A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

See the full Camino Forum Store here with many more camino products.

Via Regia/ Der Ökumenische Pilgerweg - I'm starting a new thread

bjorgts

Camino(s) past & future
Caminos in Spain, France, Portugal, Germany since 2003. Last: Malaga - Cordoba November 2019
I have read everything written here on the forum about Via Regia/Der Ökumenische Pilgerweg . A lot has been written, and one has to scroll far down to find the latest posts. That's why I'm starting a new thread now. Hope it's ok. Here is the address of the thread that is further down: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-regia-ecumenical-pilgrims-way-germany.41092/

My husband and I walked the first half of this camino in September, from Görlitz to Leipzig. It was a nice camino. It is well marked and well arranged with overnight stays all the way. Details can be found in the previous thread. Here I will only comment on some aspects of the walk.

On this first half of the route, you pass through Sachsen, that is, the former East Germany. If you are interested in history, and know German, it is a lot of interesting things to see, hear, learn and understand about that periode while walking. It is something else to hear people tell, than to read in the history books.

If you are used to caminos in Spain, to get food is a little different. There is not an open bar "around every turn". You have to plan a little more and have some more information on where to get food. A very good thing is the bakeries! You can go into most of them, ask for a bread slice with cheese and ham for examle, and they will make it fresh for you while you wait. Great!

An alternative: We left the route a few kilometers after Grossenhain and went down to the Elbe. Followed the river for a while, crossed at Riesa, stayed there over night, and continued on that side and found the route in Sthrela again. We thought it was a good alternative.

Here is the photo video I made from the walk. If anyone has questions then just ask!
Bjørg

Last edited:

Marc S.

Camino(s) past & future
Since 2012: CF, CdN, CP, Salvador, Aragones, Via Regia, Elisabethpfad, Jakobsweg NRW, Jakibspaad.
Thanks for posting. It brings back great memories (and I agree with all you say about the German bakeries!)
I also walked though Riesa, but at the time there was no Herberg. Has it opened again ?

bjorgts

Camino(s) past & future
Caminos in Spain, France, Portugal, Germany since 2003. Last: Malaga - Cordoba November 2019
The last update to the guide from the friends of the route (dated 11.2.2020) says something like this translated into English: The Herberge "Glashof" in Riesa can no longer accommodate pilgrims. In Riesa Gröba (directly on the variant to Strehla) a beautiful Herberge in the "Old Church School" with the Näther family, Kirchstraße 44, 01591 Riesa, Tel .: 0170 - 5450670. Here there are five beds (please ask in advance by phone); 10 € a night.

We did not stay there.

lindam

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, VDLP, Invierno, Portuguese, Madrid, Ingles, Fisterra, Muxia, Catalan/Aragones/Loyola Norte
Thank you for sharing this lovely Camino with us. Aside from the wonderful looking bakeries, the towns looked inviting and the scenery splendid. I am wondering in what type(s) of accommodation you stayed? I did notice a couple of your pictures seemed to be pilgrim albergues but it was hard to tell. Any information you are able to share about lodgings would be most welcome.

bjorgts

Camino(s) past & future
Oh yes! Inviting towns and lovely sceneries!

As far as I know, this is the only Camino in Germany where you can stay in albergue-like accomodation all the way through. That is great! It´s mostly not albergues as we know them from Spain, but all sorts of smaller places, rooms in houses belonging to congregations, rooms in privat houses with Camino-friends old schools and so on. We stayed in some, but we also used hostals. You can find a lot of information about accomodation here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-regia-ecumenical-pilgrims-way-germany.41092/

There are two guides to the route, as far as I know. The friends of this Camino has a good guide in German which we used. There you can find all the information about accomodation. They also have updates on Internett. We speak German, but if one don´t, I still think this guide would be very useful, because of all the information. To their side: https://www.oekumenischer-pilgerweg.de/ . To the guide: https://www.oekumenischer-pilgerweg.de/unterwegs/pilgerfuehrer.html .
Conrad Stein Verlag also has a guide in German. https://www.conrad-stein-verlag.de/buecher-shop/via-regia/ We have not used this one, but we have used these guides for many routes in Spain and they are usually good.

If you plan walking this route: Good luck! It´s a very nice Camino, and we hope we can continue from Leipzig one day. It´s interesting from time to time walking other places than in Spain. (We have also walked Mozel-Camino from Koblenz to Trier.)

Last edited:

lindam

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, VDLP, Invierno, Portuguese, Madrid, Ingles, Fisterra, Muxia, Catalan/Aragones/Loyola Norte
Thank you so much, Bjorgts, for sharing this detailed information. Certainly, it is a Camino of interest to be walked by us at some point in the future. As my husband's first language was German, the German links and guides will be very useful for us. All the best to you and thank you again for the inspiration!

lovingkindness

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Lovely photos, @bjorgts! We must have been walking close to the same time (I set off on 4 Sept). Thank you very much for posting the video. Every scene is familiar to me, precious. I didn't carry a camera, just a school exercise book to write in. I do appreciate your images.

Cheers
Lovingkindness

bjorgts

Camino(s) past & future
Thank you! We started on 12. September.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 196 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 325 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 378 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock