• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking alone in July

rwhite

I am planning walk in July from Leon to Santiago alone and I have to admit that I am a bit nervous. Any advice would be very welcome, Rachel

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
First: start early, at morning's first light.
Second: pace yourself.
Third: be well-hydrated.

As well, I would suggest that, on day one, proceeding out of Leon 6 km out, hang left at Virgen del Camino and proceed through Fresno and take your first night at Villar de Mazarife. Walking along the Leon road through Villadangos is not the most pleasant experience.

As far as being alone, you will not remain alone for long. It is likely that you will find yourself in the company of other pilgrims, making some incredible friends as you go along.

Rachel,
don't worry, you won't be alone for long. I started on my own, but soon knew all the fellow pilgrims around me. And some of them became really good friends of mine.
I agree with Oursonpolaire to take the route via Villar de Mazarife; and walking in July means it can get really hot during the day, so drinking a lot of water and starting early is a must. Also, get a good sun-protection and a big hat.
Rolf

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Rachel,

The Camino is a wonderful place and you will meet so many fellow peregrinos that you will never be truly alone. I walked from Roncesvalles to Santiago last year and although I met many people, I truly enjoyed walking by myself. Enjoy the experience!

Laura

July

Hi Rachael.... I walked alone last august and met some incredible people, you are only alone as much as you want to be. I also didn't come accross any safety/security problems, i had the time of my life, hopefully you will too! I also walked wearing my kilt which was certainly interesting.

Im also going back probably in July, hopefully this time from Leon to Santaigo (last time was from sarria)

Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.