,

A dissertation on Egyptology sounds fascinating. When I finished my dissertation I went through a mild post-partum depression, so I would think a period of pilgrimage would be very re-centering. I wish you all the best.

My son and I plan to make the Camino in July, our trip coinciding with the feast of St. James (my son's birthday is the day before). Drop us a line in August if you have any more specific questions about the journey.

Best,

Steve

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, Steve,
I see you're from Jacksonville. I'm originally from Brunswick, GA, but I lived in Jacksonville for 4 years. I left last Sept to move to Wales. Small world. I've been debating whether or not I want to go back to Jacksonville. That's one of the things I'll ponder while on the Camino. I love Jacksonville, especially now that it's growing, but I love Europe too. I'm not sure I want to return to the States. See my dilemma.

It's always nice to run into someone on the net who's from home.

Peace,
Isa

Wow, that is a small world. My wife and I love Jacksonville; in fact, I gave up tenure at a small college in Tennessee to return here. We both have a lot of family here, even though I grew up elsewhere.

I wish you all the best on your camino as you sort out your future. May God grant you clear vision.

Steve

Hi Isa,
Just widening the Jax connection. My wife and I walked last Oct. Your timing is great. Not too crowded, we were after the fires but a little rainy.
Very pleasant walking. I hope you have a good director for doing the Exercises. Like the camino they can be a life directing experience. You will find on the camino many things which will stimulate recall of the meditations of the Exercises. I found that the quiet times during the camino are wonderful because there is no interrupting schedule. There were times when my wife and I would have a wonderful conversation then we might not say anything for an hour or more. Every stage of the camino experience brings new insight moments. Ultreya, John

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.