• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vigo to Redondela

jean evans

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk July 2017, Starting from Tui.
We are flying from Barcelona to Vigo, and then plan to join the Portuguese Camino after spending the night in Vigo. How interesting is the walk from Vigo? Or is it more interesting to get to Tui and walk from there?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

When I did it this past July, I really enjoyed the walk out of Vigo. Following the yellow arrows, there is an initial climb (nothing too major), and you then follow a good, level trail for quite a distance. The trail skirts the hillside, so there are great views over the city, out to the Cies Islands, and down over the bay. We had a beautiful, sunny day for this, and it was a really good walk into Redondela.

I think the walk from Tui is a bit farther than the walk from Vigo. I took two days to get to Redondela from Tui, stopping in Porrino. I don't really remember the walk from Tui that well, but I recall that I went through a long, unattractive industrial zone in Porrino. Not horrible, but on a hot day it was a bit of a grind. I understand that there is now an alternate route that avoids this stretch, so it is likely more pleasant than on my journey.

Buen Camino!

Yes, there is definitely a better alternative to Porrino industrial area. If you have the time, Tui to Redondela is worth it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We are flying from Barcelona to Vigo, and then plan to join the Portuguese Camino after spending the night in Vigo. How interesting is the walk from Vigo? Or is it more interesting to get to Tui and walk from there?
You cannot apply for a Compostela certificate. Vigo is less than 100 kms to Santiago.
It is only a short , less than 20 kms , walk from Vigo to Redondela where you join the Central Portuguese route to Santiago. Not really special
Vigo is a big town . We have been there several times and like it. A town full of sculptures.

Tui is worth it. Avoiding the porriño industrial estate is easy enough too. Vigo is galicia's largest city, not a place i would want to walk out of.

Hi there, how did your trip go and did you end up walking from Tui or Vigo in the end...I am flying into Vigo in October to start my walk but am conscious that it is under the 100 km distance to qualify for the Compostela so am looking back down the coast to make the distance up.

Using the Eroski guide it is 84.9k from Redondela-Santiago and Google Maps has 13k from Vigo-Redondela leaving me a few kilometres short, would anyone disagree with these distances? My dread would be to arrive at the Pilgrim's Office only to be told I was one or two kilometres short!!!

Thanks in advance if anyone can advise...

http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/portugues/

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi there, how did your trip go and did you end up walking from Tui or Vigo in the end...I am flying into Vigo in October to start my walk but am conscious that it is under the 100 km distance to qualify for the Compostela so am looking back down the coast to make the distance up.

Using the Eroski guide it is 84.9k from Redondela-Santiago and Google Maps has 13k from Vigo-Redondela leaving me a few kilometres short, would anyone disagree with these distances? My dread would be to arrive at the Pilgrim's Office only to be told I was one or two kilometres short!!!

Yes, we did walk from Vigo to Santiago, and it was certainly more than 100kms. We walked the Senda da Auga (the water path) out of Vigo which took us into the hills overlooking Vigo and harbour - beautiful!

Day 1 was to Miguel's albergue at Cesantes (approx 5 km past Redondela) - O Recuncho de Peregrino - which was fantastic. Day 2 (slightly shorter) was to Pontevedra. Then, about 4 kms after Pontevedra, we turned off to walk the Espiritual Variante. Our next stop was at Armenteira, then Villanova de Arousa, then Padron and then Santiago. We calculate we walked over 120kms, especially given that we actually walked the '28 kms' from Villanova de Arousa to Pontecesurus. The 'usual' means of transport for that stage is by boat, but we walked. Also, for the 2md half of that stage, the yellow arrows disappeared so we made our own route! Definitely not on the N550 which was more direct, but on quieter, windier and therefore longer minor country roads!

As I mentioned in a reply to Dan's post last week, it was a wonderful 6 days!!

Hi, I agree, you could detour onto the Variante Espiritual after Pontevedra, so you would walk:

Vigo to Redondela
To Pontevedra
To Armenteira
To Vilanova da Arousa
To Padron (by boat)
To Santiago

That would be just over 100kms of walking.

By the way, the official walk out of Vigo is really nice. You contour around the hills, through shady forests, way above the busy roads of Vigo below you. And fantastic views.
Jill

Jill and Jean,

Thanks for the feedback folks, that is really useful information. Sadly we only have x4 main days of walking so I am going to convince my fellow walking buddies to walk a few kilometres on the day we arrive to get us up and away! We'll maybe head back on ourselves towards Oia and start along there somewhere, nice and easy to break us in!!!

We'll have GPS with us as we go so will know how we are going and how much we need to do as we walk.

If any of you have any blogs/pictures I'd love to see them...my personal e-mail address is neilsanchez72@hotmail.com

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back