• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

walk the camino from Sarria

Bill Jolloff

Myself and my wife want to walk the camino from Sarria. We are new to this and have never been out fo the US. Can anyone give me some tips on how to best get to Spain from the US and if T should work with a tour company in Spain to make this the exciting journey that we hope for Thank You

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Bill.

Thousands of people make this trip alone every year, and many have never traveled internationally.
You can do it alone!

What part of the US do you live in?
I would suggest you look for tickets to/from Santiago online.
I've had good luck getting affordable tickets via CheapOAir's website.
Try different days - fares can change hundreds of dollars between days of the week.

From Santiago, you can bus to Sarria to start.
The buses in Spain are unlike our horrible Greyhounds.
They are actually Mercedes buses and are very nice!

I know some folks don't care for Brierley's guidebook, but I have used it for years and love it.
You don't really need to take it along with you, but for reference now and for planning your trip, it can be interesting.
You can get it on www.amazon.com
He makes a guidebook and a simple map book.
I like both but for a first-timer I'd suggest the regular guidebook.

Once you have your ticket, I would make reservations in Santiago for lodging.
I love Hospederia San Martin Pinario there.
PM me if you'd like the email address - you can book online but it's very expensive unless you ask specifically for "pilgrim rooms."

You can pick up your credential in Sarria at the albergue.
There will be hundreds of people walking, depending on when you are going so you can just follow the herd and the yellow arrows.
Just decide ahead of time how many kilometers per day you want to walk.
If you'd like to book private lodging, PM me and I'll give you some ideas.
Sometimes it's not that much more expensive to book a private room than it is for two people to stay in the albergue.

You can find packing lists upon packing lists here online.
You won't need much for that short trek.

If you decide you can't do it alone, there are several people on this forum, including myself, who offer group trips.
There is a special section where we post our websites.

Whatever you decide, Buen Camino!
Annie

Hi Bill,
Annie has given you very good advice. I'll only add a couple of things (OK, its more than a couple):

1. If you've never been out of the US, you probably need passports; apply ASAP as it can take several weeks to get the documents.

2. Join the American Pilgrims on the Camino (http://americanpilgrims.com/), and if you're anywhere near one of their local chapters, check out the chapter schedule of events between now and the time you plan to leave. Depending on where you're located, the local chapter may have a one-on-one mentoring program, so check that out. We live in Denver, and our chapter has that program (the chapter covers the entire Front Range area, so you don't actually have to live in the Denver metro area.) You can also get your Pilgrims' Passports from the American Pilgrims, so that's one less thing you'll have to worry about upon arrival in Spain.

3. Assuming you're not a regular hiker, start assembling your gear and begin training. There are numerous threads on this forum regarding what to take, how to pack, and how to train. Take advantage of this tremendous resource.

4. If you're near an REI, join their co-op and let the knowledgeable staff there help you to get fitted with the most important part of your gear kit: boots/hiking shoes and backpacks.

5. Yes, there are tour companies that will arrange everything for you, but there's really no rocket science involved, so you can easily arrange everything yourself -- airfare, ground transportation from Santiago to Sarria, lodging along the way, etc. Again, this forum is a great resource for planning all that. Plus, going on your own means you have the flexibility to stop anywhere along the way and not be tied to a fixed itinerary.

6. I'll second Annies' recommendation of having a good guidebook. The Brierley would be my first choice, but there are other. Just do a search on this forum for several threads about guidebooks.

7. Start training for the Camino as soon as possible. If you're not regular hikers, just start with walks around your neighborhood, gradually increasing the frequency, distance and load in your backpack until you get to a point where you're comfortable walking 12 to 18 miles fully loaded as you'll be traveling on the Camino. Use these walks to break in and evaluate your footwear, backpacks, and other gear. If you join REI and get your gear there, they have a very liberal return policy in case, for instance, you decide that your boots/hiking shoes or your backpacks are not a good fit.

8. If you want to get a nifty Camino patch to sew on your backpacks, here's a source here in the US: http://www.patchquartermaster.com/C...age_Trail_Patch_p/spcdspptw_the-way_patch.htm

Hope this helps. Feel free to send me a private message by clicking on my name under the icon photo in the left margin of this page, then click "Start a conversation" in the the menu that pops up.

Buen Camino,
Jim

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Bill.

Thousands of people make this trip alone every year, and many have never traveled internationally.
You can do it alone!

What part of the US do you live in?
I would suggest you look for tickets to/from Santiago online.
I've had good luck getting affordable tickets via CheapOAir's website.
Try different days - fares can change hundreds of dollars between days of the week.

From Santiago, you can bus to Sarria to start.
The buses in Spain are unlike our horrible Greyhounds.
They are actually Mercedes buses and are very nice!

I know some folks don't care for Brierley's guidebook, but I have used it for years and love it.
You don't really need to take it along with you, but for reference now and for planning your trip, it can be interesting.
You can get it on www.amazon.com
He makes a guidebook and a simple map book.
I like both but for a first-timer I'd suggest the regular guidebook.

Once you have your ticket, I would make reservations in Santiago for lodging.
I love Hospederia San Martin Pinario there.
PM me if you'd like the email address - you can book online but it's very expensive unless you ask specifically for "pilgrim rooms."

You can pick up your credential in Sarria at the albergue.
There will be hundreds of people walking, depending on when you are going so you can just follow the herd and the yellow arrows.
Just decide ahead of time how many kilometers per day you want to walk.
If you'd like to book private lodging, PM me and I'll give you some ideas.
Sometimes it's not that much more expensive to book a private room than it is for two people to stay in the albergue.

You can find packing lists upon packing lists here online.
You won't need much for that short trek.

If you decide you can't do it alone, there are several people on this forum, including myself, who offer group trips.
There is a special section where we post our websites.

Whatever you decide, Buen Camino!
Annie

Hi Bill,
Annie has given you very good advice. I'll only add a couple of things (OK, its more than a couple):

1. If you've never been out of the US, you probably need passports; apply ASAP as it can take several weeks to get the documents.

2. Join the American Pilgrims on the Camino (http://americanpilgrims.com/), and if you're anywhere near one of their local chapters, check out the chapter schedule of events between now and the time you plan to leave. Depending on where you're located, the local chapter may have a one-on-one mentoring program, so check that out. We live in Denver, and our chapter has that program (the chapter covers the entire Front Range area, so you don't actually have to live in the Denver metro area.) You can also get your Pilgrims' Passports from the American Pilgrims, so that's one less thing you'll have to worry about upon arrival in Spain.

3. Assuming you're not a regular hiker, start assembling your gear and begin training. There are numerous threads on this forum regarding what to take, how to pack, and how to train. Take advantage of this tremendous resource.

4. If you're near an REI, join their co-op and let the knowledgeable staff there help you to get fitted with the most important part of your gear kit: boots/hiking shoes and backpacks.

5. Yes, there are tour companies that will arrange everything for you, but there's really no rocket science involved, so you can easily arrange everything yourself -- airfare, ground transportation from Santiago to Sarria, lodging along the way, etc. Again, this forum is a great resource for planning all that. Plus, going on your own means you have the flexibility to stop anywhere along the way and not be tied to a fixed itinerary.

6. I'll second Annies' recommendation of having a good guidebook. The Brierley would be my first choice, but there are other. Just do a search on this forum for several threads about guidebooks.

7. Start training for the Camino as soon as possible. If you're not regular hikers, just start with walks around your neighborhood, gradually increasing the frequency, distance and load in your backpack until you get to a point where you're comfortable walking 12 to 18 miles fully loaded as you'll be traveling on the Camino. Use these walks to break in and evaluate your footwear, backpacks, and other gear. If you join REI and get your gear there, they have a very liberal return policy in case, for instance, you decide that your boots/hiking shoes or your backpacks are not a good fit.

8. If you want to get a nifty Camino patch to sew on your backpacks, here's a source here in the US: http://www.patchquartermaster.com/C...age_Trail_Patch_p/spcdspptw_the-way_patch.htm

Hope this helps. Feel free to send me a private message by clicking on my name under the icon photo in the left margin of this page, then click "Start a conversation" in the the menu that pops up.

Buen Camino,
Jim

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Jim. We have our passports already and we are thinking of making the trip sometime in June. Thanks for all the great information and any other tips you have to offer would be a great help to us. Thanks again

Hi Bill,

Just a note to say I hope you and your wife enjoy the planning as much as the journey itself. As a first-timer last September/October I relied so much on the kind of advice you've already received from those who have walked before. Though I'm now home (west coast of Canada), a part of me remains on the Camino or maybe it's that a part of the Camino remains in me and may it always be so ... memories of people, places, kindnesses offered and received. Buen Camino. :)

Bill- from Portland you have very good possibilities of connections thru Dallas-Ft. Worth on Iberia/Delta/American Airlines/British Airways, etc... I would fly out to Madrid and use a connecting flight to Santiago de Compostela (i.e. Iberia Airlines), take a day rest, and the next day head out to Sarria by train or bus and start your Camino. There are companies that will take the planning off your hands for a fee and often, hefty. In the era of internet and travel forums there is absolutely NO reason why you could not do this planning on your own.

First off: flights.-- go check the websites for the airlines. Also check some consolidators (kayak, cheaptickets.com. etc....). Buy from an online consolidator ONLY and ONLY if the price you get from them or the itinerary is absolutely a great deal. Otherwise, ALWAYS buy directly from the airline. If you have an issue, you will be glad you only have to deal with the airline because they sell you the ticket. Know your trigger: for you route anything below $1200/pp is a good price (....yes, tickets from the USA for European travel have gone up some ridiculous amount...urghhh!). So, if you see something around that price that meets your time brackets, pull the trigger and don't look back :)

Lodging: there are about 3-4 databases roaming around this forum that list every hotel, albergue, Inn, Rural House, and Momma & Poppa's spare room along the Camino. You will be amazed how well connected to the internet rural Spain is, including fabulous websites and proficient email communication, including the use of English for reservations. Check the "resources" section on this forum or do a "search". If you cannot find it, please post. There is a list with only albergues and another all inclusive.

If you want your bags transferred, I recommend Jacotrans.com. Reliable, great value and they will provide you with a list of lodging from where they pick-up/drop off along the Camino. Typically, one bag is about 7 Euros/day. They pick upa round 8am. You walk with a small backpack. Know that this is a very personal choice often used as a last option for those who have physical limitations but still want to have the Camino experience.

Please let us know how is your planning coming along. I am actually heading out to the Camino again in June (I have been to the Camino every year since 2011; twice in 2013!).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Myself and my wife want to walk the camino from Sarria. We are new to this and have never been out fo the US. Can anyone give me some tips on how to best get to Spain from the US and if T should work with a tour company in Spain to make this the exciting journey that we hope for Thank You

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Sarria to Santiago de Compostela is easy to do by yourself and in June you will be in company with many, lots of many other pilgrims who will be happy to advise, to converse, and to share your Camino. A tour company will be happy to take big handfulls of your money but this option will guarantee security for all things concerning lodging and food (many other pilgrims searching for the same), communication with the locals, and probably a minibus for those who run out of gas while walking-considerations which may be important for you both. You will also be branded as tourigrinos, a unpleasant term in Spenglish-tourist+peligrino or pilgrim defining weekend warriors and those with companies. Last year 250,000 people walked into Santiago and received their Compostela document-there is no reason why you cannot do the same. The route is well marked, not particularly difficult, and quite lovely-in parts. My advice? Avoid cities such as Melide, Arzua, Arca-none especially pleasant. Avoid at all costs the so called Pilgrim Pavilion called Os Chacotes just before Palas de Rei-big barn of a place on several floors beds all on top of each other. And sadly the Mount Gozo lodging as well, unless you just like army barracks, it has all the noise and smell and feeling of a barracks, modern but barracks. Stopover in the villages, small out of the way places say the La Bodeguina albergue just before Portomarin or in Ligonde village look for the wayside cross there or Portos, the last not especially nice but it will allow you a side trip to see the wonderful Vilar de Donas church museum close by-2km down the road opposite . Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Check your flights here:

http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You are going to have an idea, what connections you have to get. Once you find what you need, copy the information and give it to travel agent or buy directly from the airline

YOU CAN NOT BUY TICKETS HERE (YOU ARE NOT A TRAVEL AGENT). IT IS ONLY FOR INFORMATION

I doubt that you will find any direct flights from North America to Santiago, so you are more likely to fly in and out of Madrid, and need to get to and from Santiago from there.

One way is to fly, using one the local carriers, Air Vueling (ww.vueling.com/en) or Iberian Airlines (www.iberia.com/?language=en). Another alternative is to take the overnight train from Madrid to
Santiago.

However, my recommendation, if you have time, is to stay overnight in
Madrid at a hotel near the airport, and then take a train the next morning
to Leon and stay overnight and do some sightseeing the day you arrive.
There are several trains a day between Madrid and Leon and the travel
time is about 4 hours.

The next day, take a bus to Lugo, and from there either take a bus or
a taxi to Sarria arriving sometime in the afternoon. There are several
buses a day from Leon to Lugo and its about a 4 hour bus ride, so you
should be able to get there before noon.

From Lugo there are several buses a day to Sarria which would only
cost a couple of euros, but given that its only about 35km you can
probably get a taxi for about 40 euros and that may be the preferred
alternative if you would otherwise end up waiting a couple of hours
for the next bus.

At the end when you need to get back to Madrid from Santiago I'd just
reverse the connections, that is, take a bus from Santiago to Leon, and
a train from Leon to Madrid.

As I recall the bus leaves Santiago at 8AM and arrives in Leon around
2PM so you would stay overnight and do some more sightseeing and take
a train the next morning to Madrid. Best to buy the train ticket the
afternoon that you arrive in Leon instead of waiting until the next
morning. The train station and the bus terminal are both within easy
walking distance of one another and the center of town.

Bill, If you get stuck let me know. I do this on a regular basis.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

The airport in Madrid is called Barajas (MAD). There are 4 terminals. T1, T2, and T3 are connected while T4 is reached via shuttle.

Madrid Airport (MAD)
http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Madrid-Barajas/en/

Information about the shuttle to T4 is located here
http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee...554331229//Connections-between-terminals.html

Connections to Madrid include subway (Metro) and light rail transit (Cercanius). The Metro has stations at T1T2T3 and at T4. The trains run every 6 - 12 minutes. Cercanius has a station at T4 and runs every 30 minutes. EMT Madrid operates a bright yellow express bus every 13 -20 minutes from the airport T1-T2-T3 and airport T4 to Puerta de Atocha with two stops enroute.

Madrid Metro
http://www.metromadrid.es/en/index.html

Madrid Metro Map
http://www.metromadrid.es/export/sites/metro/comun/documentos/planos/Planomayo2013.pdf

Madrid Cercanius (operated by Renfe). Cercanius trains go direct to Chamartin station and Puerto Atocha station.
http://www.renfe.com/viajeros/cercanias/madrid/index.html

EMT Madrid
http://www.emtmadrid.es/lineaAeropuerto/index.html

Option 1 - Take the train from Madrid to Sarria.

Renfe is Spain's train system. Madrid has two major train stations; Puerto de Atocha and Chamartin. You will need to know which station your train is leaving from. At time of writing trains to Sarria leave from Chamartin. Be aware that transfers may be required so check the itenerary.

Puerto de Atocha is reached by Metro. Take line 8 from airport T1-T2-T3 or T4 to Nuevos Ministerios; line 10 to Tribunal; and, line 1 to Renfe Atocha.

Chamartin is reached by Metro. Take line 8 from airport T1-T2-T3 or T4 to Nuevos Ministerios; and, line 10 to Chamartin.

Renfe (Spain's train system)
http://www.renfe.com/index.html

Option 2 - Take the bus from Madrid to Lugo and Lugo to Sarria

There are several bus stations in Madrid. ALSA is a major bus company in Spain. ALSA operates buses to Lugo from Barajas Airport T4; and, Estacion Sur. Note there are many other bus lines in Spain.

ALSA - Use the 'National' tab.
http://www.alsa.es/en/buy-and-schedules/national/?searchType=common

T4 - take the interterminal shuttle from T1-T2-T3 to T4

Estacion Sur de Autobuses de Madrid
http://www.estacionautobusesmadrid.com/frameset.html

Estacion Sur is located close to Metro Station Mendez Alvaro. Take line 8 from airport T1-T2-T3 or T4 to Colombia; Line 9 to Avenida de America; and, line 6 to Mendez Alvaro.

Monbus provides bus service from Lugo to Sarria
http://www.monbus.es/index2.htm

Option 3 - Fly from Madrid (or other connected airport) to Santiago. Catch the Empresa Freire bus from the airport to Lugo. Tranfer to the Monbus bus to Sarria.

Santiago Airport (SCQ) Labacolla (with flights to London, Madrid, Frankfurt, et al)
http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Santiago/en/Santiago.html

Empresa Freire bus service from Santiago to Santiago Airport and Lugo (transfer point to Sarria).
http://www.empresafreire.com/html/castelan/seccion0.php

Monbus provides bus service from Lugo to Sarria
http://www.monbus.es/index2.htm

Also of interest:

Sarria Consello Transportation Page
http://www.sarria.es/index.phpoption=com_content&view=article&id=109&itemid=132&lang=gl

There are other options. Barcelona has a major airport and is connected by Renfe to the rest of Spain. There is a major airport in Lisbon (Lisboa) Portugal with rail and bus connections to Vigo in Spain where you can transfer to Spains transport services.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I make a small suggestion if you have the time. I started last year three days further out in Villafranca de Bierzo. It made for a sort of taxing couple of days in the hills but the beauty and the enjoyment of not just starting with the throngs of tourists in Sarria was so worth it. I hated the morning out of Sarria - it was mobbed. It also means you could fly to Madrid, take a coach from the airport to Ponferrada (change at the bus station in Madrid City ). I stayed there overnight and took the morning bus 20 mins up the road to Villafranca and started walking. That first day was the most beautiful of my short Camino.... It also saves actually going to Santiago first and taking a coach back out. For me that would have felt of. If you want details if how the Madrid - Villafranca trip works let me know and I'll send the details.
Whatever you decide to do - Buen Camino.
I got hooked by the way. Starting in SJPP this year :))

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back