• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Voie de Rocamadour/GR 652: Embellishment. Église Notre-Dame de Moirax.

lovingkindness

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Moirax since it's foundation in the eleventh century has been a halt along the way for pilgrims on their way to Santiago de Compostella. It is one day's walk from Agen and on the way to La Romieu (Voie de Rocamadour/GR 652). Église Notre-Dame de Moirax is a fine example of romanesque architecture and has a noteworthy collection of wooden panels carved in rounds, misericordias and stalls by Jean Tournière (1699).

A few days ago, having found an old Guide Joanne with an excellent description of the romanesque features of the church in Moirax, I decided to translate a portion and add a few of my own photos as illustration. I located other 19th and early 20th century sources including sketches and a lithograph by Abbé Barrère (1855) and an online collection of vintage postcards. I have put them all together here in a resource for you to enjoy.

Resource: Voie de Rocamadour/GR 652: Embellishment. Église Notre-Dame de Moirax

Moirax and the surrounding countryside warrants a day or two's rest and exploration. There is a gîte d'étape and café-épicerie in a quaint building beside the square. Pilgrims arrive in Moirax from Agen or La Romieu (Voie de Rocamadour/ GR652) and also from Aubiac or Layrac (Chemin Clunisian de Guyenne).

Bonne Chemin!
Lovingkindness

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum