• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via Appia Advice and Guide

Karl Oz

Time of past OR future Camino
Via Francigena (2023)
Hi,
I am walking from Lucca to Rome next month and expect to finish by late October.

I was considering continuing on the Via Appia to Brindisi, which I think will take about a month. I wanted opinions from pilgrims who had already undertaken the route as to whether this is feasible/recommended in November, specifically with respect to the likely weather and availability of pilgrim or similar accommodation.
Additionally, I would welcome suggestions concerning guide books or any other useful resources.
Thanks .
Karl

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi,
I am walking from Lucca to Rome next month and expect to finish by late October.

I was considering continuing on the Via Appia to Brindisi, which I think will take about a month. I wanted opinions from pilgrims who had already undertaken the route as to whether this is feasible/recommended in November, specifically with respect to the likely weather and availability of pilgrim or similar accommodation.
Additionally, I would welcome suggestions concerning guide books or any other useful resources.
Thanks .
Karl
Hi Karl,

You shouldn't have any problems weather-wise. I actually walked the southern part of the Via Francigena (up till Rome) in December and the weather was perfectly fine for walking. Highs in the '50's and '60's, and it should be even warmer as you head south. Weatherspark is a great site to give you average weather data, and it shows, for example, that the average high in Brindisi in November is 65F / 19C.

As to guidebooks, the Italian guidebook publisher, Terre di Mezzo, has just come out with an English edition of their guide to the Via Francigena del Sud (Rome to Brindisi. https://www.terre.it/prodotto/the-via-francigena-in-southern-italy/. I have used their guidebooks on the northern section of the Via Francigena, and also on other long-distance trails in Italy, and they are truly excellent.

Please post as you go along. Rome to Brindisi is high on my bucket list.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Do you mean Via Appia or the Via Francigena nel Sud? The Via Appia is more of a road now. Then there is the choice of using the original VA or using the "modern" Via Traiana through Bari.

The GPS tracks and information for the Via Francigena south of Rome are on the official VF site here

Will be doing the Via Appia (and not the VFnS) next year so will be following any comments you make.

Edit: Seems I had put all the VFnS GPS tracks together then abandoned the idea, so here is the walking route if you want to download it.

Hi Karl,

You shouldn't have any problems weather-wise. I actually walked the southern part of the Via Francigena (up till Rome) in December and the weather was perfectly fine for walking. Highs in the '50's and '60's, and it should be even warmer as you head south. Weatherspark is a great site to give you average weather data, and it shows, for example, that the average high in Brindisi in November is 65F / 19C.
Hello @Karl Oz

Yes I would agree completely with @andycohn , I walked from Rome to Brindisi in Ocotber 2018 on the VFdelSud (only a relatively small part of which is the Via Appia) and the weather was very nice. I arrivined in Brinidisi on 24 October. Very warm with occasional rain. Last year I walked from Matera back to Brindisi and then continued onward to Santa Maria di Leuca arriving 16 November and once again the weather was oerfect.

And I agree too, the new translation of the Terre de Mezzo guide is the best available. It wasn't available, nor was the Itlaian edition when i walked, but like Andy i used other books from the publisher and they are excellent. A little heavy to carry, because full of very fine photos. Long ago they had ebook versions which were actually an app (rather than a Kindle file) but sadly these have been discontinued.

Accommodation - no real difficulties. You are very unlikely to meet more than one or two other pilgrims.

Do you mean Via Appia or the Via Francigena nel Sud? The Via Appia is more of a road now. Then there is the choice of using the original VA or using the "modern" Via Traiana through Bari.

The GPS tracks and information for the Via Francigena south of Rome are on the official VF site here

Will be doing the Via Appia (and not the VFnS) next year so will be following any comments you make.

Edit: Seems I had put all the VFnS GPS tracks together then abandoned the idea, so here is the walking route if you want to download it.

Hi, I assumed there was little difference other than a few diversions, but as I see, that is not the case. Walking on cobblestones is no fun so it will be the VF Sud for me I think. Thanks for the information.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello @Karl Oz

Yes I would agree completely with @andycohn , I walked from Rome to Brindisi in Ocotber 2018 on the VFdelSud (only a relatively small part of which is the Via Appia) and the weather was very nice. I arrivined in Brinidisi on 24 October. Very warm with occasional rain. Last year I walked from Matera back to Brindisi and then continued onward to Santa Maria di Leuca arriving 16 November and once again the weather was oerfect.

And I agree too, the new translation of the Terre de Mezzo guide is the best available. It wasn't available, nor was the Itlaian edition when i walked, but like Andy i used other books from the publisher and they are excellent. A little heavy to carry, because full of very fine photos. Long ago they had ebook versions which were actually an app (rather than a Kindle file) but sadly these have been discontinued.

Accommodation - no real difficulties. You are very unlikely to meet more than one or two other pilgrims.
I was hoping you would comment Tim! Thank you for the advice. One last question: is the VF Sud waymarked clearly, or at all?

In 2018 waymarking was rather erratic. Certainly significantly less thant the stretch you are planning on the VF from Lucca to Rome. It depends to an extent on the enthusiasm of local volunteers. But the impression I get is that there is quite a lot of enthusiasm and that waymarking is improving. But while I think you could get from Lucca to Rome without resort to GPX I think you would need to use technology to get from Rome onwards.

I think the viefrancigene.org is probably the most up to date, as @Corned Beef mentions. They include plenty of variants as well.

From Brindisi to Santa Maria there is an alternative route locally supported. The Cammino de Salento.
https://www.camminodelsalento.it/ It is slightly different to the "official" route. And I did it and enjoyed it, but I mixed and matched a bit in terms of the exact route.

From time to time on the route from Rome onward I found the official route to take what seemed like unnecessary 'diversions' - at the end of the day, or if i am tired, or if it is raining, I am not averse to a bit of re-routing using Google maps! I am not over bothered by walking on tarmac. You will see people commenting there is 'a lot of tarmac' on the Sud. I honestly don't pay any attention to this.
But overall I enjoyed it enormously. I love walking along the coast and you can choose how soon you hit the coast in Puglia.

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back