A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Walking from St jean on Good Friday hoping to stay in Valcarlos. Will albergue be open.

debbie13

Camino(s) past & future
First walkedfrom March to May 2009
Walking again in March 2018, planning to start from SJPP on 30th
Walking from St Jean on Good Friday, hoping to stay in Valcarlos that night. Does anyone have any information on how to obtain the key ifthe Alburgue is locked.? Will the bar be open?

Advertisment

mspath

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
The Valcarlos municipal albergue is great and you can reserve there; they have 24 places. Since the Valcarlos municipal has few beds a reservation is safest. The Pilgrim Office in SJPdP can call the albergue to reserve for you. Or you can send an email now to reserve your bunk to Luzaide-Valcarlos@wanadoo.es

At times the camino path to Valcarlos diverges off the road into the wood; in winter weather I always followed the roads parallel to the path. The roads are fine but do walk on the left-side verges facing traffic.

If you walk at dawn/dusk wear something bright and carry your light to flash towards on-coming traffic.

Between SJPdP and Valcarlos there is only one place for food/water/petrol near the old frontier; between Valcarlos and Roncesvalles there is no place for food nor potable water. Be prepared!

Good luck and Buen camino!

Last edited:

debbie13

Camino(s) past & future
Thanks so much for the reply

debbie13

Camino(s) past & future
Thanks Peter I'll look for your updates

Advertisment

tpmchugh

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2013)
Camino Frances (2015)
Walking from St Jean on Good Friday, hoping to stay in Valcarlos that night. Does anyone have any information on how to obtain the key ifthe Alburgue is locked.? Will the bar be open?
I recently started a thread on the same topic and there were quite a few replies giving all the info you could need. Unfortunately I dont know how to link you to another thread. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can redirect you

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 26 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 94 15.9%
  • May

Votes: 154 26.1%
  • June