• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Viverone to Vercelli

Bob from L.A. !

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis 2012, 2014, 2016. Camino Norte 2018
Last night, after a hot day yesterday, it poured rain for several hours over Viverone.
I was out the door at 6 A.M. and began walking in the humid, sticky weather for my long day to Vercelli.
Leaving so early is a double edged sword; you can beat the heat, but you can't find a cup of coffee.
Today's walk was long, but was predictably uneventful until I reached the lowlands where I encountered flooded rice fields, standing water and yes....Mosquitoes!
As I sit here tapping this out on my cellphone I am periodically scratching three new mosquitoe bites on my calves that were not present yesterday.

Attachments

• 20230620_073528.jpg
    20230620_073528.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1,966
  • 20230620_074625.jpg
    20230620_074625.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • 20230620_090456.jpg
    20230620_090456.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
  • 20230620_071614.jpg
    20230620_071614.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
  • 20230620_071939.jpg
    20230620_071939.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Stayed at the Vercelli Palace on the outskirts of the town along with about 50 Carabinieri who must of been there for some sort of conference.

Breakfast was interesting with me and 50 police who were armed by then as they were about to leave. Was very, very careful not to make any sudden moves over the croissants.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What about snakes Bob? Any encounters? Alert & wariness regarding this subject is part of Aussie DNA by the way...
My tip; if a lizard darts across your path, hesitate just for a split second to ensure nothing is in hot pursuit! I don't know who got the bigger fright 😳...me or the snake...but thanks to my presence, the lizard got away.
👣🌏

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@TassieKaz - Great point about the lizards. I have seen hundreds of them.
The only snake 🐍 encounter thus far is a dead one.

You're on the flat bit now for a while and you'll be crossing a number of streams. If you keep your eyes open there are beaver-like animals (or very large rats) that pop in and out of the streams. Tried to get a pic of one close to this bridge but failed as they bury themselves in the undergrowth.

A diversion from counting the mosquito bites.

Edit: Apparently they are called nutria or coypu. Better pic here

Attachments

• fee09e65b2bd34bca296cd45551bb078.jpg
    fee09e65b2bd34bca296cd45551bb078.jpg
    428.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What about snakes Bob? Any encounters? Alert & wariness regarding this subject is part of Aussie DNA by the way...
My tip; if a lizard darts across your path, hesitate just for a split second to ensure nothing is in hot pursuit! I don't know who got the bigger fright 😳...me or the snake...but thanks to my presence, the lizard got away.
👣🌏
I walked in July and August 2015. Saw a lot of lizards. An astonishing number on the lake shore paths between Lausanne and Montreux where one seemed to dive out of the way at almost every step. I saw three live snakes in total between Canterbury and Rome and none were venomous. I did see quite a few more as roadkill. There are four very similar viper species in Italy - all closely related to the north European adder. You certainly do not want to be bitten by one but their venom is very modest by Aussie standards. Still important to find medical help in the very rare event of a bite but a treated bite is most unlikely to cause long-term permanent damage.

I walked in July and August 2015. Saw a lot of lizards. An astonishing number on the lake shore paths between Lausanne and Montreux where one seemed to dive out of the way at almost every step. I saw three live snakes in total between Canterbury and Rome and none were venomous. I did see quite a few more as roadkill. There are four very similar viper species in Italy - all closely related to the north European adder. You certainly do not want to be bitten by one but their venom is very modest by Aussie standards. Still important to find medical help in the very rare event of a bite but a treated bite is most unlikely to cause long-term permanent damage.
And don't forget our old mates the mamushi pit vipers in Japan.... 🐍🏯
👣🌏

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Last night, after a hot day yesterday, it poured rain for several hours over Viverone.
I was out the door at 6 A.M. and began walking in the humid, sticky weather for my long day to Vercelli.
Leaving so early is a double edged sword; you can beat the heat, but you can't find a cup of coffee.
Today's walk was long, but was predictably uneventful until I reached the lowlands where I encountered flooded rice fields, standing water and yes....Mosquitoes!
As I sit here tapping this out on my cellphone I am periodically scratching three new mosquitoe bites on my calves that were not present yesterday.
I think you’ll be scratching for a few more days!!
Those rice fields seemed to go on and on
will never forget those little critters

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think you’ll be scratching for a few more days!!
Those rice fields seemed to go on and on
will never forget those little critters
Yikes...the mosquito infested rice fields going on and on?😱 I don't think I will ever decide to do "the whole nine yards" of the Via F.🙄, but possibly a repeat of Lucca to Rome; loved it all!

Yikes...the mosquito infested rice fields going on and on?😱 I don't think I will ever decide to do "the whole nine yards" of the Via F.🙄, but possibly a repeat of Lucca to Rome; loved it all!
Just looked up what I wrote one day in the Po Valley: "Day 39 - Gropello Cairoli to Santa Cristina
It rained several times during the night and the ground was wet when I left the ostello. It soon turned out to be a warm morning and the two elements combined to produce a rich crop of biting insects. Despite dousing myself with repellent I seem to be irresistible. The problem only became worse as the route left the rice fields and instead ran through woodland next to the Ticino river for the final 7km or so into Pavia. There were moments of irritation so intense I think I lost all sense of proportion. If it was in my power I
would have drained the entire north Italian plain from Genoa to the Adriatic and covered the entire countryside in concrete. Perhaps an overreaction."

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Jougne, the end of the last stage in France? Thanks. Karl
Can't get into the official Via Francigena site. I've used it for years, but today all I get when I try to enter it is 'File not found". For example, if I enter...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.