• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

walking alone??

stjerneskud

hej everyone... today i was enjoying the sun on a bench and thinking a bit about life etc... then I suddenly got the idea to walk to Santiago (one day)... now I am looking for informations, but unfortunately I dont get that much as expected... but maybe you guys can help me...
I think lots of you travelled all by yourselfs... but can it be dangerous?? Is it easy to get in contact with people on the "cammino" (finding "friends" there) or is it more or less walking all alone and feel alone?? Are there a lot of young people?? i am 25, so I just wanna know if it is usual that people in that age do the cammino...
Thank you for your help...
Take care all of you
:)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I did the Camino last year. I am 60 and from USA. The Camino is mostly walked alone, more women than men. Ages are from 6 to 76. It is safe for everyone.

I enjoyed it so much I am going again at the end of August.

Hello,

I started my first camino alone, but soon met many people and made some very good friends on it. I was expecting to spend a lot of the trip alone but we walked together for much of the Way. I was 31 years old and met many younger pilgrims, from 18 years onwards. There were also many older pilgrims, up to a 92 year old French Priest and his younger companion ( a 60 y o priest), but it doesn't matter how old you are.Everyone is walking the Camino for such diverse reasons you will always find someone to walk with and talk to. If you only want to be around 20 somethings, then don't expect much. Get involved in the community spirit of the Camino and you will certainly not be alone.

Buen Camino
James

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ages, walking solo, and info.

The ages of the people who go on El Camino are very diverse. I've seen pictures of children who do it with their parents as well as older adults who do it alone. But my husband and I are planning to do the last 114km from Sarria to Santiago (Camino Frances) in July and we're both in our 20s (he's 23 and I'll be 22 by then).

There's a good chance that even if you are walking alone you'll be walking alongside people. So I would say that there's not a high risk to deciding to go solo.

We found most of the information we've needed on this forum and online. There are lots of external links and recommended reading for guides on the forum.

This is one of the most useful.
Confraternity of St. James
http://www.csj.org.uk/

Wikipedia also provides a couple of good ones.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Way_of_St_James

Hope this helps!

Al buen camino,
Eva

oh yeah, is it really walked alone? I'm a 23 y/o female a bit worried walking alone on the route. Also, a bit worried about places to stay at night. I've been doing research for that but never could figure it out how to make it till the morning. What's it like in the towns? is it easy to find lodging? I'm planning to do it next week-- 11th july till 12th Aug.
I just decided the other day. I wasn't really familiar with this pilgrimage. I was just compelled to do it. I din't even know the history behind Santiago de Compostela and the Pilgrims till I went online yesterday to find something about it.

hi there,
im 28 years old and i am planning on walking from Geneva to Santiago.
Im leaving my house in usa alone but i believe once on a pathway you will have the option to be alone, to make friends, find a walking companion etc. Dont become paranoid, its perfectly normal to second guess oneself, its even healthy. It is only because you are very serious in your considerations to walk that you find yourself nervous. If you have the time, funds, heart to walk then go walk. There will be plenty of possibilities for humility along the way.
good luck!
chris

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back