• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Victoria Pilgrims

Jill O'Connor

This area of the forum is to help prospective and past Kiwi and Australian pilgrims to introduce themselves, and perhaps to make contact.

You might like to include details such as the region you are from, whether you have already walked a Camino route or are planning to in the future, and which route(s).

(More personal details like real name, phone number etc might best be shared later via PM if you decide you want to make contact with someone.)

Buen Camino!

Thank-you - This is a great website. I have had this vague notion to walk (at least some of) the Camino for a quite a few years now and almost bought a ticket to fly out Boxing Day and walk 10 days on the Camino but from the research I have done it is not the ideal time weather-wise - and also a big part of the reasons I want to do it is I want the conversation and companionship of other 'pilgrims' and from all reports they will be scant in December/January. I am not great with directions, snow or Spanish so being part of a team appeals from this point of view also. I am limited in times available to me because I am a school-teacher. I hail from East Gippsland (on the lakes). Perhaps I will have to put it on the back-burner yet again or try and negotiate an extra week in the September school holidays and go then and look at The Lycian Way in Turkey for these Christmas holidays. Either way I read the experiences of others and dream :) and can't wait to live it myself!
:) Jill

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank-you - This is a great website. I have had this vague notion to walk (at least some of) the Camino for a quite a few years now and almost bought a ticket to fly out Boxing Day and walk 10 days on the Camino but from the research I have done it is not the ideal time weather-wise - and also a big part of the reasons I want to do it is I want the conversation and companionship of other 'pilgrims' and from all reports they will be scant in December/January. I am not great with directions, snow or Spanish so being part of a team appeals from this point of view also. I am limited in times available to me because I am a school-teacher. I hail from East Gippsland (on the lakes). Perhaps I will have to put it on the back-burner yet again or try and negotiate an extra week in the September school holidays and go then and look at The Lycian Way in Turkey for these Christmas holidays. Either way I read the experiences of others and dream :) and can't wait to live it myself!
:) Jill
Hi Jill,
I have walked from St Jean twice and from here (Australia) we do need to allow 6 weeks away - approx 35 days walking. However there is an alternative that is shorter. In August/Sept we walked from Porto in Portugal to Santiago - 13 days walking and approx 260kms. There are cheap airfares from Amsterdam to Porto or alternatively you could train it from Porto to Velenca/Tui on the Portugal/Spanish border from where it is just over 100kms. well waymarked. I live on the Murray in northern Victoria and am a member of the Australian Friends of the Camino (google to get their address). We get together at a restaurant in Melbourne on the last Friday of every month for dinner and a chat and I know you would be welcome. Buen Camino
Nola

Hi Jill,
I have walked from St Jean twice and from here (Australia) we do need to allow 6 weeks away - approx 35 days walking. However there is an alternative that is shorter. In August/Sept we walked from Porto in Portugal to Santiago - 13 days walking and approx 260kms. There are cheap airfares from Amsterdam to Porto or alternatively you could train it from Porto to Velenca/Tui on the Portugal/Spanish border from where it is just over 100kms. well waymarked. I live on the Murray in northern Victoria and am a member of the Australian Friends of the Camino (google to get their address). We get together at a restaurant in Melbourne on the last Friday of every month for dinner and a chat and I know you would be welcome. Buen Camino
Nola

Hi Nola, I have walked the camino in 2003 and am walking again this year from Le Puy. Where are you meeting for dinner in Melbourne this month, perhaps we can catch up. Regards Penny

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Penny,
Unfortunately I wont be there this month. But here are the details. I live on the Vic/NSW border so cannot make it to Melb every month. Garis Alexander is our Melb contact garis.alexander@gmail.com.. I suggest you contact him by email to get on the email list which he sends out each month. My email is nola@vulling.name if you want to contact me directly..

Hi Nola,
I am a new member from Victoria .i am going to do my first walk in May from Porto.
I noticed u hav done this.i have a few books etc on the camino.
I was intending to take the coastal route out of Porto
What's the procedure for starting the walk.do I register at the cathedral etc
I am very new
Cheers
Tim

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back