• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gronze Stage 38B - Cea to O Castro (Dozon)

Kev&Kath

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - Oct/Dec 2021
VdlP - Apr/Jun 2023
Again, a question for those that have walked the Sanabres - the stage from Cea to O Castro (Dozon) has an alternate route via Oseira. According to Gronze the alternate is only a couple of kilometers longer. Which did you take?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We chose the Oseira route, to visit/stay at the monastery, and that's what almost everyone did the day we did it. I don't know if anything has changed but there was no accommodation in O Castro (Dozon) in 2022 as the albergue was closed for non-Covid reasons. So we did a short day from Cea to the monastery and stayed there, and then went to Botos the next day, staying at the Taberna de Vento.

Last edited:
I've walked both routes. As @jungleboy says, Castro Dozon is currently closed but due to reopen some time this year. Oseira is interesting and has a new Xunta albergue. I walked it once from Ourense, longish day but doable.

Cea to Castro Dozon direct is 14.6km, through Oseira it's 19km.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I also went to Mosteiro Santa María de Oseira. It is a very short and pleasant walk from Cea. The monastery has been restored and there is a tour. There are spectacular columns. The Trappist monks are very hospitable. A brand new Albergue opened in 2022. Two bars in town. When I walked there in June 2021, there was a freak heat wave, here nestled in the mountains it was cool. Totally worth visiting.

Attachments

• 6191CC3B-6069-439D-BF5E-69F0846AD254.jpeg
    6191CC3B-6069-439D-BF5E-69F0846AD254.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 8
  • 098B4AC3-408A-4E91-BB3F-6A1059D61311.jpeg
    098B4AC3-408A-4E91-BB3F-6A1059D61311.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • DD1EA881-FB36-413C-8954-9E355C34D0C2.jpeg
    DD1EA881-FB36-413C-8954-9E355C34D0C2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • C45D679D-E56A-4EAD-BDF2-471C56D26895.jpeg
    C45D679D-E56A-4EAD-BDF2-471C56D26895.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • 234B0760-6415-447C-8347-AE1554E8531C.jpeg
    234B0760-6415-447C-8347-AE1554E8531C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • B1DB224A-A332-467B-B86B-E6E344CA822B.jpeg
    B1DB224A-A332-467B-B86B-E6E344CA822B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • 2A67E0B4-06C6-40DE-92D3-36DEEC2B3B96.jpeg
    2A67E0B4-06C6-40DE-92D3-36DEEC2B3B96.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 6E09F1D1-4D87-4430-8DB1-9B859D90EF3C.jpeg
    6E09F1D1-4D87-4430-8DB1-9B859D90EF3C.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 5
  • 5FF0B9DB-FD95-47D1-B8E3-F13154110E28.jpeg
    5FF0B9DB-FD95-47D1-B8E3-F13154110E28.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 51A70D1F-FB97-4031-A036-DFF0B132C34E.jpeg
    51A70D1F-FB97-4031-A036-DFF0B132C34E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
I’ve done both routes and if this was my first time, I’d do as others have suggested and go via Oseira. The other route is fine but the monastery is definitely one of the highlights of the Sanabres.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The new albergue at Oseira is purpose built and excellent! In Spring 2022, there weren't many affordable food options nearby, so take some ingredients for dinner!

Again, a question for those that have walked the Sanabres - the stage from Cea to O Castro (Dozon) has an alternate route via Oseira. According to Gronze the alternate is only a couple of kilometers longer. Which did you take?
Walked the route through Oseira. The monastery there is a great piece of history. It’s well worth the few extra km.

Bit of a no brainer. The walk to Oseira is nice and the impressive monastery just appears in a lovely setting. The walk to Dozon out of the monastery valley and down and out of the next one is also really lovely especially if accompanied by the local big black guide dog ! We had trouble with accommodation and decided to walk slightly off track to Lalin which was a good option to keep up your sleeve if you have accommodation issues. (Thanks ozannie)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Bit of a no brainer. The walk to Oseira is nice and the impressive monastery just appears in a lovely setting. The walk to Dozon out of the monastery valley and down and out of the next one is also really lovely especially if accompanied by the local big black guide dog ! We had trouble with accommodation and decided to walk slightly off track to Lalin which was a good option to keep up your sleeve if you have accommodation issues. (Thanks ozannie)
Again..you provide great advice. Much appreciated! We took the Samos alternate on the Frances...and very much enjoyed our aftrnoon tour, and evening Mass, at the monastery.

Walked the route through Oseira. The monastery there is a great piece of history. It’s well worth the few extra km.
Ernie...definitely thinking that way now. I wasn't sure what the terrain was like on that alternate to the monastery, but not reading any alarm bells on the route from your, and others, comments. Looking forward to the 'detour'.

The new albergue at Oseira is purpose built and excellent! In Spring 2022, there weren't many affordable food options nearby, so take some ingredients for dinner!
Thanks Tandem...noted on the rations advice!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I’ve done both routes and if this was my first time, I’d do as others have suggested and go via Oseira. The other route is fine but the monastery is definitely one of the highlights of the Sanabres.
Nick thanks for that. It is our first time on the Sanabres...so Oseira it is! Cheers.

Yes, take the route to Oseira, with the option of going on. We enjoyed the monastery very much. We did walk on all the way to Estación de Lalín but it was very long. The Roman roads you will walk on in both sections, while rough, are esthetically very pleasing! You can have a look at our walk here: https://www.pilgrimagetraveler.com/camino-sanabres-cea-to-estacion-de-lalin.html
Thanks so much Elle. Your advice certainly mirrors those that have kindly responded. Oh..btw...I'm quite enjoying your 'Spiritual Journey...' writings. Really appreciate you taking the time to include. Its a good read, with lots of info for the novice!!

I also went to Mosteiro Santa María de Oseira. It is a very short and pleasant walk from Cea. The monastery has been restored and there is a tour. There are spectacular columns. The Trappist monks are very hospitable. A brand new Albergue opened in 2022. Two bars in town. When I walked there in June 2021, there was a freak heat wave, here nestled in the mountains it was cool. Totally worth visiting.
El thank you! The Oseira monastery is sounding like a real highlight of the Sanabres. I'm very happy I asked the question. Hopefully, we avoid any weather that might be described as 'freak' lol. God willing, and if our schedule holds to plan, we'll be in the area very late May this year, so sort of planning of weather to the warmer side of the scale. Thanks again for your advice....and a peek at the monastery. Great pics!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I've walked both routes. As @jungleboy says, Castro Dozon is currently closed but due to reopen some time this year. Oseira is interesting and has a new Xunta albergue. I walked it once from Ourense, longish day but doable.

Cea to Castro Dozon direct is 14.6km, through Oseira it's 19km.

Thanks Gerald. The consensus of responses clearly points to the value of a trip to Oseira - particularly - as you point out - the impost in extra kms is not that great. Thanks again for taking the time to advise. Cheers.

We chose the Oseira route, to visit/stay at the monastery, and that's what almost everyone did the day we did it. I don't know if anything has changed but there was no accommodation in O Castro (Dozon) in 2022 as the albergue was closed for non-Covid reasons. So we did a short day from Cea to the monastery and stayed there, and then went to Botos the next day, staying at the Taberna de Vento.
Thank you jungleboy - response really appreciated, and I suspect we'll be following the same route after a night in Cea. We're quite flexible on accommodation outcomes, so quite happy to see the options you've highlighted. Cheers!

Ernie...definitely thinking that way now. I wasn't sure what the terrain was like on that alternate to the monastery, but not reading any alarm bells on the route from your, and others, comments. Looking forward to the 'detour'.
It’s a bit of elevation leaving from Oseira but not for a long distance.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As if you need any further encouragement to visit Oseira…couldn’t resist posting the sello from the monastery. Do any of you have a picture of the sello from the new Albergue?

Attachments

• 0AE50552-4066-4A8F-BDCE-6DDD161D23FF.jpeg
    0AE50552-4066-4A8F-BDCE-6DDD161D23FF.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back