• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walk from O Castro Dozón to Lalin via N-525 road: Terrain and Route Information

Kev&Kath

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - Oct/Dec 2021
VdlP - Apr/Jun 2023
A question for those that have walked the Sanabres. Coming out of O Castro (Dozon) is it possible to walk directly to Lalin? Gronze Map (Stage 35B) infers it is a route (by road - N-525). Terrain is an unknown for me, and Google Maps has this route down at about 3 hours of walking. I'd really appreciate knowing what the 'lay of the land' is in this area, and if there is a walking track from O Castro to Lalin.

Thanks in advance!

Kev

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Kev
I wish the Albergue would reopen in Castro Dozen. That does cause a problem.
Unless you walk to Lalin on the N525 you can continue on the Sanabrese to Estacion de Lalin and detour 3.4kms east to Lalin. John Brierley writes about that in his Sanabrese /Invierno guide book
There is a hostal and Pension in Estacion.

A question for those that have walked the Sanabres. Coming out of O Castro (Dozon) is it possible to walk directly to Lalin? Gronze Map (Stage 35B) infers it is a route (by road - N-525). Terrain is an unknown for me, and Google Maps has this route down at about 3 hours of walking. I'd really appreciate knowing what the 'lay of the land' is in this area, and if there is a walking track from O Castro to Lalin.
Hi Kev, actually I'm not sure that people who've walked the Sanabres would know, as we didn't go that way! We bypassed Lalin on the way (typically) to the albergue at A Laxe.
I suggest you open up Mapy.cz, navigate to the Lalin area and make sure you have selected 'Outdoor' map. Then you'll be able to see exactly how the camino route passes to the West of Lalin town (and also see that the Invierno goes right through it). And you'll be able to see a number of small roads that branch off at different places up and back towards Lalin. Looks like you've got plenty of options to choose from.
PS if you are concerned about getting lost when you go off-piste, you can download the mapy.cz app along with the relevant map (free) your phone and then if you have GPS you can track where you are in relation to the camino and Lalin without using contract data. Worked faultlessly for me on a recent camino.
Cheers, tom

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A few forum members have offered some options to deal with the closure of the albergue in Castro Dozón.

Check here and here. Of course, you may have a specific reason for wanting to go to Lalín, which as @peregrino_tom has pointed out, is a well equipped big town on the Invierno. It has private albergue and several hotels/pensiones.

This wikiloc track shows a route from Castro Dozón to Lalín and then back to A Laxe. It is a stage on the Caminho Portugues Interior, which goes from Viseu to Santiago and overlaps with the Sanabrés in parts. It shows a fair amount along the N-525, but it looks like there are some paths for good chunks. Even if you don’t use wikiloc for its GPS tracks, the map will answer some of your questions and you can also see the elevation profile. Good luck!

I did Dozon to Lalin in 2019 before the pandemic. The trek between Dozon and Lalin doesn't standout in my memory. What does stand out is that it was going to rain hard for a couple of days and the below listed Albergue had no problem me staying for 3 nights. The really sweet family ran the around the corner restaurant and I had several tasty meals there. You need to book ahead. The lady spoke enough English to set up a reservation.

Hi Kev, actually I'm not sure that people who've walked the Sanabres would know, as we didn't go that way! We bypassed Lalin on the way (typically) to the albergue at A Laxe.
I suggest you open up Mapy.cz, navigate to the Lalin area and make sure you have selected 'Outdoor' map. Then you'll be able to see exactly how the camino route passes to the West of Lalin town (and also see that the Invierno goes right through it). And you'll be able to see a number of small roads that branch off at different places up and back towards Lalin. Looks like you've got plenty of options to choose from.
PS if you are concerned about getting lost when you go off-piste, you can download the mapy.cz app along with the relevant map (free) your phone and then if you have GPS you can track where you are in relation to the camino and Lalin without using contract data. Worked faultlessly for me on a recent camino.
Cheers, tom
Tom..thank you so much! I'll take your advice re: Mapy.cz. I'm not familiar with the app, but will check it out today.

Really appreciate your feedback....cheers!

Kev

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.