• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via Gebennensis 2013

GuyA

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi,

I have just completed the Via Gebennensis route as the second leg of my walk from Rorschach to Finisterre...and I have added this to my profile!

I found this walk to be exceptional and certainly the equal of the Via Jacobi walk. The scenery is really special throughout with the Haute-Loire being a standout. I completed the 350 kms (I always seem to do a few extra kms) in 14 days. The walk includes a fair amount of elevation gain throughout although perhaps not as strenuous as the first week on the Via Jacobi.

Highlights of my trip were the many evening suppers spent with the various families. I had an advantage in being fluent in French which certainly helped. Similar to my Via Jacobi experience I met very few pilgrims that were walking the entire route...most walking for 10 days or so and will return next year.

Costs are lower than in Switzerland however I did stay a number of nights in Chambres d'Hotes which increased my costs.

I highly recommend this less travelled route unless your main objective is to meet and interact with other pilgrims...if so you will find this to be a lonely experience.

A day or so in Le Puy en Velay and then on to the Le Puy route...in spring 2014 I am planning on completing the Spanish route.

If interested in seeing some pictures and reading comments on accommodations my blog below may be of interest.

Ultreia

Guy

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Guy

Great photos and your blog is a wonderful read

My wife walked through Switzerland a few years ago stopping in Lausanne. She has talked about returning and finishing the walk to at least Geneva but she has also indicated that she would like to walk this section to Le Puy.

Might have to add it to our bucket list of things to do in the near future!

Cheers

Great blog- with lots of humour in it! The route from Geneva to Le Puy is firmly in my mind for sometime in the next few years. I look forward to looking at your blog properly soon and getting some ideas. Thanks!
Margaret

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! thanks to someone who posted the San Antonio mission camino! my husband and I just recently completed it yesterday. we have done 6 pilgrimages in Europe, so wasn't sure what to expect...