• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking in April

TrishGray

Hi,

I'm starting from St Jean Pied de Port on the 30th March. Does anyone know if accommodation is a problem in April - I have heard that some places are'nt open this early in the season. Also, is it a good idea to have sandals as well as boots for walking in - does it get warm at this time of year? Is it cool at night?

Trish Gray

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Starting in March

Hi Trish,
March can be a beautiful month to walk (check out this pilgrim's site who is walking right now) There is a lot of snow about (and mud) but he says that the skies are clear.
http://warren.thenescience.com/?p=19

However, be prepared for freezing cold weather in the high places and snow - even on the lower places, and lost of mud!
Many refuges are open throughout the year, some with limited beds such as at Zubiri who offer 18 beds in winter. Others only open in May and some only in June/July.
I don't think you will have a problem finding beds though - even if you have to spend the od night in a fonda (inn).
Please listen to the locals in St Jean and if they tell you not to walk over the pass don't take a chance. There are some hottor stories of pilgrims dying in blizzards on the route Napoleon.
Have a wonderful walk!

Re: Starting in March

Thanks Sil - I'm not sure how to reply to you here - not done this before - I found Warren's blog and if he slows up I might even bump into him! I will take advice re weather and I wasn't planning the Napoleon route anyway, but obviously will need warm clothing, so it was very helpful. I suppose he must have found an internet cafe somewhere - my family will want me to keep in touch so it's good to know they exist over there. Best wishes, Trish
Hi Trish,
March can be a beautiful month to walk (check out this pilgrim's site who is walking right now) There is a lot of snow about (and mud) but he says that the skies are clear.
http://warren.thenescience.com/?p=19

However, be prepared for freezing cold weather in the high places and snow - even on the lower places, and lost of mud!
Many refuges are open throughout the year, some with limited beds such as at Zubiri who offer 18 beds in winter. Others only open in May and some only in June/July.
I don't think you will have a problem finding beds though - even if you have to spend the od night in a fonda (inn).
Please listen to the locals in St Jean and if they tell you not to walk over the pass don't take a chance. There are some hottor stories of pilgrims dying in blizzards on the route Napoleon.
Have a wonderful walk![/quote]

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Boots and sandals

Hi Trish, it's a good idea to take sandals as well as boots, just to have something comfortable to change into at the refugio after walking.

Trudy

Hi,
I will also be starting at SJPP around March 30. Flying into Paris from Sydney on the 24/3. Will spend a few days in Paris, a few in Lourdes then make my way to SJPP. Hope to say hello to you there.

I have my sandals and boots. I wondered whether it would be too cold for sandals but now feel better see it is a good idea.

I'm just about ready to go. A few final things to do like organise my notes and photocopies of pilgrim notes etc. Yet to pack up my backpack to see how it all fits together. And then I suppose the inevitable culling of what I don't really need.

Happy journeys.

Hi Moonwood, wear socks with your sandles. Not the sort of thing you would do at home, but as a you are a pilgrim noone will take any notice, certainly not other pilgrims. Comfort is the main thing.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Trish Gray
My daughter and I walked in May-June last year so I can't offer much advice about April but I noticed your last name. Wanted to wish you buen camino.

John Gray

hi trish!
ill be 1-2 day ahead of you
hope you have a safe trip
and where 3 place you can sleep in st-jean

Albergue de St Jean Pied de Port
E11 55 Rue de la Citadelle

Gite d'etape
E7 9 route de Uhuart Run by Mme. Etchegoin

Sous un Chemin d'etoile
E7 A basic Gite , 100 metres beyond the bridge.

(thank God for ppl like silly doll and her info she gave me)(and other 2) :wink:
im ready to face heavy snow rain sun anything mother nature is willing to give 8) nothing is goin to stop me

Moonwood - Hallo .. I plan to start walking from St J PdP on 30th March in the morning. The first day is apparently a gruelling climb all the way. I wonder if we will meet along the way. My daughter was in Sydney last month visiting a friend she had a brilliant time!
Hi,
I will also be starting at SJPP around March 30. Flying into Paris from Sydney on the 24/3. Will spend a few days in Paris, a few in Lourdes then make my way to SJPP. Hope to say hello to you there.

I have my sandals and boots. I wondered whether it would be too cold for sandals but now feel better see it is a good idea.

I'm just about ready to go. A few final things to do like organise my notes and photocopies of pilgrim notes etc. Yet to pack up my backpack to see how it all fits together. And then I suppose the inevitable culling of what I don't really need.

Happy journeys.[/quote] :roll:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back