A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Via Domitia

2020 Camino Guides

Barbara06

Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy - Pamplona (2011-14)
VDLP (2015)
Portuguese (2015)
Francigena (2016)
Primitivo (2017)
Has anybody walked on the Via Domitia ?
It is a pilgrimage route from MontGenevre to Arles and leads to Santiago on one way and to Rome on the other.
I would like to walk it but find very littel information.
Thanks

Harington

Camino(s) past & future
Vézelay/Francés 2011, Primitivo 2012, VdlP 2013, Via Domitia 2014, Inglés 2015, Francigena 2016
It is a pilgrimage route from MontGenevre to Arles and leads to Santiago on one way and to Rome on the other.
Thanks
I walked part of it from Montgenèvre to eastern Provence in September 2014, meaning to go as far as Montpellier. It is a magnificent (and strenuous) walk, but I abandoned it because none of the gîtes were open - or answered their phones - and the few hotels were expensive (for my budget). The chaîne d'accueil of the local Compostela associations was worse than useless - phones never answered, so really no budget accommodation. I imagine things have improved. Hope so! there is a TopoGuide in French in the FFR series with excellent maps. Basically it is GR 653 as far as Arles.

lovingkindness

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Thanks
Hello @Barbara06

I walked the Via Domitia in the opposite direction on my way to Jérusalem (2013-2014). I posted notes and later put together a resource. Here are a couple of links to follow:

Notes, (links updated 2019) : https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/gr-653d-via-domitia-arles-to-montgenèvre-updated-2018.19203/

Resource comprising stages walked; shelter and assistance found and interesting places to see along the way. Included are notes on the gear carried, maps + guide book used, plus a few links (updated, 2018).: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/gr-653d-via-domitia-arles-to-montgenèvre-may-july-2013.625/

Cheers
Lovingkindness

Last edited:
Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
mal kiwi Via Arverna 12
gittiharre Via Arverna 9

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 7 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 46 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 172 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 278 24.4%